What are my chances as a non-trad? Do a masters or post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panda777

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 2.8
(missing biol 2 and o chem so missing a few prereqs but have bio1, phys, and chem done as well as some math courses and others)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Haven’t taken it yet
State of Residence: CA
Undergrad Attended:
CSULB
Major: Sociology
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes
Shadowing Experience: 1000+ ; Worked in dental clinic & got to shadow a dentist

I feel like my gpa is low and am wondering if I should pursue a master's or post bacc program. Not sure what direction to take rn but I do know dentistry is what I want to pursue. Being a non trad (soc major), what steps do you think I should take? Sorry, I’m full of questions. I’m just trying to learn from everyone’s experiences and figure out what to do. Super nervous but would love to hear some feedback and advice :) thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! Welcome to SDN!

I think it would be a great idea to pursue a master's with your science gpa. Additionally, if you are able to, I would try to talk the pre-req classes ASAP. When are you planning on taking the DAT?

I posted this on a few other posts, but if you are interested in doing a post-bacc or Master's program make sure you do one connected to a dental school. Here's a list of some of the programs; I wouldn't apply all of them but take a look at some of these programs to get an idea and reach out to dental schools you would be interested in attending to see if they have a program that is linked to their school.

Master Programs:
Dental:
Roseman: Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (MBS)
guaranteed interview $25k (online or in-person)

BU: Master of Science in Oral Health Sciences | Graduate Medical Sciences
$69k - 90% get accepted into Dschool, take courses w/D1s

Colorado: Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) MHA Pathway to Dentistry Program
*Reserved DMD acceptance* - to late to apply :/

Dental & Medical:
LECOM: Masters of Medical Science Curriculum - Bradenton
$22k (online or in-person) - guaranteed interview

Midwestern (AZ): College of Graduate Studies, Glendale Campus
bridge program? $60k

Midwestern (IL): College of Graduate Studies, Downers Grove Campus
bridge program? $60k

NOVA: Master of Biomedical Sciences
$40k - change from guaranteed acceptance to guaranteed interview

Medicine & dental?? - set up a meeting and ask if you are interested, for sure medical though
Loma Linda: Biomedical Sciences — M.M.S. < Loma Linda University
- Cali school

Post-bacc:
**note most post-bacc you need to finance yourself, no/minimal student loans**

Temple: Postbaccalaureate Admissions
$45k

Marquette: BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES PRE-DENTAL POST-BACCALAUREATE PROGRAM (BMPD) // Biomedical Sciences // Marquette University
$35k - guaranteed interview

Creighton: Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate
Reserved seat for DMD

There are many more programs than this; these are just some of the programs that are well-known and linked to a dental school. If it were me, I would stay away from midwestern, BU, and the post-bacc programs (besides creighton) solely for how expensive they are. Do you really want to pay $70k for a Masters and then pay another $360k for your dental school tuition? That's not counting all of the other costs... (fees, living, etc.)

The main programs I would be interested in are LECOMs ($22k - Online) or Roseman ($25K), especially if you have a family. You would save a lot of money compared to the other programs.
Both dental schools are inexpensive compared to most -
LECOM $55k x 4 = $220k
Roseman
$90k x 3 = $270k (3-year program) - also the extra year of income

Roseman would be my top choice. Smaller program, they only have a dental school currently (adding med school in 2024) and so most people in the program will be pre-dental. Compared to LECOMs +100 class size that is mainly medical! Roseman is also switching to a 3-year dental school. The one larger issue I do have with Roseman MBS is its curriculum. They are a P/F school, and most people doing an MS want to increase their gpa. Additionally, their curriculum isn't as challenging as LECOMs program. It's fine if you only want Roseman for dental school, but for applying to other dental programs, the other programs might like LECOMs curriculum more. That being said, if you are doing a master's, you will most likely get accepted to the Dschool that you do the masters at (if you preform well). So I would still probably choose Roseman.

Whatever you do, I would start applying ASAP to any/all programs, and make sure you choose one linked to a dental school!
Also verify w/the programs, and make sure it is a guaranteed interview or acceptance because that changes consistently.

