What are my chances? Applying next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naik212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time poster. Was wondering if you guys could help me figure my chances for any of the DO programs around the country.

Current GPA: 3.81. Maybe standardize to ~3.75 by the time I apply.
First time MCAT: 24R (8, 8, 8)
Current Residence: KY
Ethnicity: Asian
ECs: 2 years of research. Participation in 2 premedical honor societies for ~3 years. 1 Year as treasurer of one of those premedical honor societies. ~70 hours of volunteering with various places(will work on this some more in the next year). ~30 hours of volunteering/shadowing in Zimbabwe, Africa during my summer vacation 2 years ago.

Goals to fulfill before application next June:
1) Volunteering! I feel like this is somewhat weak compared to some of the other people I have seen on this forum, so hopefully I can add another ~50 or so hours to this in the next year.
2) Shadowing American doctors. I will need to work on getting that LOR from a DO hopefully.
3) MCAT? I was wondering about this the most. I feel like the majority of my application may be OK, but the MCAT is on the weaker side. It was a balanced score however, so that may be positive, but I was extremely disappointed with this score. I have noticed that most of the DO schools seem to be averaging around 26 MCAT and this is starting to go up as the years progress. What do you guys think? Is my MCAT score competitive? Do other parts of my application make up for it? I will be retaking next year in march before the application cycle begins, but lets say worst case scenario comes around and I actually do worse or the same, will 24 give me a chance anywhere with everything else considered?

Thanks everyone for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

24 and Asian puts you in a bit of a spot. You're very right in that you need to volunteer but I feel like you can and should get more than 50 hours volunteering in the next 9 months. And yes, shadow a DO.
As for the MCAT, it's hard to say. Your GPA is great so it might be sufficient but I'm not certain here. Do you have a solid block of time you could study during? It might be worth a gap year to do so and for ECs.

Hey moosepig thanks for the response.

Right now, I'm actually finishing my senior year of undergrad. I decided not to apply this year because of the MCAT being low, and it being later in the cycle(and not having a DO LOR). I will probably be studying for the MCAT for the rest of the year and into next year until march, when I aim to take it. At this same time i'll be finishing my fall and spring semesters while also trying to add some volunteering hours.

The real big question is the MCAT I feel like, I don't think getting more volunteering hours and a DO LOR will be too tough. Do you feel like too many schools would rule out a 24 for me to be competitive? I will be taking it again either way, but it makes me extremely nervous knowing that if I mess up ill be looking at writing it for a 3rd time, which can never be good. Also I will automatically be "sitting out" a year because applying next cycle will mean I will only be matriculating fall of 2014 if I do. I would hate to not get accepted in 2013 and end up having to sit out until 2015.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey moosepig thanks for the response.

Right now, I'm actually finishing my senior year of undergrad. I decided not to apply this year because of the MCAT being low, and it being later in the cycle(and not having a DO LOR). I will probably be studying for the MCAT for the rest of the year and into next year until march, when I aim to take it. At this same time i'll be finishing my fall and spring semesters while also trying to add some volunteering hours.

The real big question is the MCAT I feel like, I don't think getting more volunteering hours and a DO LOR will be too tough. Do you feel like too many schools would rule out a 24 for me to be competitive? I will be taking it again either way, but it makes me extremely nervous knowing that if I mess up ill be looking at writing it for a 3rd time, which can never be good.

The 24 will disadvantage you at a lot of places, but there are a lot of new DO schools opening on the 24 side that you should certainly apply to.

as far as schools that I would be competitive at does anyone have an updated list of some kind? Right now the only schools I know of at around 24 are Pikeville and VCOM, but I've also heard they have preference for people from undeserved regions.

http://www.studentdoc.com/component...pe,do_school/selected_state,KY/view,doschool/

this seems to be pretty outdated because its #s are pretty old.

We don't know what ACOM or Marion will be, being first years, but probably around 24.

thanks a ton moosepig. If anyone else has any comments please don't hesitate. Any comments, critiques, or questions are welcomed!

Pikeville since you're a KY resident, but you're only holding yourself back if you hang on to the 24.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

First time poster. Was wondering if you guys could help me figure my chances for any of the DO programs around the country.

Current GPA: 3.81. Maybe standardize to ~3.75 by the time I apply.
First time MCAT: 24R (8, 8, 8)
Current Residence: KY
Ethnicity: Asian
ECs: 2 years of research. Participation in 2 premedical honor societies for ~3 years. 1 Year as treasurer of one of those premedical honor societies. ~70 hours of volunteering with various places(will work on this some more in the next year). ~30 hours of volunteering/shadowing in Zimbabwe, Africa during my summer vacation 2 years ago.

Goals to fulfill before application next June:
1) Volunteering! I feel like this is somewhat weak compared to some of the other people I have seen on this forum, so hopefully I can add another ~50 or so hours to this in the next year.
2) Shadowing American doctors. I will need to work on getting that LOR from a DO hopefully.
3) MCAT? I was wondering about this the most. I feel like the majority of my application may be OK, but the MCAT is on the weaker side. It was a balanced score however, so that may be positive, but I was extremely disappointed with this score. I have noticed that most of the DO schools seem to be averaging around 26 MCAT and this is starting to go up as the years progress. What do you guys think? Is my MCAT score competitive? Do other parts of my application make up for it? I will be retaking next year in march before the application cycle begins, but lets say worst case scenario comes around and I actually do worse or the same, will 24 give me a chance anywhere with everything else considered?

Thanks everyone for your time.

I'd say go ahead and apply. Your low MCAT is compensated by your high GPA. Besides, your score is very well-balanced, the best 24 scenario. It's not too late.

If I were you I would definitely apply. Don't listen to those who naysayers; unless you're an URM, your ethnicity has nothing to do with your chances.

I know people who had similar GPA and MCAT and got multiple DO acceptances. If you can pull it off, consider retaking the MCAT.