What are my chances for a general surgery program in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaronrodgers

Quarterback, Super Bowl MVP, Future Hall of Famer
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my third year of medical school at one of the ‘mid-tier’ University of Californias (not UCSF or UCLA) and just received my Step 1 score of 243. I have 3 pubs in anesthesia and surgery and 5 poster presentations.

I grew up and have all my personal connections back in Southern California and it’s a major priority to go back home for residency second only to matching to my specialty of choice which is surgery.

what are my chances as it stands right now stats wise to eventually match in CA (not just SoCal). What can I do to maximize the odds? Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Following...

@ OP are your pubs case reports or actual research papers?

They were case-series and a retrospective cohort study. My posters are unrelated and were back in undergrad in hyperbaric medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
4F1978A5-1031-480B-A149-8CD2A03B84FB.png

a 2013 study of 333 matched GS applicants and the various general surgery programs they went to. All the applicants studied were ranked in the top 20 after the residency interview. The programs are categorized as either highly competitive (HC), very competitive (VC), or just competitive (C). It seems like the schools listed under HC such as OHSU and UCLA have an average step of 242.7 (239.8 - 245.5 95% CI) back in 2013 which may translate to a 244 by now due to score creep. Likewise the VC group which includes UC Davis and UCSD reported a Step 1 of 237.1 (234 - 240.2 95% CI). Score creep probably puts them at 239 now.

What shocks me is that 1 in 2 residents had AOA for HC programs 1 in 3 had AOA for VC programs. This drops to approximately 1 in 10 for just C programs.

Interesting! Any data on the # of pubs?
View attachment 308205
a 2013 study of 333 matched GS applicants and the various general surgery programs they went to. All the applicants studied were ranked in the top 20 after the residency interview. The programs are categorized as either highly competitive (HC), very competitive (VC), or just competitive (C). It seems like the schools listed under HC such as OHSU and UCLA have an average step of 242.7 (239.8 - 245.5 95% CI) back in 2013 which may translate to a 244 by now due to score creep. Likewise the VC group which includes UC Davis and UCSD reported a Step 1 of 237.1 (234 - 240.2 95% CI). Score creep probably puts them at 239 now.

What shocks me is that 1 in 2 residents had AOA for HC programs 1 in 3 had AOA for VC programs. This drops to approximately 1 in 10 for just C programs.