What are my chances EM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrbazoun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a DO student applying allopathic EM. I'd very much appreciate it if you guys would take a look at a summary of my application and let me know what you think.

--67th %ile preclerkship. I do have an "N" on my transcript instead of a "P" for pass due to a manipulative medicine course that DOs take only (the grade was composed of four short quizzes) in my first year. I re-mediated it with a short quiz...really wasn't a big deal but I'm worried it might bite me.
--Passed all my clerkship courses...my clerkship is pass/fail (no chance to honor and so no real opportunity to distinguish myself here).
--Step 1: 249; Step 2: score not yet released, but I'm shooting for 260+
--I have one abstract publication and several other research projects
--I have a long history of volunteerism that I've continued while in medical school.

I've been super nervous lately and the uncertainty doesn't help...if y'all could give me some feedback I would love you for it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello. I'm a DO student applying allopathic EM. I'd very much appreciate it if you guys would take a look at a summary of my application and let me know what you think.

--67th %ile preclerkship. I do have an "N" on my transcript instead of a "P" for pass due to a manipulative medicine course that DOs take only (the grade was composed of four short quizzes) in my first year. I re-mediated it with a short quiz...really wasn't a big deal but I'm worried it might bite me.
--Passed all my clerkship courses...my clerkship is pass/fail (no chance to honor and so no real opportunity to distinguish myself here).
--I have a long history of volunteerism that I've continued while in medical school.

I've been super nervous lately and the uncertainty doesn't help...if y'all could give me some feedback I would love you for it. Thank you.

I think you will get in somewhere for sure, unless you applied to like 10 programs that are Vanderbilt-level competitive.

Btw they do not care 1 iota about your volunteerism, so don't make that a big selling point.

What's even more important than virtually everything you said is how you did in your two E.M. away rotations and what type of SLOEs you got. So how are things looking on that end?

I think you will get in somewhere for sure, unless you applied to like 10 programs that are Vanderbilt-level competitive.

Btw they do not care 1 iota about your volunteerism, so don't make that a big selling point.

What's even more important than virtually everything you said is how you did in your two E.M. away rotations and what type of SLOEs you got. So how are things looking on that end?

Thanks for the reply. I've already obtained my first SLOE, and going off the performance feedback I received during my rotation I believe it will be strong. My second one should come this August, and you can bet I'm gonna work hard for it!

Any advice on the number of programs I should I apply to? I'm from the Detroit area and am very keen on training in Detroit, where there are only 5 programs.

Again, thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I've already obtained my first SLOE, and going off the performance feedback I received during my rotation I believe it will be strong. My second one should come this August, and you can bet I'm gonna work hard for it!

Any advice on the number of programs I should I apply to? I'm from the Detroit area and am very keen on training in Detroit, where there are only 5 programs.

Again, thanks for your input.
With your stats, if you wanted to stay in Detroit, you could stay in Detroit. 5 programs is a ton to have in a single city. Only NYC and Chi have more. As for how many programs you should apply to, do as many as your advisor says, and then add 10 more. More importantly; however, you should apply to several places that you know will not be competitive (non-destination locations, no name recognition, etc.).

You should be fine. Stop worrying. With a step of 249 and some research experience you are very competitive for EM, even being a DO.

Reactions: 1 users

I love seeing this! Way to go, you're competitive in my opinion :). Also, volunteerism may be on the bottom of the totem pole, but if you want to make it a selling point because you're proud of it and in contributes to who you are, I say why not. You have outstanding metrics to back you up as a strong student so I don't think you'll come off as an overly sentimental med student by selling your volunteerism.

You should be fine. Stop worrying. With a step of 249 and some research experience you are very competitive for EM, even being a DO.

I will do my best to not worry. Thank you!

I love seeing this! Way to go, you're competitive in my opinion :). Also, volunteerism may be on the bottom of the totem pole, but if you want to make it a selling point because you're proud of it and in contributes to who you are, I say why not. You have outstanding metrics to back you up as a strong student so I don't think you'll come off as an overly sentimental med student by selling your volunteerism.

Wow, thanks for the love!!!! I love your avatar by the way!

you sound competitive IMO. Apply broadly because even since I started residency EM has seemed to gotten more competitive, but I think you have good chances.

you'll be fine.
UCLA ER program in Bakersfield have DO as Chairman and program director in their faculty.
and it's California ( 2 hours away from LA)

http://www.kernmedical.com/health-p...emergency-medicine-residency-program/faculty/

So you have stellar step scores, research credited to your name, likely good SLOE(s), and want to stay in a very DO friendly/EM saturated area. If you're actually worried my friend Aaron Rodgers would like a word

So you have stellar step scores, research credited to your name, likely good SLOE(s), and want to stay in a very DO friendly/EM saturated area. If you're actually worried my friend Aaron Rodgers would like a word

Is an abstract publication really something that is seen very positively? Thanks for your response.

Is an abstract publication really something that is seen very positively? Thanks for your response.
I mean it's better than nothing and we're not talking about derm or ENT here. If it makes you feel better I've got zilch to my name and I'm not worried.

What would you say is the minimum score where DOs are still considered fairly "competitive" for some EM programs?