What are my chances for the 2020 cycle? MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hazelnutmilktea

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
State of Residence: PA (Asian female)

Undergrad: psych major at top 30 school, large institution

MCAT: 516 (132/128/126/130) pretty weak bio, not sure if interviewers will bring this up?

cGPA: 3.797 --> (3.83 after this semester is over)
sGPA: 3.741

Research: 1 psych paper under review and 1 in process of writing (I was one of the developers of the research project for both papers, not just an assistant), conference presentation on the paper that's under review
160~ hours as microbiology lab research assistant, did literature review for the clinical research project under the rheumatologist I shadowed (not sure about hours since I did it on my own time, probably around 30?)

Shadowing: 50+ hours under rheumatologist, 8 hours under pediatrician, 8 hours under psychiatrist

Clinical work: ~300 hours at 3 large urban hospitals over 3 years (neuroscience, ER, internal medicine)

Volunteering: ~400 hours at senior center after this summer (secretary and assistant to nurse)

Miscellaneous: tutor at university's tutoring club, mentor at peer mentoring club, worked as a pharmacy tech for 3 years, will be a psych TA in the fall, should graduate magna cum laude

I'm worried about my non-clinical volunteering being more than my clinical, but I genuinely like working there very much.. I'm also concerned that my research experience is in psychology and not something traditional like bio or chem, so I don't have the ~lab experience~ like others, but again it's an area I'm tremendously interested in, and both of my projects are in topics that I love and that I initiated with my professor, so I'm not sure if these things will count against me. Thanks again for anybody that'll look this over!!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Commonwealth-Geisinger
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Boston University
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Einstein
Cincinnati
Georgetown
George Washington
Miami
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane

State of Residence: PA (Asian female)

Undergrad: psych major at top 30 school, large institution

MCAT: 516 (132/128/126/130) pretty weak bio, not sure if interviewers will bring this up?

cGPA: 3.797 --> (3.83 after this semester is over)
sGPA: 3.741

Research: 1 psych paper under review and 1 in process of writing (I was one of the developers of the research project for both papers, not just an assistant), conference presentation on the paper that's under review
160~ hours as microbiology lab research assistant, did literature review for the clinical research project under the rheumatologist I shadowed (not sure about hours since I did it on my own time, probably around 30?)

Shadowing: 50+ hours under rheumatologist, 8 hours under pediatrician, 8 hours under psychiatrist

Clinical work: ~300 hours at 3 large urban hospitals over 3 years (neuroscience, ER, internal medicine)

Volunteering: ~400 hours at senior center after this summer (secretary and assistant to nurse)

Miscellaneous: tutor at university's tutoring club, mentor at peer mentoring club, worked as a pharmacy tech for 3 years, will be a psych TA in the fall, should graduate magna cum laude

I'm worried about my non-clinical volunteering being more than my clinical, but I genuinely like working there very much.. I'm also concerned that my research experience is in psychology and not something traditional like bio or chem, so I don't have the ~lab experience~ like others, but again it's an area I'm tremendously interested in, and both of my projects are in topics that I love and that I initiated with my professor, so I'm not sure if these things will count against me. Thanks again for anybody that'll look this over!!
No need for DO.

I suggest:
Duke
Case
UCSF (maybe)
U VA (maybe)
U MI
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy