What are my chances of getting into vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillikat

Reaction score
I am a 22year old female who is graduating with a BS in Biology in less than a month. I am about to apply to vet schools and I would like some advice.
Schools i’m applying to: Western University (my dream school), Colorado State University, University of Arizona, LIU CVM, Virginia Maryland, Ross, SGU, Washington
Cumulative GPA: 2.8
Science GPA: 2.9
GRE: 146, 147, 4.00
Vet Experience: worked as a vet tech in a multi-doctor small animal and rehab general practice for 1.5 years, currently working as a tech for about 1 year now at a small animal multi-doctor Emergency and Specialty Clinic, animal tech at the lab at my university for laboratory animal medicine for a few months now and currently still working there
Volunteer Experience: volunteered as a camp counselor for a musical theatre camp for 3 summers and was also assistant director my 3rd summer, volunteered for 3 months at an animal rehab clinic
Research: field work in TBRF in birds for 4 months over the summer with a PHD student
Other Experience: Fear-Free Certified vet professional, Internship with a vet in laboratory animal medicine at my undergrad university, part of the pre-vet club on campus for 3 years, 4-H, worked and lived on a ranch with horses and cattle
LORs: 2 from DVM’s at the Emergency and Specialty Clinic, 2 from DVM’s at general practice clinic, 1 from my Parasitology Lab Instructor that I also assisted research with, 1 from DVM I did my laboratory animal medicine internship with

I know my GPA is low. When COVID hit, I struggled a lot with learning online and my grades plummeted. I also had 2 deaths in the family during that time, and I was diagnosed with an eating disorder and OCD/OCP. I have since been in therapy regularly and will continue to do so, in a much better mental space, living a healthier life style, and have been working to repair my GPA and show that I can handle rigorous courses with a lot on my plate. I know how my past struggles affected me and how I have grown and learned from them and how it will make me a better student and future Vet (hopefully). I am prepared to discuss them in detail in my application. I am super concerned that schools will not look past my GPA and read my explanations on my grades or consider the rest of my application. I plan on retaking the GRE and I am confident I can improve my score. I am also planning to retake and take some more upper division bio courses post back while I apply this application cycle. I want some advice on what you guys think my chances are I’m getting into vet school. (Especially Western U and it’s my number 1 choice) I also want to know if there are any other ways I can improve my chances of standing out and getting into vet school! Any and all advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 22year old female who is graduating with a BS in Biology in less than a month. I am about to apply to vet schools and I would like some advice.
Schools i’m applying to: Western University (my dream school), Colorado State University, University of Arizona, LIU CVM, Virginia Maryland, Ross, SGU, Washington
Cumulative GPA: 2.8
Science GPA: 2.9
GRE: 146, 147, 4.00
Vet Experience: worked as a vet tech in a multi-doctor small animal and rehab general practice for 1.5 years, currently working as a tech for about 1 year now at a small animal multi-doctor Emergency and Specialty Clinic, animal tech at the lab at my university for laboratory animal medicine for a few months now and currently still working there
Volunteer Experience: volunteered as a camp counselor for a musical theatre camp for 3 summers and was also assistant director my 3rd summer, volunteered for 3 months at an animal rehab clinic
Research: field work in TBRF in birds for 4 months over the summer with a PHD student
Other Experience: Fear-Free Certified vet professional, Internship with a vet in laboratory animal medicine at my undergrad university, part of the pre-vet club on campus for 3 years, 4-H, worked and lived on a ranch with horses and cattle
LORs: 2 from DVM’s at the Emergency and Specialty Clinic, 2 from DVM’s at general practice clinic, 1 from my Parasitology Lab Instructor that I also assisted research with, 1 from DVM I did my laboratory animal medicine internship with

I know my GPA is low. When COVID hit, I struggled a lot with learning online and my grades plummeted. I also had 2 deaths in the family during that time, and I was diagnosed with an eating disorder and OCD/OCP. I have since been in therapy regularly and will continue to do so, in a much better mental space, living a healthier life style, and have been working to repair my GPA and show that I can handle rigorous courses with a lot on my plate. I know how my past struggles affected me and how I have grown and learned from them and how it will make me a better student and future Vet (hopefully). I am prepared to discuss them in detail in my application. I am super concerned that schools will not look past my GPA and read my explanations on my grades or consider the rest of my application. I plan on retaking the GRE and I am confident I can improve my score. I am also planning to retake and take some more upper division bio courses post back while I apply this application cycle. I want some advice on what you guys think my chances are I’m getting into vet school. (Especially Western U and it’s my number 1 choice) I also want to know if there are any other ways I can improve my chances of standing out and getting into vet school! Any and all advice appreciated!
Most schools have a minimum GPA cut off of 3.0 that I’ve seen so I would make sure that all the schools you are planning to apply to are below your GPA. I did check that Western U has a minimum of 2.75. From what I’ve heard regarding Colorado is that it’s difficult to gain acceptance as OOS so I would not recommend applying there as you have a lower chance with your GPA. There is a thread on SDN that you should look through where students in that cycle post their stats and the schools they gained acceptances to. There are students with lower GPAs posting that may be helpful to look at to get an understanding of how you compare.

Would you be able to calculate your hours worked for vet experience? That’s a better representation and allows us to see what schools will be viewing.

Most schools no longer need the GRE so make sure that it is a prerequisite prior to spending so much time studying for it and paying for it.

To give yourself the best chance, I would recommend skipping this year and re-evaluating once youve taken more classes and improved your GPA as your GPA will weigh your application down. It is possible to gain acceptances now but with the amount of money sunk into applications and supplementals and sending GREs and time, it may not be worth it if you’re going to be at a disadvantage with how your GPA stands right now. If you are completely set on shooting your shot this cycle, I would make sure that every other part of your application is great. You have a lot of eLORS - make sure that all of them will be stellar and if one isn’t going to be then you don’t need to include them as your recommender. There’s a thread on SDN where vet students/vets volunteer to read and edit personal essays so that can be helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Additionally, calculating your last 45 credits can be helpful to us also as this can be a representation to some schools of you improving your grades.

I applied (in 2010) with a 2.9 cumulative. I had ten rejections and one acceptance at AVC. I think if you can take multiple years to repeat prereqs and take (and get A’s) in some upper level sciences, you can apply with an explanation statement detailing your struggles but focusing on the “new you”. That also gives you more time to focus on your mental well-being, which needs to be as rock solid as possible before starting vet school.