MD & DO What Are My Chances For Next Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

Golden_Grahams

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Goro has a list of schools that reward reinvention that you can go searching for.
And unfortunately DO doesn't do grade replacement anymore so your sGPA will be the same for both MD and DO. I'm concerned about your MCAT + low GPA combo. I know the upward trend is there but is there any chance you can retake the MCAT? The rest of your application is really stellar; would be a bummer if you were held back from factors within your control.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro has a list of schools that reward reinvention that you can go searching for.
And unfortunately DO doesn't do grade replacement anymore so your sGPA will be the same for both MD and DO. I'm concerned about your MCAT + low GPA combo. I know the upward trend is there but is there any chance you can retake the MCAT? The rest of your application is really stellar; would be a bummer if you were held back from factors within your control.

Thank you for your response! I might be wrong, but I believe that DO schools do not count math classes towards your science GPA, while MD programs do. That is the only reason I listed two different science GPA's.

Hi there!

I am a 23 year old in the middle of a gap year looking to apply summer 2018. I have a degree in Biology and am currently taking post bacc classes. I took 6 credits last semester, getting an A in both classes, and will do the same this Spring. I know this is not a robust number of post bacc hours, but I am doing this while working 50 hours a week, supporting myself, and paying for my classes. I have a 3.429 cGPA (Strong upward trend, 3.8 during last year of undergrad, 4.0 Post Bacc), a sGPA of 3.395 for DO schools, and a sGPA of 3.274 for MD schools. I retook two courses in which I got a D and a C-, doing well in both of the retakes. I also got a 503 on my MCAT, with a breakdown of 127/127/124/125.

I am a first generation college student and worked my way through college. By the time I apply I will have a year of paid clinical experience as a psychiatric tech (~1500 hours). I have strong extracurriculars. I spent 4 years as part of a large medical outreach organization, serving as the volunteer chair, secretary, vice president, student liaison for all chapter to our nationals, and student team leader for our biannual medical mission to Guyana. I was a coordinator for the largest student-run organization on campus, which last year fundraised over $1.8 million for the Children's Miracle Network and medically under served communities in the Florida panhandle. I also served as a mentor for the university Pre Health Living Learning Community. In total I have over 800 registered service hours. I have received multiple leadership and involvement based recognitions. I was also part of my university's competitive triathlon team for two years. I have extensive shadowing experience, including with a DO. I have 3 semester worth of research experience, including one published abstract. I have strong and diverse LOR, including one DO, one MD, 3 professors, and my direct supervisor from work.

I would really appreciate any advice as far as schools that I should add or drop from my list below, given my stats and experiences. Thank you so much for your help!!!

MD Programs
Florida State University
University of Central Florida
University of South Florida
Florida Atlantic University
Florida International University

DO Programs
LECOM-Bradenton
Nova Southeastern University
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
VCOM- all 3 campuses
PCOM-Georgia
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
ATSU- Arizona (SOMA)
Des Moines University
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences

I think you're fine for any DO program, except maybe AZCOM and CCOM. But stats are too low for MD, I fear. But chances will be best with the FL state schools.