What are my chances? PA to MD/DO in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryze

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow med school applicants!

I am currently in my clinical year of PA school. It’s a nice profession and thought this would be my end goal. However, this journey has only furthered my passion in medicine and don’t want to stop here. I want to go to medical school to deepen my medical knowledge and have more autonomy.

I wanted to ask what you guys thought would be my chances if I apply to Texas Medical schools:

-TCOM/UTSW are my top choices
-Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology
-Master of Physician Assistant Studies Degree
-PA work experience: ~1 year
-1,200 hours of ER medical scribe experience
-125 hours of volunteering in undergrad
-National Society of Leadership and Success member in undergrad
-involved in a spiritual/religious community that do mission trips and activities
-certifications: BLS, ACLS
-clinical skills (will have when I’m working/already practicing some right now in clinical rotations): suturing, digital/field/topical block, lumbar puncture, intubation, IV’s with ultrasound, joint reductions, I&D’s, joint effusion, staples, surgical first assist in the OR, etc

For the grades, they are not the best:
-Overall undergrad GPA: 3.57
-Overall BCPM: 3.42
-Overall BCP: 3.44
-MCAT: not taken yet
-77 hours of science credits

What are my chances of landing interviews in Texas and getting in?

Any feedback is much appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I am currently in my clinical year of PA school. It’s a nice profession and thought this would be my end goal. However, this journey has only furthered my passion in medicine and don’t want to stop here. I want to go to medical school to deepen my medical knowledge, have more autonomy, lead a team, and have the last say.

I wanted to ask what you guys thought would be my chances if I apply to all Texas Medical schools in 3 years:

-I will be age 28 when I apply
-I have lived in Dallas for 20 years (UTSW is the dream school)
-I have connections in UTSW who are lifelong friends/doctors that could potentially write letter of recs
-Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology
-Master of Physician Assistant Studies Degree
-two years of working as a healthcare provider (most likely in the ER; also add one more year during the wait time)
-1,200 hours of ER medical scribe experience
-125 hours of volunteering in undergrad (is volunteering very important for a non-traditional?)
-National Society of Leadership and Success member in undergrad
-involved in a spiritual/religious community that do mission trips and activities
-however, I have zero research experience at the moment (can probably add some in the next 3 years, any advice?)
-certifications: BLS, ACLS
-clinical skills (will have when I’m working/already practicing some right now in clinical rotations): suturing, digital/field/topical block, lumbar puncture, intubation, IV’s with ultrasound, joint reductions, I&D’s, joint effusion, staples, surgical first assist in the OR, etc

For the grades, they are not the best:
-Overall undergrad GPA: 3.57
-Overall BCPM: 3.42
-Overall BCP: 3.44
-Let’s say my overall PA GPA will be: 3.5
-77 hours of science credits
-Still need to take a biochemistry course
-Still need to take the MCAT: I’ll be aiming for 515+

What are my chances of landing interviews in Texas and getting in? I prefer MD (I know it is tougher), but I wouldn’t mind a DO program either. Also getting accepted in Dallas would be the dream (UTSW, TCOM, UNT).

Thank you for any advice on improving my resune! Let me know if you have any questions!
Others will have more input, but you should be fine for Texas MD schools if that's what you are aiming for.

"...and have the last say."

Not sure I'd say that in an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Aiming for a 515+ is not the same as achieving a 515+

Reactions: 2 users
You're a PA student. You aren't boarded. You haven't practiced. How do you know that you won't enjoy being a PA-C? That will be what all the adcoms want to know.

I ask these questions because I'm a PA that decided to make the jump to MD in Texas oddly enough. You get 3 letters with TMDSAS. Your supervising physicians and PA professors would make much better letters than any personal contacts you may have at the Texas schools.

I can't stress how important the MCAT will be for you. It's been a long time since you had your basic sciences. A high MCAT will show adcoms that you have maintained your basic competencies. A low MCAT is a back breaker for a non-trad.

Edit: This is really weird, what you plan to do is literally almost exactly what I have done. Let me know if you have any questions or need any advice.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.