what are my chances of getting into OT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im a male student at The University of Texas at Austin. I will be graduating in December 2012, with my BS in Human Development and Family Sciences.

Right now, I am an intern at a pediatric OT/SLP clinic here in Austin, Texas. I have 150 hours here, as well as 40 hours in a short term rehab center, and 20 in another peds clinic back home.

As of right now, I applied to all 6 schools in Texas (UTHCSCA, UTMB, TWU, TECH, UTEP, and UTPA) and I am applying to 5 more out of state schools through the OTCAS system application.

The thing is my gpa isn't very good. My prerequisite gpa for TWU is a 3.5, and last 60 hours it was around a 3.3. For the other texas programs, my pre-gpa has been around a 3.1-3.3.

My overall gpa is about a 2.9 :/ I had a very difficult for two years of college. My father passed away to lung cancer and my mother struggled financially every day.

My personal statement is where i explained my hardships and my interest and devotion to becoming an OT. I have also had a few mentor and peer coaches revise and edit my paper.

I am applying to several out of state programs that have minimum overall gpa admissions of 2.5, 2.7, 2.8 and so for.

Are my chances of getting in somewhere ok at least?

Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!
I am also applying to every school in Texas, with the exception of UTPA because I do not have Physics I. Anyway, I do think you have a shot but like everywhere else in the country getting into an OT program has become insanely hard. I think the fact that you have 150 hours is awesome but is there anyway you can re-take some pre-reqs? I think if you have a low overall GPA you should have a high pre-req GPA. Also have you taken the GRE? I think you have a better shot at UTEP and UTPA they still get a TON of apps but not nearly as much as the other Texas schools. I think some schools will take your hardships into consideration but with some schools getting almost 400 apps they will inevitably use GPA cutoffs. For example, TWU uses a GPA cutoff which has been 3.5-3.6 the past two years. I wish you luck and hope you get in somewhere this cycle!

Hey CCTXgirl,

I appreciate your words of encouragement! I agree with you on retaking some pre-reqs but after I graduate, it's going to be tough paying for school when I'm currently on financial aid. As of right now my pre-reqs are this:

Anatomy- 4hrs - B
Physiology- 4hrs - A
Abnormal psy- 3 hrs - A
Lifespan psy - 3hrs - B
Stats- 3hrs - A
Physics - 4 hrs - C
Medical Term - 3 hrs - B
Anthropology - 3hrs - B
Sociology - 3hrs- C
English Composition 1 and 2 - B and A

What hurt me was taking extra science course that I didn't need my first two years ( genetics, ochem, etc.) But I have taken the GRE and I didn't do that great. I was above 800 combined and 3.5 in writing. I am just hoping to get into an OT somewhere, because I want this extremely bad, like many people. But honestly, I appreciate your response, I wish you the best of luck as well!

Hey, are you open to relocating? I currently go to Bay Path College in Massachusetts. I had to relocate from New York. It was all worth it. You should look on their website and see if it's something that is suitable for you. If you have a 3.0 you can definitely apply, they will highly consider you. Another great thing about Bay Path is that they don't require GRE. Good luck with your search and please come back to let me know how things went. You should apply As soon as possible. The earlier, the better, (given your undergrad GPA situation). I encourage you to also include a letter of support explaining the reason why your undergrad GPA is 2.9. At Bay Path, they strongly encourage male students to apply.