What are my chances of getting into dental schools? Should I put a pass/fail grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seekojr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry to bother I just need some opinions I am a senior with 2 C+ in cell bio and genetics. but I plan on putting a pass fail on genetics to help my gpa a little it will be around 3.1. I am also taking 3 high level science courses that I plan on acing. I am also studying for DAT at my moment. but did this semester got a B+ in biochem C+ in genetics and B- in ecology. you guys think I still have a chance? Should I retake cell bio to improve my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys sorry to bother I just need some opinions I am a senior with 2 C+ in cell bio and genetics. but I plan on putting a pass fail on genetics to help my gpa a little it will be around 3.1. I am also taking 3 high level science courses that I plan on acing. I am also studying for DAT at my moment. but did this semester got a B+ in biochem C+ in genetics and B- in ecology. you guys think I still have a chance? Should I retake cell bio to improve my GPA?
how do you plan on acing the three upper level sciences when you got C+ in cell bio and genetics?

Reactions: 1 user
Is your current GPA a 3.1? what will it become if you put a P/F on genetics? did you have cell bio this term as well as genetics?

I would hold off on studying for the DAT at this point. You need to really do your absolute best this next term to boost your GPA, otherwise you may be looking at a post-bac or SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
how do you plan on acing the three upper level sciences when you got C+ in cell bio and genetics?
I second this, I got a B+ in cell bio and an A in genetics and still had a hard time with the upper level science courses I took for my major. Moreover, you also got a B- in ecology, which is a relatively low level bio course. Not saying you can’t do it, you certainly can, but you might have to revisit how you study for these classes. I’m also wondering, did you start studying for the DAT *now* or were you studying during the semester and have continued to do so?

Hey! :) First off, you can do this! I know its rough at times, but based on what you've written, you just need to find good ways to study for yourself to help you out in these upper-level courses (which is totally understandable, everyone has to find out what works best for them and it takes everyone different amounts of time). I wouldn't take any pass/fail options at all if I were you, especially how you stated it's just to save your GPA - admission committees may see that you took that P/F to just "hide" something. If anything, I'd just buckle down and begin retaking some of the courses (maybe your cell biology one and genetics one) and maybe hold off on studying for the DAT for a bit.
Again, this is just what I'd do if I were in your position, so do not take anything as an absolute. BUT - keep your chin up and believe in yourself. You've got this, I promise! :)

Sorry for the late reply but I managed to get A's in my winter science classes (Evolution, Comparative physiology and Histology) my science GPA is 3.25 without a pass grade on genetics (C+) With pass fail its 3.4. Do I keep it or take it out? My cumulative is 3.6.

Is your current GPA a 3.1? what will it become if you put a P/F on genetics? did you have cell bio this term as well as genetics?

I would hold off on studying for the DAT at this point. You need to really do your absolute best this next term to boost your GPA, otherwise you may be looking at a post-bac or SMP.
Sorry for the late reply but I managed to get A's in my winter science classes (Evolution, Comparative physiology and Histology) my science GPA is 3.25 without a pass grade on genetics (C+) With pass fail its 3.4. Do I keep it or take it out? My cumulative is 3.6.

I second this, I got a B+ in cell bio and an A in genetics and still had a hard time with the upper level science courses I took for my major. Moreover, you also got a B- in ecology, which is a relatively low level bio course. Not saying you can’t do it, you certainly can, but you might have to revisit how you study for these classes. I’m also wondering, did you start studying for the DAT *now* or were you studying during the semester and have continued to do so?
I was studying off and on and decided to study full time now I take it in 2 weeks!

Hey! :) First off, you can do this! I know its rough at times, but based on what you've written, you just need to find good ways to study for yourself to help you out in these upper-level courses (which is totally understandable, everyone has to find out what works best for them and it takes everyone different amounts of time). I wouldn't take any pass/fail options at all if I were you, especially how you stated it's just to save your GPA - admission committees may see that you took that P/F to just "hide" something. If anything, I'd just buckle down and begin retaking some of the courses (maybe your cell biology one and genetics one) and maybe hold off on studying for the DAT for a bit.
Again, this is just what I'd do if I were in your position, so do not take anything as an absolute. BUT - keep your chin up and believe in yourself. You've got this, I promise! :)
Thank you so much for the motivation! I feel much better at this point! I Pushed myself and got As in my bio classes (except one A- in histology lol) But my GPA is 3.25 without pass fail on genetics, and 3.4 with it! what do you think! also thank you again!