What are my chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asianlad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I applied to the Masters in OT program at Dominican University of California, Samuel Merritt University, Midwestern University and NYU. My overall undergraduate GPA is 3.02 and my 90 quarter units GPA is 3.14. I am in the process of completing my 100 volunteer hours at a hospital in SF, shadowing an OT. I sent 3 letters of recommendations instead of 2. What are my chances of getting in? My GPA is pretty low and I am little worried because there is a very stiff competition.

Members don't see this ad.

I need to start my NYU app! Ack!

I don't know about your chances, but it should be alright for Samuel Merritt...you're right around the average of their accepted applicants.

Have you thought of San Jose State University too, just to increase your chances?

I need to start my NYU app! Ack!

I don't know about your chances, but it should be alright for Samuel Merritt...you're right around the average of their accepted applicants.

Have you thought of San Jose State University too, just to increase your chances?

Hi! thanks for replying back.. I applied to schools that do not accept GRE because I did not take the GRE exam since English is my second language.

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia University doesn't require GRE either. It's due 1/3, so you still have time to do it. You should give it a shot =)

I am on the SAME BOAT AS U!!! i only applied at both the midwestern university and NYU...i have pretty much the same gpa as u too....did u hear back from any of them?

Does anyone know how many they accept into USC OT program? I applied to Samuel Merritt but haven't heard anything from them. They are horrible at responding I emailed the admissions director and she never got back to me.... so I'm guessing I'm not even considered for their program any more, since they were suppose to be doing interviews on January??

I also applied to SUNY and NYU... I'm considering Dominican too, but their app. isn't due until June. I was not granted acceptance to CSUDH, I live in Socal and I'd love to be close to home so I'm really hoping to get into USC. I hope I can into a prorgram this year! It seems to be a growing field, and there is more and more competition out there. Can anyone give me any tips or advice???

Did you hear from Samuel Merritt, or did you have an interview in January??? As what I've I read from their website that there were 180 applicants.... and they only accept 25, plus there wait list of like 20-30 depending on the qualified applicants.

Did you hear from Samuel Merritt, or did you have an interview in January??? As what I've I read from their website that there were 180 applicants.... and they only accept 25, plus there wait list of like 20-30 depending on the qualified applicants.
Hi..

I was interviewed by Samuel Merritt on January 23rd.. They were interviewing 110 applicants for 35 spots. Pretty competitive!

Does anyone know how many they accept into USC OT program? I applied to Samuel Merritt but haven't heard anything from them. They are horrible at responding I emailed the admissions director and she never got back to me.... so I'm guessing I'm not even considered for their program any more, since they were suppose to be doing interviews on January??

I also applied to SUNY and NYU... I'm considering Dominican too, but their app. isn't due until June. I was not granted acceptance to CSUDH, I live in Socal and I'd love to be close to home so I'm really hoping to get into USC. I hope I can into a prorgram this year! It seems to be a growing field, and there is more and more competition out there. Can anyone give me any tips or advice???

Hi... I think Samuel Merritt already did their interviews. If you don't mind me asking, what is your overall GPA and your science GPA? USC is one of the best schools for OT.. How long have you been trying to get into a program?

If you want to be competitive you must volunteer at different organizations, show them your leadership skills, do some extracurricular activities, etc... Make sure you have really good recommendation letters and you pretty much need to sell yourself to them by writing a really good personal statement. They look at everything, not just the GPA... Also, try to volunteer at two different OT settings ( ie: inpatient OT and at pediatric clinic).

Eeek, My undergrad GPA isn't that great. However, I'm hoping to save myself through the GRE which I am scheduled to take next week. I hear from many people that USC looks at the whole application and not just your GPA, where CSUDH looks at pretty much your GPA, probably good reason I was not accepted. As well as Samuel merrit I met the min requirements surpassing it by just barely, however I didn't have something to back me up like the GRE. They had to cut out some people seeing as how they got 180 applicants and starting at the lowest end is usually gonna be the case.

Its quite discouraging because I did hear that Samuel Merritt was a good saftey school. I graduated with my BA in 2008 and then I started to do pre-requisites because originally I wanted to go to medical school for my DO in pediatrics. I started working at a behavioral clinic and I some how changed routes and learned about OT. So for the past year I've been doing the last of the pre-requisites and started applying to schools. This is my first round of applications but I just feel so discouraged. I haven't heard from any schools besides CSUDH because they started already in January. I don't know yet my back up plan if I don't get in anywhere... I'm just really stressed right now trying to focus on doing good on the GRES next week.

