MD & DO What are my Chances in-state Tennessee schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty self explanatory in the title
My Stats are as follows:
I am rural area in-state resident, and I attend a public in-state University
Microbiology Major
3.57 Overall GPA, 3.9 non-science, 3.4 Science
180 shadowing hours in surgery, internal medicine, anesthesiology, and family medicine through ETSU's Medical Horizons program (this is a program that is run by Quillen COM)
20 Hours shadowing in Vanderbilt Cardiothoracic surgery
60 hours spent volunteering as an athletic trainer in my home-town
200 hours of being a Teaching Assistant in Biology (this is ongoing though and I will eventually have over 300 hours)
20 hours of volunteering at a local hospital
I am also a Student Ambassador for my University.

My GPA trend is pretty flat lined at around a 3.66/3.7 for all my years in school. I had a bad run in one class and made a C. It is my only C ever, and that is why my GPA dropped otherwise I would still have about a 3.68.

Unfortunately, I do not have my MCAT yet, but I am signed up to take it soon.

I am wondering what my chances are in getting into state schools or what else I can do to be a more competitive applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Your shadowing hours and your clinical volunteering hours should be reversed! You have WAY more shadowing hours than you need (50 is fine) and you really need to beef up the clinical volunteer (or clinical work) hours up to the 150-200 range (at least!).

Your chances are really dependent on your MCAT score. 508 and above should be good for your state schools.

Are you planning on applying next year?

Reactions: 1 user
Add more volunteering hours at the hospital until you reach 200 hours. If your MCAT is at least 508 you should receive interviews at your 2 state public schools. When are taking the MCAT? Apply next June and submit your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Like said, my MCAT is for the last date for this cycle so September 9th. I was going to see how did to determine when I applied. I felt that if I killed it then I could apply and have a shot.

Or I was thinking just going DO but I'm not sure about that option or competitiveness there either!

Also neither of you addressed my gpa, I was wondering on whether I should be worried there?

Post your MCAT score here when available in October and we can advise you about DO schools. Your GPA is fine for all DO schools and your state MD schools.