Jun 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
3.9 GPA, undergraduate research, varsity athletics, and other strong ec and letters of recommendation, graduated from a top 20 school....what are my chances of getting into MD with a 26P? 9, 9, Verbal 8?

Last edited:

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
You do have a chance, especially if you come from a state with a forgiving public school, provided you have very good extracurriculars. You can increase your chances of success with one cycle if you also apply to DO schools.

Mobius1985

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
There are worse states to be from. Do you have any modiifying factors to your application that might get you additional consideration? These might be stand-out extracurriculars, non-traditional age, legacy factor, membership in an underrepresented population group, non-native English speakers, interest in rural med, first family member to attend college, economic disadvantage, people with PhDs, ex-military, participants in Teach for America or the Peace Corps, steep upward GPA trend or a very-high BCPM GPA, etc.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
3.9 GPA, undergraduate research, varsity athletics, and other strong ec and letters of recommendation, graduated from a top 20 school....what are my chances of getting into MD with a 26P? 9, 9, Verbal 8?
I don't think you have a shot at MD until you retake the MCAT. Were you averaging a 25-27 on your practice tests, or was this unexpectedly low?

ZeusonRoids

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I don't think you have a shot at MD until you retake the MCAT. Were you averaging a 25-27 on your practice tests, or was this unexpectedly low?
I agree with this. No way will you have a shot anywhere but your state school (maybe) if you have a 26 on the MCAT. Unless you come from some sort of disadvantaged or URM background...and then it is still only MAYBE.

I REALLLLLYYY dont mean to sound like a complete dick here...but top 20 school don't mean **** on the street (at least without good #'s to back it up) because a TON of pre-meds are from top 20, top 10, top 5 schools. I am from a 3rd tier school and when I met my medical school class at USC a month or two ago, nearly EVERYONE I talked to was from some fancy top 20 program...I think I did meet like 5 people who were from state schools but those were all University of California schools that happened to be 1st tier schools (and I think a couple were even in the top 20 on their own.)

Anyway...I dont mean to be a downer, but I would consider a re-take of the MCAT or going to DO school