What are my chances for LECOM-B, and how can I improve them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abtazz12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, these are my stats:

B.S Integrative Animal Biology (2016)
Minor: Chemistry
GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 498 (second attempt); 493 first.
Volunteering: >200
Florida resident

I am also about to graduate from a medical assisting program. I did this in hopes of gaining more direct patient care experience. So far I have 160 hours (I've been doing it for 1 month).

Applied late September; filed secondary mid-October. I want to know what my chances of getting in are, and if they are not good, what I can do during the following year to improve them.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is low, but you may stand a chance at LECOM-B given your GPA + FL residency.

Hard to say. I would focus on an MCAT retake if you end up needing to reapply next year...or maybe even the year afterward. Since you've already taken it twice, you'll probably need 505+ to balance out those low ones.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Its ok. Nothing special. Nothing bad.

50/50

Improvement methods:

-Retake MCAT
-Earn a Masters
-Do an SMP
-More EC's

Members don't see this ad :)
Its ok. Nothing special. Nothing bad.

50/50

Improvement methods:

-Retake MCAT
-Earn a Masters
-Do an SMP
-More EC's

The MCAT is low, but you may stand a chance at LECOM-B given your GPA + FL residency.

Hard to say. I would focus on an MCAT retake if you end up needing to reapply next year...or maybe even the year afterward. Since you've already taken it twice, you'll probably need 505+ to balance out those low ones.

Best of luck!

I have thought about re-taking the MCAT, but have read that it is supposedly frowned upon by adcoms to retake the MCAT several times. Is this true?
Also, I was thinking about applying to LECOM Masters in Biomedical Sciences, since I have heard they secure an interview spot if you keep a certain GPA (although I am not sure about this rumor either).

If you do another retake you better be sure to get a lot higher than your previous scores.

Reactions: 1 user
So what would be a redeeming score?

As someone who is not an ADCOM I cannot answer that from personal experience but if I were you I would look up their average MCAT score and shoot for something higher than that. Having multiple exams will never favor you, especially with 2 subpar 500's. Granted I am not the best advisor given my crappy MCAT :p.

how did you prep for the test?

how did you prep for the test?

The first time I prepped the stupidest way...basically memorized my notes from the 8 Kaplan subject books, but took no practice test that reflected the passage-based format. The second time I did the exact opposite...8 hour long practice tests, but schoolwork made it hard to keep up with the Kaplan prep course online. I am still not sure how I would prepare, should I decide to retake it a 3rd time.

As long as you keep scoring higher on each subsequent test, you should be fine.

You can always ask ADCOMs via email some of these questions. Most find it ok to take it multiple times as long as the trend is upwards.

If you were to score 494 on your 3rd attempt after a 498, then maybe it will look bad. In that scenario, you might need to take it once again lol.

Ok. It's understandable why you scored very low on both attempts. When it comes to an exam like this, you have to dedicate close to if not more than a 100% during your prep. It's very challenging to snag a solid MCAT score while you are a full-time student and doing ECs (unless you are a very good test taker, disciplined, and have a solid understanding of the pre-req concepts). Working a full-time job might take time away from MCAT prep but it's not as stressful as trying to maintain a 4.0 while you are a student.

You have a solid GPA. What you need to do is work on your MCAT. You don't need a SMP or Masters/MPH (that will not fix a low MCAT score and it's an unnecessary expense).

As long as you keep scoring higher on each subsequent test, you should be fine.

You can always ask ADCOMs via email some of these questions. Most find it ok to take it multiple times as long as the trend is upwards.

If you were to score 494 on your 3rd attempt after a 498, then maybe it will look bad. In that scenario, you might need to take it once again lol.

Nah, I will make sure that the third time's the charm lol. Thanks!

Ok. It's understandable why you scored very low on both attempts. When it comes to an exam like this, you have to dedicate close to if not more than a 100% during your prep. It's very challenging to snag a solid MCAT score while you are a full-time student and doing ECs (unless you are a very good test taker, disciplined, and have a solid understanding of the pre-req concepts). Working a full-time job might take time away from MCAT prep but it's not as stressful as trying to maintain a 4.0 while you are a student.

You have a solid GPA. What you need to do is work on your MCAT. You don't need a SMP or Masters/MPH (that will not fix a low MCAT score and it's an unnecessary expense).

