What are my chances? (LOW cGPA and sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemore97

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I unfortunately ended my bachelors degree with a cGPA of 2.9, and a sGPA of 2.5. I did a masters and finished that degree with a 3.9 GPA, and was able to raise my science GPA to a 2.70. My DAT score also did not go as planned, the breakdown was: 17AA, 17Bio, 16GC, 16OC, 21PA, 17QR, 2-RC, 17TS.

I do however have an extensive background in other activities such as volunteering and research. I have accumulated over 600 hrs of volunteering, and have 2 publications out with 1 on the way. I also have more than 350 hours of shadowing, and about 400 hours of an internship at a dental clinic, with an offer to work as the practice manager. I am also an artist, so a lot of my PS has to do with art and how it led me to the field of dentistry.

After calculating my sGPA, I've been very disheartened. I understand many schools have the sGPA cut off at 3.0, though they state it depends on the individual (I believe it's just a way to send secondaries and make money for them and know below a 3.0 often results in automatic rejection). I am asking for advice on how to make my application better. I will still be applying this cycle because it does not hurt to dip my toes into the experience, but am aware that it might not happen for me this year. So I'm asking,
1) What are my chances looking like? Stats wise I am not a competitive applicant, but my application holistically has potential I believe.
2) What can I do to make my application better this time around? I believe my PS focuses on art and my perseverance, rather than y shortcomings because I wanted to keep it positive and hopeful.
3) What can I do to make myself a better candidate for the next cycle in case it does not happen for me this cycle?

Thanks in advance guys. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd retake the DAT and aim for atleast a 20AA, I'd also look into schools with lower GPA acceptances and apply broadly

Reactions: 1 users
definitely retake the DAT, your masters GPA is excellent! I think you have a shot - as I have friends who got in with similar stats as yours. Make sure you apply to the right schools and your pre-reqs are above a C

Reactions: 1 user