What are my chances like? School Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Urzua89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure these things get posted a lot. But I just want to know what range of schools I should be looking at, and if schools like Stanford or Ivy leagues would be out of the question.
My sGPA is like 3.92
cGPA is about the same maybe a little definitely around the 3.9 range
MCAT still waiting on results I took my test July 18th and I'll be getting scores soon here, but based on scores of other people in the same percentile ranges for the AAMC practice test my score should be anywhere from 506-514. (I only had about 1 month of studying but most of that was spent in a summer physics class so I will retake it again next year if it is not good).
I have probably around 5,000 hours of clinical experience working in urgent care/surgery center/pain management clinics
I don't have much volunteer experience but I did do a medical mission in Ukraine which added up to be around 72 hours.
I currently work in a research lab but my first semester was this last spring so I don't have a lot of research exp.
I am from low SES, I am hispanic and white mixed male.
Just finished my application on August 7th so I know that can be a huge disadvantage.
Any thoughts? I don't really have much money to be wasting on applications so I was thinking about applying to 5 or so this cycle maybe one reach school and then if I don't get in the first time trying again next cycle and focusing on fixing the MCAT, getting more volunteer experience, and saving more money to apply to more schools (had no idea how much applying itself would cost).

Also what are some schools I should apply to based on my stats?
I applied to UofA Tucson (will apply to UofA Phoenix too if my MCAT is where I want it to be)
Thinking about these others too:
UCI (CA)
Morsani, or Miller depending on what my score looks like (FL)
University of Washington medical school (mainly for the location) (WA)
Stanford *REACH* (CA)
UCSF *REACH* (CA)
I have a huge list of ones that I would want to go to but these are the ones I am likely to apply for. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to tell without the MCAT, but being conservative with your MCAT, those numbers are not Stanford caliber. UCSF might like all the clinical experience. U WA is a waste is you don't live in the WWAMI states.

I suggest also trying UTX SA and TX A&M. they seem to like people with lots of clinical experience, even if from OOS.

Invest in MSAR Online and target schools that have median scores closest to your own. Pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information page.

I'm sure these things get posted a lot. But I just want to know what range of schools I should be looking at, and if schools like Stanford or Ivy leagues would be out of the question.
My sGPA is like 3.92
MCAT still waiting on results I took my test July 18th and I'll be getting scores soon here, but based on scores of other people in the same percentile ranges for the AAMC practice test my score should be anywhere from 506-514. (I only had about 1 month of studying but most of that was spent in a summer physics class so I will retake it again next year if it is not good).
I have probably around 5,000 hours of clinical experience working in urgent care/surgery center/pain management clinics
I don't have much volunteer experience but I did do a medical mission in Ukraine which added up to be around 72 hours.
I currently work in a research lab but my first semester was this last spring so I don't have a lot of research exp.
Just finished my application on August 7th so I know that can be a huge disadvantage.
Any thoughts? I don't really have much money to be wasting on applications so I was thinking about applying to 5 or so this cycle maybe one reach school and then if I don't get in the first time trying again next cycle and focusing on fixing the MCAT, getting more volunteer experience, and saving more money to apply to more schools (had no idea how much applying itself would cost).

I applied to UofA Tucson (will apply to UofA Phoenix too if my MCAT is where I want it to be)
UCI (CA)
Stanford *REACH* (CA)
UCSF *REACH* (CA)
I have a huge list of ones that I would want to go to but these are the ones I am likely to apply for. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I will update it once I get my MCAT scores back in about 6 days. The only thing about UTX SA and A&M is the separate application service. I will try TMDSAS next year after I have saved up some money if I don't get in this round, along with AACOM if needed. Would it be worth it to take the test again next year after having more time to study?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait and see what your MCAT really is. If you decide to do a retake would you not apply this cycle? You are applying to more than five schools aren't you?

My sGPA is like 3.92

UCI (CA)
Stanford *REACH* (CA)
UCSF *REACH* (CA)

There's a good chance the bold is not the best strategy. Applying to only 5 schools is just flirting with trouble unless you come from a rather lucky state. You don't want to be a re-applicant; do this process once the right way even if means sitting out for a year. Over the next year you have the chance to save up money to apply to more schools and give yourself your best shot. The late application cominbed with not having an MCAT score and very limited volunteer experience just add up to more and more reasons to wait a year until applying unless you live in a very fortunate state. I'll add big name schools like Stanford and UCSF are not particularly good bets without research experience and an MCAT score in the 30-34 range(although UCSF might not be out of the realm of possibility with that clinical exposure).

Applying to only 5 schools is just flirting with trouble unless you come from a rather lucky state. You don't want to be a re-applicant; do this process once the right way even if means sitting out for a year.
I already submitted my application, so I guess I'll be a reapplicant either way regardless.
I'm an AZ resident so I only have UACOM and UACOMPhx for MD.
You are applying to more than five schools aren't you?
If my MCAT is on the 510+ range I will consider applying to more and putting it on my credit card. But if it is closer to the 506 or lower I don't want to waste my money when I don't have a good chance.

I already submitted my application, so I guess I'll be a reapplicant either way regardless.
I'm an AZ resident so I only have UACOM and UACOMPhx for MD.
If my MCAT is on the 510+ range I will consider applying to more and putting it on my credit card. But if it is closer to the 506 or lower I don't want to waste my money when I don't have a good chance.

AZ is a relatively nice state to live in for admission purposes; both their state schools interview a fair number of IS applicants. So give it ago and see what happens then.