What are my chances? International student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vzla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a senior finishing a Psychology major with a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience. I am from Venezuela and came to the US 4 years ago with a swimming scholarship to go to college and with the goal to become a doctor. I took all the pre-med classes at a community college my freshmen and sophomore years (last year it became a state college). However, I also took 2 biochemistry classes and anatomy & physiology classes at my current university and got As in all of them.

Here are my stats:

3.9 cGPA and 3.9 sGPA
28R (10-9-9)
-President’s and Dean’s lists…
-College swimming at a division I school (4 years)
-I have been working in a lab with the biochemistry department for about a year, and will continue until I graduate… (no publications or posters)
-Work as a tutor (Spanish and sciences) for more than two years
-Shadowing experience at a hospital in the US
-Special Olympics
-6 months volunteer work at a children’s hospital during my senior year of high school in Venezuela, also did some physician shadowing with my dad-he is an ophthalmologist (will they consider these two??)

I am on a student visa, so I know there are fewer options available for me… I am planning to apply this summer early in the process but I don’t know if I should retake the mcat or just apply early with these stats… where should I apply?? What are my chances??

I would appreciate any help! Thanks…

Members don't see this ad.

If I compare you to the Canadian international student's and what they need, I'd say your gpa is good but you need to retake the mcat its too low for a international student.
However I'm also not sure how a student visa works in this situation to be honest. You might be given a better chance then a person who did his schooling totally in a foreign country.

I'm going to say that this situation is very ambigious. LizzyM might be able to help you, but i'd be looking to talk to your schools premedical committee as well.

no recent volunteering. and no mcat.

no shot

Members don't see this ad :)
You can refer to your HS medical volunteerism in your PS, but it is too long ago to be a serious entry in the Experiences section of a med school application. Without the usual and customary exposure to a US medical milieau, your application to a US med schools is unlikely to be seriously considered. The shadowing with your dad is fine to include, along with the US shadowing. Your research and community service look good, and your four years of athletic involvement is terrific.

Your GPA is excellent, but the MCAT is on the low side for an international student. At least you did well on the VS, a common pitfall for internationals. I think you'll need to retake it for consideration by allopathic (MD) schools, but it would be fine for osteopathic (DO) med schools.

For MD and DO consideration, get the clinical experience going.

Maple syrup brings up a point. Without 150 hours of recent volunteering at a hospital you'll have no chance.

I have sharp eyes.

I will be on adcom picking students one day...

I am going to manipulate them so much in those 15 mins... rubs palms and *evil snigger* :smuggrin:

Hahah I see.

Apparently snicker is also used in Canada.

Thats my Asian-British education roots there.

And apparently, urban dictionary sez->
snigger
->To laugh at the misfortune of another

liberal-fearing peoples will use snicker instead, since it sounds like the word ******, a racist term.

jeez. i tink sometimes US is a littttle too senisitive :p

I'm keeping my roots

SNIGGERING:D

Hey vzla! I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I'm also an International student from South America. I just PMed you. Good luck!!

PS. bannie22 is also an international student (canda). He can probably help you a lot.

thanks everyone for your feedback! I have some work to do... :)