How is cGPA and sGPA presented on the applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ntds

Reaction score
How are the grades broken out in the dental school application?

Undergrad cGPA sGPA
Graduate cGPA sGPA

Or is it

Overall cGPA
Undergrad cGPA sGPA
Graduate cGPA sGPA

For cutoffs, should I be more concerned with overall cGPA or undergrad cGPA?

Reason I ask, my overall cGPA would be lower than my undergraduate cGPA, since my graduate work unrelated to math/science is lower.

I plan to do a DYI post bac with undergraduate coursework. So, my graduate level cGPA would be below 3.0 while my undergraduate cGPA would likely be above 3.0.

Members don't see this ad.

There's an "overall GPA" which I think include UG + G.

In the med community a specialized masters program (SMP) gpa being low is usually a red flag. Not sure how it goes for dental admissions. At least be prepared to explain the low grad gpa. But it also depends on what your masters work is in I bet. What is your graduate work in?

There's an "overall GPA" which I think include UG + G.

In the med community a specialized masters program (SMP) gpa being low is usually a red flag. Not sure how it goes for dental admissions. At least be prepared to explain the low grad gpa. But it also depends on what your masters work is in I bet. What is your graduate work in?
in any community, a low graduate GPA is usually a red flag...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the sub 3.0 gpa for a graduate degree will be problematic for applying to dental school. You would have had to show that you can handle difficult graduate coursework given you didn't do as well in undergrad. And if you haven't been able to show that to adcoms, they will be hesitant to want to invite you to interview. Cutoffs are at 3.0(especially for science I believe), they will usually use your most recent credits when looking at you as an applicant but will also look at your whole academic career too. Have you had any upward trends in GPA?

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you print your personal copy of your application, you should see how GPA's are presented on the cover page and in the application "page of GPA's".

If Graduate GPA < Undergraduate GPA, that's not good.

Reactions: 1 user
A sub 3.0 graduate GPA is going to be a major red flag on your application. I’m assuming that the entire point of you doing a masters degree was to overcome a poor undergrad performance. To be blunt then, you failed in that regard. It’s a big hole to climb out of, if you even can.

Big Hoss