Reactions: 3 users
I do agree with the above, I think a master's would help you out more than a post-bacc would. Since graduate GPAs are calculated separately from undergrad, a master's GPA would be solo (on top of your undergrad GPA) while a post-bacc would be added to your undergrad GPA.

I also think a post-bacc wouldn't be as good of an option because you would be spending most of your time trying to get your sciGPA >3.0 which could take a lot of credits to do so, and even then it may not be enough to convince adcoms you can handle the dental school coursework.

If you can do very well on the DAT (22AA+) and do well in a master's program (>3.6) I think you stand a solid chance for admission if you apply broadly and to schools where you fit their mission. Age shouldn't matter for schools so much, and you may convey more wisdom and maturity than those entering straight from undergrad like myself.

Schools may also offer some type of daycare program. I know UMN has some programs for parents that are students and resources for taking care of their kids.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Welcome to SDN!

I think it would be a great idea to pursue a master's with your science gpa. Additionally, if you are able to, I would try to talk the pre-req classes ASAP. When are you planning on taking the DAT?

I posted this on a few other posts, but if you are interested in doing a post-bacc or Master's program make sure you do one connected to a dental school. Here's a list of some of the programs; I wouldn't apply all of them but take a look at some of these programs to get an idea and reach out to dental schools you would be interested in attending to see if they have a program that is linked to their school.

Master Programs:
Dental:

Dental & Medical:

bridge program? $60k

bridge program? $60k

Medicine & dental?? - set up a meeting and ask if you are interested, for sure medical though
- Cali school

Post-bacc:

$45k

Marquette: BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES PRE-DENTAL POST-BACCALAUREATE PROGRAM (BMPD) // Biomedical Sciences // Marquette University

Reserved seat for DMD

There are many more programs than this; these are just some of the programs that are well-known and linked to a dental school. If it were me, I would stay away from midwestern, BU, and the post-bacc programs (besides creighton) solely for how expensive they are. Do you really want to pay $70k for a Masters and then pay another $360k for your dental school tuition? That's not counting all of the other costs... (fees, living, etc.)

The main programs I would be interested in are LECOMs ($22k - Online) or Roseman ($25K), especially if you have a family. You would save a lot of money compared to the other programs.
LECOM $55k x 4 = $220k
Roseman

Roseman would be my top choice. Smaller program, they only have a dental school currently (adding med school in 2024) and so most people in the program will be pre-dental. Compared to LECOMs +100 class size that is mainly medical! Roseman is also switching to a 3-year dental school. The one larger issue I do have with Roseman MBS is its curriculum. They are a P/F school, and most people doing an MS want to increase their gpa. Additionally, their curriculum isn't as challenging as LECOMs program. It's fine if you only want Roseman for dental school, but for applying to other dental programs, the other programs might like LECOMs curriculum more. That being said, if you are doing a master's, you will most likely get accepted to the Dschool that you do the masters at (if you preform well). So I would still probably choose Roseman.

Whatever you do, I would start applying ASAP to any/all programs, and make sure you choose one linked to a dental school!
Also verify w/the programs, and make sure it is a guaranteed interview or acceptance because that changes consistently.

Hey! Welcome to SDN!

Master Programs:
Dental:

Dental & Medical:

bridge program? $60k

bridge program? $60k

- Cali school

Post-bacc:

$45k

Reserved seat for DMD

LECOM $55k x 4 = $220k
Roseman

Thank you so much for your input. I agree that going forward with masters is probably the best route but I mentioned that I was missing a few pre-reqs (missing biol 2 and o chem so missing a few prereqs but have bio1, phys, and chem done as well as some math courses and others). A lot of the masters programs require these done I believe so do you think I should do a post bacc or just DIY post bacc?

I do agree with the above, I think a master's would help you out more than a post-bacc would. Since graduate GPAs are calculated separately from undergrad, a master's GPA would be solo (on top of your undergrad GPA) while a post-bacc would be added to your undergrad GPA.

