what are my chances at the big 4? please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Galib

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current student at TCU and will be applying this cycle. I currently have a 3.05 GPA and like a 2.8sGPA (including 1 D in OchemII which I will be retaking in the spring next year). I plan to have a 3.1-3.15 GPA and 2.9-3.0SGPA by Jan when apps are due. I have over 500 hours of work experience of working as an ER scribe, over 100 hours of shadowing, 100 hours of volunteering, founding father of a fraternity here, doing summer research with a professor, and am a freshman orientation camp counselor. I have taken the MCAT once and gotten a 27 and plan on retaking it on Aug 21. Please chance me for the big 4 and also if you guys would recommend maybe an SMP first and then med school or any other help. Anything is appreciated! thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a current student at TCU and will be applying this cycle. I currently have a 3.05 GPA and like a 2.8sGPA (including 1 D in OchemII which I will be retaking in the spring next year). I plan to have a 3.1-3.15 GPA and 2.9-3.0SGPA by Jan when apps are due. I have over 500 hours of work experience of working as an ER scribe, over 100 hours of shadowing, 100 hours of volunteering, founding father of a fraternity here, doing summer research with a professor, and am a freshman orientation camp counselor. I have taken the MCAT once and gotten a 27 and plan on retaking it on Aug 21. Please chance me for the big 4 and also if you guys would recommend maybe an SMP first and then med school or any other help. Anything is appreciated! thank you.

Solid chance at SGU with a 3.0 and a 28 MCAT, though they might make you do the Foundations course or be on academic probation for Term 1. Do well in O-Chem and make sure your MCAT improves as well and you should be able to get in somewhere.

Thanks for your reply, any one else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you have any problem in getting into the big 4. As far as to AUC, I believe your chance is very high. SMP is not necessary, you may directly be admitted.

Hello,

I can only speak for SGU, but if your stats were to the same way, if you were to be accepted, they'd probably put you in their Foundations program. They tend to be more forgiving on a lower MCAT score more so than a lower GPA. You can also try applying early though for direct admit to help.

That being said, even though your GPA is low, you should do an SMP anyway. You got a 27 on the MCAT, so if you realize where your weaknesses were and bust your butt for some time to prep, you can get that above 30. You have enough extracurriculars to make you well rounded as well. After doing the SMP, you should apply to US schools first. I know it would suck you if you didn't get in after putting a year of work in, but at least you're giving yourself a shot and it's definitely the smarter decision in the long run. Then apply to the big 4 as safeties.