What are my chances!?! I'm so nervous!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmanc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a biochemistry and sociology double major with a biology minor.
  • I have co-founded two organizations at my school that have spread onto other universities
  • I have also been awarded two grants for research ideas; $25,000 and $20,000.
  • My overall gpa is about a 3.49.
  • I have letters of recommendations from two Deans.
  • I have had lab research experience for 6 months on Stem Cell Engineering
  • I have shadowed plenty of dentists
  • I have over >500 hours of volunteer work
  • I also have had jobs throughout my college career.
  • I had a summer internship at a Level 1 Trauma Center

However, I have yet to take the DAT. But if I got maybe a 20, would I have chances getting into schools like Baylor, Columbia, Temple, UCONN, VCU Dental, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a biochemistry and sociology double major with a biology minor.
  • I have co-founded two organizations at my school that have spread onto other universities
  • I have also been awarded two grants for research ideas; $25,000 and $20,000.
  • My overall gpa is about a 3.49.
  • I have letters of recommendations from two Deans.
  • I have had lab research experience for 6 months on Stem Cell Engineering
  • I have shadowed plenty of dentists
  • I have over >500 hours of volunteer work
  • I also have had jobs throughout my college career.
  • I had a summer internship at a Level 3 Trauma Center

However, I have yet to take the DAT. But if I got maybe a 20, would I have chances getting into schools like Baylor, Columbia, Temple, UCONN, VCU Dental, etc?

You already narrowed your schools down and you haven't taken the DAT. Get that done and maybe we can help some more. Your EC seem on par with most applicants. 3.49 is slightly below average GPA. Level 3 trauma center is good but level 1 is the better, maybe just say you volunteered at a hospital. We all have shadowed dentists and all of us have a lot of volunteering. Again, get your DAT score and then report back. Cheers.

Last edited:
Just to ease your mind a bit, Id say your ECs are great, not just on par. I applied with very little ECs (no research, no work experience in dentistry and almost no volunteering) and I got in! All you have to do is knock the DAT outta the park and you're set!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'd say your ECs are above what most applicants have. Get a lot of shadowing in and kill the DAT and you'll a good shot. I'd apply to as many school's as you could afford, I applied to 20. Which might have been overkill, but I really didn't want to go through this process again. Good luck!

Just do well on the DAT (21+) and you'll do fine.

Keep in mind that GPA and DAT scores are by far the two greatest factors. All that other stuff is icing on the cake. Like hitman advised, be sure to apply to plenty of schools. Don't sweat it. You'll get in somewhere :)

why the bump? people above answered your question well. It's hard to give you a definite answer without a DAT score. Your EC's look good though.

Reactions: 1 user