Thank you! I can now say that I just gotta devote my "spare" time to the MCAT completely to be considered competitive. How did you prep? And when do you think I should take the exam, if I am planning to send secondaries by July?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken the MCAT yet. But when I do, I plan on making the MCAT my full-time job and minimize volunteering activities (I'm the reverse situation to you, I'm coming back from a low GPA so the MCAT means a whole lot more to me). You can find some schedules made by successful MCAT takers in the sub MCAT forum.

Last edited:
What about having the low MCAT score and using LECOM's Academic Index Score (AIS)? Would a solid AIS score pull through 2 low MCAT scores?

What about having the low MCAT score and using LECOM's Academic Index Score (AIS)? Would a solid AIS score pull through 2 low MCAT scores?

That is what I am hoping for...I did a good job at my SATs (writing:520; math: 630; critical reading: 550; overall: 1700). The thing is that they will only come up with an AIS score if and only if I get an II (because they do not want to see those SAT scores unless they want to interview me), which would mean I would have to pray for them to both see past my MCAT and be in a good mood enough that will make them want to interview me.

Last edited:
Ok so my AIS is 117, how does that look? If I am not mistaken, the average AIS for the 2017 entry class was 119, but again, I am not sure about this

Ok so my AIS is 117, how does that look? If I am not mistaken, the average AIS for the 2017 entry class was 119, but again, I am not sure about this
as far as I know, they consider AIS only if you don' have MCAT score at all or it' below 495 or something.

EDIT: if MCAT is below 40th percentile.

In you case 498 will be considered. That' score is well within LECOM score range.

Does anyone know of applicants being accepted with scores below 495 with AIS?

There are about 220 student accepted with MCAT lower than 494

I personally know 2 of them. Although, one had exactly a 494, not under a 494.

If you have a pretty good application else-wise, then its not impossible. I guess if you're going sub-500, then 496+ helps.

30-40% of DO students had sub-500. (average across all DO students is only 501-502).

Is this a joke?
MCAT.jpg

In addition there are about 160 accepted with 19 MCAT score or below.

More than 300 accepted with GPA lower than 2.79 ow which 55 had GPA lower than 2.00 for bacc GPAs

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-13_20-8-12.png
    upload_2017-11-13_20-8-12.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 138
  • upload_2017-11-13_20-8-16.png
    upload_2017-11-13_20-8-16.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
View attachment 225444
In addition there are about 160 accepted with 19 MCAT score or below.

More than 300 accepted with GPA lower than 2.79 ow which 55 had GPA lower than 2.00 for bacc GPAs

I guess what one could take away from this is that 495+ is pretty essentially.

I guess 495 is the cutoff for any competitiveness in "most cases".

I guess what one could take away from this is that 495+ is pretty essentially.

I guess 495 is the cutoff for any competitiveness in "most cases".
Also one should keep in mind that these matriculants with lower MCAT scores possibly had higher than average GPAs.

Do you happen to have the URL link to this chart?
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...triculant-profile-summary-report.pdf?sfvrsn=8

There are many documents with various data available on AOA website. Above is one of them and where I got this chart. AAMC has similar documents. Some info is shocking.

For example, ~1200 WHITE (not counting all others) students were accepted with 3.19 GPA or lower and around 350 were accepted with MCAT of 23 or lower to US M.D. schools. This is just white applicants.

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...triculant-profile-summary-report.pdf?sfvrsn=8

There are many documents with various data available on AOA website. Above is one of them and where I got this chart. AAMC has similar documents. Some info is shocking.

For example, ~1200 WHITE (not counting all others) students were accepted with 3.19 GPA or lower and around 350 were accepted with MCAT of 23 or lower to US M.D. schools. This is just white applicants.

Well, I have some reading to catch up on lol.

thanks for the info. this is good to know. but i was really wondering about LECOM Erie, specifically, in terms of accepting the AIS score while having low MCAT scores on record. I have a reasonable AIS (falls within the acceptable range) and 3.9 science gap (3.7 cgpa) and great extra curricular.

and i interviewed a month ago.

Last edited:
thanks for the info. this is good to know. but i was really wondering about LECOM Erie, specifically, in terms of accepting the AIS score while having low MCAT scores on record. I have a reasonable AIS (falls within the acceptable range) and 3.9 science gap (3.7 cgpa) and great extra curricular.

and i interviewed a month ago.
What is your MCAT if you don't mind?

