What are my chances/ help me generate a school list 3.61 GPA 23AA DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sykuno

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all i'm considering this year applying to Dental School. My GPA is a 3.61 (Biology major) rn will be probably around a 3.63 by the end of next semester my AA for my DAT was 23. Where should I consider applying/ should I take a gap year to beef up my application a bit? My chances for Stony Brook, Columbia, or NYU (top choices). Also i'm Asian and a NY resident.

I have the following extracurriculars:

100 hours shadowing dentists (2 rec letters)
Camp Counselor and Outreach Coordinator for Camp Kesem
Vice President Religious Organization (3 years involvement)
President Biochemistry Society
Research 1 year+1 summer
1.5 years Resident Assitant
4 Semesters TA (2 Ochem and 2 Physics)

Thank you for any and all input!

Members don't see this ad.

No gap year needed. Don't apply to more than 15 schools, you'll be wasting your money.

Apply to your state school if you have one, and then apply to a mix of public and private schools that are out of state. Make sure to look up the OOS to IS ratio for each school. For example, if you're OOS for Texas, do not apply to the Texas schools because they accept very few OOS students.

Reactions: 1 users
15 schools would be excessive, in my opinion. I'd say 10 schools max, which should include any in-state options and other privates or OOS-friendly schools

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
15 schools would be excessive, in my opinion. I'd say 10 schools max, which should include any in-state options and other privates or OOS-friendly schools

Maybe. I have slightly lower stats than OP and applied to 13 and don't regret applying to that many

Solid stats. No need for a gap year.

As for your chances I'm not telling you because it's a dumb question.

No gap year needed. Don't apply to more than 15 schools, you'll be wasting your money.

Apply to your state school if you have one, and then apply to a mix of public and private schools that are out of state. Make sure to look up the OOS to IS ratio for each school. For example, if you're OOS for Texas, do not apply to the Texas schools because they accept very few OOS students.

Truth.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised that you don't use the ADA list of dental schools. Or read through any of the other posts in the same application cycle. Either you don't have access to those resources or you're bragging. Either way, I don't think you will have any problem when applying to dental schools, if that's what you want to hear.