WAMC (NJ Resident) - 3.38 cGPA, 3.19 sGPA, 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parallellipopetide

Reaction score
***Removed Personal Information***

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Zero non-clinical volunteering hours puts your application at risk of getting screened out of most schools.

Howard is an HBCU school. You need to show mission fit with them.

UCR highly prefers Inland Empire students.

Florida State: check OOS stats.

Zero non-clinical volunteering hours puts your application at risk of getting screened out of most schools.

Howard is an HBCU school. You need to show mission fit with them.

UCR highly prefers Inland Empire students.

Florida State: check OOS stats.
My non clinical volunteering experience is actually one of the reasons I decided to pursue pre med in college. I didn’t list anything specific in the activities but I did mention this in my personal statement. It was a bunch of volunteer work scattered thru different organizations. I had no idea non clinical volunteering was so important.

For Howard, there is a lot of overlap between me as a person and my application with their mission goals. Particularly towards service to minority groups.

As for UC Riverside, would it help that my uncle and cousins have lived and grew up there for 20+ years? I’m really close to them and would not mind moving to that area.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With no non clinical volunteering your chances for interviews at MD schools are low. UC Riverside admits zero non residents and Florida State only 3 or 4 a year. You may be able to receive interviews at some DO schools and I suggest all these:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
NOVA
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
ACOM
TUNCOM
Noorda-COM
AZCOM
CCOM
DMU-COM

Reactions: 1 users
As for UC Riverside, would it help that my uncle and cousins have lived and grew up there for 20+ years? I’m really close to them and would not mind moving to that area.
Did you talk with their admissions team before applying?

Read

Reactions: 1 users
  1. cGPA and sGPA
    1. cGPA: 3.38
    2. sGPA: 3.19
    3. Biochemistry major
  2. MCAT scores and breakdown
    1. 1st: 508 127/127/126/128
    2. 2nd: 507 127/127/127/126
    3. I took the first MCAT in April 2023 because of circumstances that wouldn’t have allowed me to take it earlier. I was scoring 128 on all 4 sections during practice so I expected a 512 on the actual one. I got a 508 so I rushed to retake in July 2023 but got a 507.

I applied to both MD and DO.
Albany Medical College
Cooper Rowan
Drexel
Florida State
Geisinger Commonwealth
Hackensack Meridian
Howard
Lewis Katz @ Temple
Penn State
Rutgers NJMS
Rutgers RWJ
Sidney Kimmel
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
UC Riverside
Rowan Virtua
NYITCOM
PCOM
LECOM
MUCOM
Other than LECOM these are all places I would be happy attending. Anything schools I should add?
Did you already apply for this cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I knew my chances would have been better if I waited and been able to take time off to study. But I keep feeling like I’m stuck in a dead end job.
Best of luck! Definitely remove UC Riverside and Florida State (don't bother submitting the secondaries) for those, and they take literally almost zero students from OOS every year.