Medical What are my chances at DO school for this cycle, and what should I do for a gap year if I am not accepted?

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am an only DO applicant this cycle (already submitted most applications waiting for secondaries)

biomed engineer: both gpas ~3.5 with a strong upward trend ie 2.73 freshman year climbing up ever since
mcat: two takes 503 (126/124/127/126) and second time 506 (127/124/128/127)

Goal: primary care, help undeserved communities, rural areas too

What are my chances for a DO acceptance AND what can I do in my gap year to increase my competitiveness 1. retake mcat (in addition to continuing above activities mentioned) OR 2.work in a clinical setting full time (in addition to continuing above activities mentioned)

I have really been confused and feeling down because I don't know what to do with my time that will be the most meaningful.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to hearing from you!

From what you provide, you seem to stand a great chance for DO schools.

For a gap year in your case, having specified you are only applying DO, and from the options you list, I'd suggest work and continuing activities. With an upward trend from a 2.73 to a 3.5 GPA and an increase in MCAT to a 506, you stand a great shot. Then add on your EC's which seem pretty well rounded as you have an art, a sport, research (med device and non-med), volunteering and clinic. Working would give some additional clinical experience while you save up some money. The one thing I'd add to this if possible is to get some medical research experience.

Members don't see this ad.

"I have really been confused and feeling down because I don't know what to do with my time that will be the most meaningful."

I'm only going to really comment on this sentence. I'll suggest that you continue any community service activities that you have, especially when ti comes to people who are underserved or have limited access to resources (education, finances, health care, housing). In addition to activities, I would read or take time to read about the needs our health care system finds important to address. Find a topic or two that you really feel impacted by: the current crisis du jour is on opioids but you can also look at mental health care, impact of pharmaceutical pricing, education disparities, etc. The National Academies downloadable books are a great place to start.

In the end, you will get to a point where you will find something to do with your time because addressing the work is meaningful to you. It is that answer that you need to determine (for you for now, as it will likely change over time) as you will have to be able to articulate it in any followup to your application.