I do believe I have great letters of recommendation, including an amazing OT whom I did over 100 hours of volunteer experience with. I thought I wrote a pretty well thought out essay. I currently work at a behavior clinic. I'm doing the best I can but I don't know what esle I can do at this point....

Hi..

I was interviewed by Samuel Merritt on January 23rd.. They were interviewing 110 applicants for 35 spots. Pretty competitive!
Congrats on getting an interview.... Seems to be pretty competitive. I wish you all the best!! Let me know how it went!

Eeek, My undergrad GPA isn't that great. However, I'm hoping to save myself through the GRE which I am scheduled to take next week. I hear from many people that USC looks at the whole application and not just your GPA, where CSUDH looks at pretty much your GPA, probably good reason I was not accepted. As well as Samuel merrit I met the min requirements surpassing it by just barely, however I didn't have something to back me up like the GRE. They had to cut out some people seeing as how they got 180 applicants and starting at the lowest end is usually gonna be the case.

Its quite discouraging because I did hear that Samuel Merritt was a good saftey school. I graduated with my BA in 2008 and then I started to do pre-requisites because originally I wanted to go to medical school for my DO in pediatrics. I started working at a behavioral clinic and I some how changed routes and learned about OT. So for the past year I've been doing the last of the pre-requisites and started applying to schools. This is my first round of applications but I just feel so discouraged. I haven't heard from any schools besides CSUDH because they started already in January. I don't know yet my back up plan if I don't get in anywhere... I'm just really stressed right now trying to focus on doing good on the GRES next week.

I do believe I have great letters of recommendation, including an amazing OT whom I did over 100 hours of volunteer experience with. I thought I wrote a pretty well thought out essay. I currently work at a behavior clinic. I'm doing the best I can but I don't know what esle I can do at this point....

I totally understand you. I am stressed to, but we have to think positive! I can think negative about stuff sometimes, but that won't do me any good. It is okay if you do not get in this fall, there is always next year. If you truly believe this is something that you want to do, then nothing can stop you from achieving your goal and you just have to keep trying. Don't get discourage....You won't do yourself justice if you are getting discourage! Believe in yourself! Keep studying and do good in your prerequisite classes. By the way, I would also recommend you to volunteer somewhere totally different. For example, you can volunteer at a recreation center, or help homeless people, or maybe volunteer for Habitat for Humanity for a day. They look at everything!

Anyway, the fact that you work at a behavioral clinic is a good thing because OTs work with different kinds of people and a lot of them have some kind of psychological issues. I mean you are working in a health related field... Make sure you get your personal statement proof read.

I've applied to four schools and have not heard any news, although, I did have one interview.

I'm waiting to hear from:

VCU
UNM
NYU
Columbia

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied to four schools and have not heard any news, although, I did have one interview.

I'm waiting to hear from:

VCU
UNM
NYU
Columbia

Good luck! I also applied to NYU and still have not heard anything from them. I think they will start sending interview invitations by march.

Asianlad,

NYU does not do interviews. At least that's what the speaker at the info-session told us. She emphasized that because they don't do interviews, the only way to get a sense of the person would be through the personal statement.

I applied to Samuel Merritt, Dominican, and USC. I have a 3.5 GPA, with all pre-req's completed. I haven't heard from any of the schools, and I am getting worried. I have left numerous messages with Samuel Mer and haven't recieved any calls back, even though their web-site states to call after 2/15 to find out why you weren't given an interview. Does anyone know when Dominican or USC plan to notify applicants?

I heard from USC in the mail yesterday; it was postmarked 2/24th so you should be hearing from them soon! I got accepted to Boston as well. Very excited :)

Asianlad,

NYU does not do interviews. At least that's what the speaker at the info-session told us. She emphasized that because they don't do interviews, the only way to get a sense of the person would be through the personal statement.

Thanks for clarifying me...

I heard from USC in the mail yesterday; it was postmarked 2/24th so you should be hearing from them soon! I got accepted to Boston as well. Very excited :)

Me too! Except for Boston, I didn't apply there. What are you going to do???

Hey for those that heard from USC, when did you submit the application?
I'm concerned that the class will get filled up before my application is reviewed. The department sent me a letter saying that my transcripts were not received, but when I call the grad admissions today they said they had it but they didn't review it yet.
congrats on your acceptance!

I am both elated and incredulous that I've been accepted to Columbia University.
Still waiting to hear from:

UNM
VCU
NYU