I also think a post-bacc wouldn't be as good of an option because you would be spending most of your time trying to get your sciGPA >3.0 which could take a lot of credits to do so, and even then it may not be enough to convince adcoms you can handle the dental school coursework.

If you can do very well on the DAT (22AA+) and do well in a master's program (>3.6) I think you stand a solid chance for admission if you apply broadly and to schools where you fit their mission. Age shouldn't matter for schools so much, and you may convey more wisdom and maturity than those entering straight from undergrad like myself.

Schools may also offer some type of daycare program. I know UMN has some programs for parents that are students and resources for taking care of their kids.
Thank you for your input. Sorry for the late reply but since I am missing a few pre-reqs (missing biol 2 and o chem so missing a few prereqs but have bio1, phys, and chem done as well as some math courses and others). The master programs I see require the pre-reqs. Do you think I would need to take a post bacc or just DIY post bacc in that case? Maybe I'm not asking the right questions but I'm just trying to make sure

Talk to the program directors first. There are some programs that will help schedule prerequisite courses for you. Others will suggest you take them at a community college..

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your input. I agree that going forward with masters is probably the best route but I mentioned that I was missing a few pre-reqs (missing biol 2 and o chem so missing a few prereqs but have bio1, phys, and chem done as well as some math courses and others). A lot of the masters programs require these done I believe so do you think I should do a post bacc or just DIY post bacc?
Have you reached out to the master's programs to verify that you need the prereqs completed before starting the masters? Additionally, if they do need to be completed, can you do it right now & over the summer? One of my friends who originally graduated with a finance degree switched to pre-dental and is currently in a master's program. She hasn't completed a lot of her prereqs and has been completing them with the master's program (4 bio courses, o-chem 1 & 2). She's almost done with her master's and her courses; she also hasn't taken the DAT yet (taking it in May). Her program didn't care about the prereqs or DAT, but every program is different. It doesn't hurt to reach out and check; otherwise, I would try to take the missing courses before the program starts.

The only reason why I wouldn't recommend doing a DIY post bacc is that it won't be affiliated with a dental school. If you are going to take additional courses to strengthen your application to get into a dental school, I would try to take it with a program connected to a Dschool. If you perform well in a master's program connected to a Dschool, you will have the highest chance of getting accepted into that dental program. Make sure you take the master's or post-bacc at a school you want to attend for another 4-5 years! It should be your top school if possible (make sure the program you choose has a high success rate of getting students into Dschool).

When are you planning on taking the DAT?

Reactions: 1 user
Talk to the program directors first. There are some programs that will help schedule prerequisite courses for you. Others will suggest you take them at a community college..
Thank you! I will :)

Have you reached out to the master's programs to verify that you need the prereqs completed before starting the masters? Additionally, if they do need to be completed, can you do it right now & over the summer? One of my friends who originally graduated with a finance degree switched to pre-dental and is currently in a master's program. She hasn't completed a lot of her prereqs and has been completing them with the master's program (4 bio courses, o-chem 1 & 2). She's almost done with her master's and her courses; she also hasn't taken the DAT yet (taking it in May). Her program didn't care about the prereqs or DAT, but every program is different. It doesn't hurt to reach out and check; otherwise, I would try to take the missing courses before the program starts.

The only reason why I wouldn't recommend doing a DIY post bacc is that it won't be affiliated with a dental school. If you are going to take additional courses to strengthen your application to get into a dental school, I would try to take it with a program connected to a Dschool. If you perform well in a master's program connected to a Dschool, you will have the highest chance of getting accepted into that dental program. Make sure you take the master's or post-bacc at a school you want to attend for another 4-5 years! It should be your top school if possible (make sure the program you choose has a high success rate of getting students into Dschool).

When are you planning on taking the DAT?
Thank you! I'm going to reach out asap. In regards to the DIY post bacc, I was thinking the same thing and was worried about not being time efficient too. DAT I'm not sure yet but I want to within the next year because I think it's too early for this time around and I won't be prepared. Do you happen to know what program she went with too? :oops: