Nontraditional applicant, what are my chances for Texas MD/DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedTechtoDentist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would really appreciate the advice. I'm currently 31, wanting to apply to medical school in 2 to 3 years. I'll be 34 or 35 by then.

From age 22 to 27 I worked as a pharmacy tech and from 27 up until now I am working as a Medical Technologist also known as a Medical Lab Scientist.

Major: Medical Lab Science
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.5
I have close to 10000 hours experience in healthcare working in pharmacy, hospitals and reference labs.

I will be able to get some excellent LOR's from Managers/supervisors and previous professors.

I would need to to back to school and take organic chem II and Physics II. Would also need to retake Biochem since I got a C+.

Have not taken the MCAT yet.

I'll only be applying to Texas Schools. I am a Texas resident. By the time I am planning to apply i will have all four years of tuition money saved up.

The reason I will be waiting 2 to 3 years to apply is because I work full time and am married with a child. So to take classes and MCAT will take me some time.

So what do you guys think. Do I have a real shot at this ?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, make sure to get some shadowing and some nonclinical volunteering done.