What Are My Next Steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apooji

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
here’s my story, I’m open to honest above Al else so please let me know:

Graduated UG in May from a good state school (a good SEC school, second tier behind UW, UMich, UT) with a B.A. in Math w 3.61c and sciences like this:

BIO 1 A
BIO 2 C
CHEM 1, 2 were As
Micro C
A&P 1, 2 C (A&P 2 at a CC)
Math classes let’s say average at B

Shadowing: 24 Hours ED
Community Service: 200 varied but director for a campus 5K

I still need to take OCHEM 1,2 and Biochem and then the MCAT. Here’s the kicker - I’m in nursing school currently with a decent GPA. I’m thinking about dropping out at the end of the semester because I’ve thought a lot and I’d rather be a doctor then a nurse, even an NP because NP just doesn’t offer surgery or the same internal specialities if I decide to go that route. Really, I came to UG wanting to be a doctor but somewhere along the way settled on nursing. I’m married now and need to figure out my life. My plan would be to work while I take OCHEM 1 and 2 and BChem and take MCAT in about a year and apply for the 25-26 cycle. Is it a total long shot for both MD AND DO schools? Could I hurry up the MCAT and apply May 24? What can I possibly do to be a competitive applicant come May 25?

Any advice helps.

Edit: Pre-reqs all legit sciences, no pre-nursing classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
here’s my story, I’m open to honest above Al else so please let me know:

Graduated UG in May from a good state school (a good SEC school, second tier behind UW, UMich, UT) with a B.A. in Math w 3.61c and sciences like this:

BIO 1 A
BIO 2 C
CHEM 1, 2 were As
Micro C
A&P 1, 2 C (A&P 2 at a CC)
Math classes let’s say average at B

I still need to take OCHEM 1,2 and Biochem and then the MCAT. Here’s the kicker - I’m in nursing school currently with a decent GPA. I’m thinking about dropping out at the end of the semester because I’ve thought a lot and I’d rather be a doctor then a nurse, even an NP because NP just doesn’t offer surgery or the same internal specialities if I decide to go that route. Really, I came to UG wanting to be a doctor but somewhere along the way settled on nursing. I’m married now and need to figure out my life. My plan would be to work while I take OCHEM 1 and 2 and BChem and take MCAT in about a year and apply for the 25-26 cycle. Is it a total long shot for both MD AND DO schools? Could I hurry up the MCAT and apply May 24? What can I possibly do to be a competitive applicant come May 25?

Any advice helps.
I need to know these questions:

The above science classes: were they designed specifically for prerequisites for nursing school, which are less rigorous than similar courses for medical school? It will be noted in the syllabus. I say this because there is a chance your courses would be insufficient to prepare you for the science rigor for medical school. (Many schools offer A&P and microbiology courses for nursing students that will state in the syllabus "not appropriate or eligible for science majors).

You need to actually spend time shadowing physicians. Up to 100 hours. Spread among specialties, but definitely have primary care covered.

You need more clinical experience independent of your nursing school studies.

You need community service that shows you can help people outside of a clinical setting. At least 150 hours.

You should chat with medical schools closest to you or where your family would feel comfortable.

You probably would do well to get some research experience. While it's not required, you may want to think about how comfortable you are with scholarly pursuits. Many schools have those opportunities embedded in their curriculum, and some schools require a thesis project upon graduation. Again, you don't have to have it as a prerequisite.

You need to identify references for letters of evaluation. This should include at least 2 science professors since most schools will want 2 or 3. Check with the local schools about their requirements and preferences.

Never rush to take the MCAT. Do it right after you complete your course prerequisites. You should consider taking psychology/sociology courses that cover some items that appear on the MCAT as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I need to know these questions:

The above science classes: were they designed specifically for prerequisites for nursing school, which are less rigorous than similar courses for medical school? It will be noted in the syllabus. I say this because there is a chance your courses would be insufficient to prepare you for the science rigor for medical school. (Many schools offer A&P and microbiology courses for nursing students that will state in the syllabus "not appropriate or eligible for science majors).

You need to actually spend time shadowing physicians. Up to 100 hours. Spread among specialties, but definitely have primary care covered.

You need more clinical experience independent of your nursing school studies.

You need community service that shows you can help people outside of a clinical setting. At least 150 hours.

You should chat with medical schools closest to you or where your family would feel comfortable.

You probably would do well to get some research experience. While it's not required, you may want to think about how comfortable you are with scholarly pursuits. Many schools have those opportunities embedded in their curriculum, and some schools require a thesis project upon graduation. Again, you don't have to have it as a prerequisite.

You need to identify references for letters of evaluation. This should include at least 2 science professors since most schools will want 2 or 3. Check with the local schools about their requirements and preferences.

Never rush to take the MCAT. Do it right after you complete your course prerequisites. You should consider taking psychology/sociology courses that cover some items that appear on the MCAT as well.
Thanks for the reply.

All the sciences are legit, as in they appear in science majors, none are designed for nursing school.

I edited the post to reflect this but I have close to 300 community service hours that are varied but I committed to a very serious veterans fundraiser 5K over the better part of 2022.

I will work to get more shadowing and clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I edited the post to reflect this but I have close to 300 community service hours that are varied but I committed to a very serious veterans fundraiser 5K over the better part of 2022.
Great, but fundraising has no to little weight. We want face-face work in relieving others' distress with humility.

Reactions: 1 users
Great, but fundraising has no to little weight. We want face-face work in relieving others' distress with humility.
Good to know! I have a spreadsheet with all of my community service and still tally to 233 hours w/o this.

Mmm...slight disagreement here. Assuming that an applicant does have this face to face experience, which is essential...competence at fundraising shows that an applicant has some level of social grace and networking ability. Or maybe just rich parents or family members, but even then, Richie McRichington using Daddy's money on good-faith philanthropy isn't a bad thing and can be ultimately useful to medicine or a medical school down the road. I'm not saying that it's some kind of rockstar tier EC unless that 5K raised 7 or 8 figures, but it's something.

Reactions: 1 user