Did you apply to LECOM already?

With your GPA you have great chances.

There are about 220 student accepted with MCAT lower than 494

But they probably have 500+ volunteer hours, shadowed at least 10 physicians, have publications on their name, like to go to Africa and feed the underserved children in their spare time, and have a Nobel prize (sarcasm intended). The only "different" that I have is my experience in a hospital setting doing more than just stocking rooms and giving patients a blankie when they are cold.

But they probably have 500+ volunteer hours, shadowed at least 10 physicians, have publications on their name, like to go to Africa and feed the underserved children in their spare time, and have a Nobel prize (sarcasm intended). The only "different" that I have is my experience in a hospital setting doing more than just stocking rooms and giving patients a blankie when they are cold.
They probably have very high GPA

A masters degree program linked directly to a medical school.
I thought SMP is special master program that is similar in curriculum 1-2 medical school years. Some are linked and some are not linked to a med school

Last edited:
I thought SMP is special master program that is similar in curriculum 1-2 medical school years. Some are linked and some are not linked to a med school

The few I considered taking were all linked directly to a medical school. If you managed a certain GPA, they would promise to interview you. But only that specific school.

However, it you were to take an SMP at say, Rosalind Franklin, and you didn't get accepted to Rosalind, then many other medical schools will still be much more likely to accept you after completed the program with a high GPA (3.5+).

I'm not sure if all SMPs in the country are directly linked to a medical school, but it would make the most sense if they were!

For what its worth, I was told by ADCOM it is extremely difficult to get into a DO school with less than 495 MCAT. The ones that do most likely have a GPA c/s in the 3.7-3.8 range (that brings up DO averages), did a SMP and nailed it, tons of medical experience, Under-represented minority, or a military veteran.

For the average ones out there, those star-y eye'd freshfaced premeds in undergrad with 3.4-3.6's, buckle up and get a 502 on the MCAT if you wanna go DO. Even then, on the interview trail I met lots of people with 505 or less who were waitlisted and sat out a whole other year and or just did podiatry school. Med school of any kind (save for podiatry, as of right now) is super hard to get into.

I personally know 2 of them. Although, one had exactly a 494, not under a 494.

If you have a pretty good application else-wise, then its not impossible. I guess if you're going sub-500, then 496+ helps.

30-40% of DO students had sub-500. (average across all DO students is only 501-502).

For what its worth, I was told by ADCOM it is extremely difficult to get into a DO school with less than 495 MCAT. The ones that do most likely have a GPA c/s in the 3.7-3.8 range (that brings up DO averages), did a SMP and nailed it, tons of medical experience, Under-represented minority, or a military veteran.

For the average ones out there, those star-y eye'd freshfaced premeds in undergrad with 3.4-3.6's, buckle up and get a 502 on the MCAT if you wanna go DO. Even then, on the interview trail I met lots of people with 505 or less who were waitlisted and sat out a whole other year and or just did podiatry school. Med school of any kind (save for podiatry, as of right now) is super hard to get into.

I agree with all you said, except the percentages do mean lot. Considering 502 is still the D.O. average, an incredibly large portion of applicants are sub-500. ( 30-40%)

So while many people you know have a 500-505 or less don't get accepted, a lot of their 495-500 counterparts are (SMP, higher GPAs, etc.).

So if someone had a 496-499 MCAT, I actually don't think you're very handicapped, since so many sub-500 people are accepted.

I've also saw a graph where applicants with 495-500 had a much, much, much higher chance of acceptance compared to anyone with 494 or less. So to me, it seem like the cutoff for even attempting to apply is around 495.

Generally, with a low MCAT, you just have to stand out in other ways. It may or may not work. I would personally retake the MCAT. I wouldn’t want to chance it. Go all in for a few months and just do well. It’s very possible. I must say, at least for me, having a solid GPA and MCAT score also gave me a TON of confidence going into interview and made that much easier.

Is cgpa 3.41 and sgpa 3.27 in the range for lecom?

Your easiest path is to find an alumnus that will recommend you. That will give you a guaranteed interview. Then, you have to sell yourself at the interview. Confidence (without arrogance) and the ability to capture the room with your presence will take you farther than anything else. They look for the intangibles that can't be taught and the life stories that show how well you manage yourself and others under stress.

Yeah if I only I could have grabbed one of those spots. Though my MCAT was a good bit higher