What are my chances of matching into psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoolNerd

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M3 with a 4.0 GPA first two years of med school, 256 on Step 1, and some volunteer work. I don't have any research (yet hopefully I can do some M4 year but idk if that will even help me).

I'm interested in going to a competitive psych program and I want to know what I can do to improve my CV and application. I am doing a couples match with my fiance who also is interested in psych but doesn't plan on attending a competitive program. Tips?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M3 with a 4.0 GPA first two years of med school, 256 on Step 1, and some volunteer work. I don't have any research (yet hopefully I can do some M4 year but idk if that will even help me).

I'm interested in going to a competitive psych program and I want to know what I can do to improve my CV and application. I am doing a couples match with my fiance who also is interested in psych but doesn't plan on attending a competitive program. Tips?
I'd be more worried about finding a location of a 'competitive program' that you'd be interested that's close to a 'not competitive program' that she's interested in. Have you been able to identify those? Your numbers are fine (fantastic) so I wouldn't stress that.

Reactions: 1 user

Lol, I wish I had the problems you've got. You're fine. Do some volunteering or research in psych if you want. Work hard during rotations, make some connections, and get some solid LORs and I'd think you'd be golden at most places as long as you don't blow the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be more worried about finding a location of a 'competitive program' that you'd be interested that's close to a 'not competitive program' that she's interested in. Have you been able to identify those? Your numbers are fine (fantastic) so I wouldn't stress that.
Careful st2205, your preconceptions are showing. Maybe OP is female. Maybe neither one of them are female for that matter.

Reactions: 3 users
Careful st2205, your preconceptions are showing. Maybe OP is female. Maybe neither one of them are female for that matter.

It does appear the word fiancé denotes a male engaged to be married.

It seems I never appreciated the difference between fiancée and fiancé. This would indicate that the OP is female I guess.

Fiancee | Define Fiancee at Dictionary.com

www.dictionary.com/browse/fiancee
  1. Cached
"woman to whom one is betrothed," 1853, from French fianceé, fem. of fiancé, past participle of fiancer "to betroth," from fiance "a promise, trust," from fier "to trust," from Vulgar Latin *fidare (see affiance). ... The verb fiance, now obsolete, was used c.1450-1600 for "to engage to be married."
Fiance | Define Fiance at Dictionary.com
www.dictionary.com/browse/fiance
  1. Cached
a man who is engaged to be married. C19: from French, from Old French fiancier to promise, betroth, from fiance a vow, from fier to trust, from Latin fīdere. Word Origin and History for fiancé n. "man to whom one is betrothed," 1864, from French fiancé, past participle of fiancer "to betroth" (see fiancee).

Reactions: 1 user