DO What are my chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYR1368

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was interested in hearing thoughts on my chances and if any DO schools particularly like to see an upward trend in grades/which schools to aim for. Planning on applying to schools this cycle (essentially all DO) as well as some SMPs.

College: Boston College
MCAT: 508 (Chem/phys- 128, CARS- 125, Bio- 128, Psych/soc- 127)
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 2.9
major GPA: 3.6

My low GPA due to very poor performance my first 2 years of undergrad. Improved significantly and was on the Dean's list my two upperclassmen years and retook all science classes from the first two years (got A's in them the second time around). I have a fair amount of relevant shadowing + volunteer experience. Also have been working as a medical scribe for a DO the past year.

Members don't see this ad.

Was interested in hearing thoughts on my chances and if any DO schools particularly like to see an upward trend in grades/which schools to aim for. Planning on applying to schools this cycle (essentially all DO) as well as some SMPs.

College: Boston College
MCAT: 508 (Chem/phys- 128, CARS- 125, Bio- 128, Psych/soc- 127)
cGPA: 3.1
sGPA: 2.9
major GPA: 3.6

My low GPA due to very poor performance my first 2 years of undergrad. Improved significantly and was on the Dean's list my two upperclassmen years and retook all science classes from the first two years (got A's in them the second time around). I have a fair amount of relevant shadowing + volunteer experience. Also have been working as a medical scribe for a DO the past year.

I am not sure what you mean by the major GPA and cGPA? If you applied to an M.D. school you would have a 21.5% chance of being accepted (percentage from the AAMC Table A-23 chart 2016-2017 chart on AAMC website). A D.O. school is slightly easier, but not much. That is if your overall GPA is a 3.1. You also state that you have a major GPA of 3.6. I am not sure if the 3.1 or 3.6 is your overall GPA? If your overall GPA is a 3.6, you have a much better chance! . While, it is good that you have an upward trend, your cGPA is still very low, especially the science GPA. I would recommend retaking some science classes in which you scored poorly. Both D.O. and M.D take the average of the two grades, but it absolutely will improve your GPA and sGPA. Consider attending post-bac school. See if your school offers any early assurance programs, although it might be too late. You absolutely can still get into medical school, but you will need to take a year or two in between college graduation and applying to med school. Some post bacc schools also offer early assurance programs into medical school, so you can look into that. Good luck!

I am not sure what you mean by the major GPA and cGPA? If you applied to an M.D. school you would have a 21.5% chance of being accepted (percentage from the AAMC Table A-23 chart 2016-2017 chart on AAMC website). A D.O. school is slightly easier, but not much. That is if your overall GPA is a 3.1. You also state that you have a major GPA of 3.6. I am not sure if the 3.1 or 3.6 is your overall GPA? If your overall GPA is a 3.6, you have a much better chance! . While, it is good that you have an upward trend, your cGPA is still very low, especially the science GPA. I would recommend retaking some science classes in which you scored poorly. Both D.O. and M.D take the average of the two grades, but it absolutely will improve your GPA and sGPA. Consider attending post-bac school. See if your school offers any early assurance programs, although it might be too late. You absolutely can still get into medical school, but you will need to take a year or two in between college graduation and applying to med school. Some post bacc schools also offer early assurance programs into medical school, so you can look into that. Good luck!
Thanks for the input! I received a B.S in Psychology from BC May, 2017, so I meant my major GPA as in my psychology GPA (I know this degree is not very useful), and my cGPA is my cumulative. Unfortunately overall I did poorly my first two years. I am currently in a post-bacc program at Hofstra where I have retaken all the science classes I did poorly in and received A's in them. I am taking a couple more that I expect to get A's in so my GPA will still rise slightly I'm hoping.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input! I received a B.S in Psychology from BC May, 2017, so I meant my major GPA as in my psychology GPA (I know this degree is not very useful), and my cGPA is my cumulative. Unfortunately overall I did poorly my first two years. I am currently in a post-bacc program at Hofstra where I have retaken all the science classes I did poorly in and received A's in them. I am taking a couple more that I expect to get A's in so my GPA will still rise slightly I'm hoping.
Then you will be completely set for medical school! Good Luck!

If your sGPA rises to 3.0 when you apply it will significantly increase your chances since you will not be screened out at some schools.
Where is your state of residence?
I suggest all these schools with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
LECOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia

If your sGPA rises to 3.0 when you apply it will significantly increase your chances since you will not be screened out at some schools.
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
ICOM
LECOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
Thanks for the help! New York, and yeah I've been fighting to get it up ever since sophomore year. I'm pretty worried about screening especially since I have had a significant upward trend since my earlier performance. Would help a ton if grade replacement were still a thing.

ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)