What are my chances? Retake? PS=12, VR=8, BS=11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teebz64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a resident of Florida. I applied to all 6 schools in Florida plus Tulane, Vanderbilt, and Emory. My science GPA is 4.0 and non-science GPA is 4.0. I have taken one MCAT and the break down goes like this: PS= 12, VR= 8, BS=11, Writing= Q. 6 AAMC practice exams average= 35. I have lots of shadowing experience from a variety of surgeons, I was in the military, some volunteer work, and 1 year of working in research lab for work-study program but no research yet. I don't particularly care whether I attend a top 20 medical school or not, I just want to get admitted somewhere. I am concerned that my 8 in VR will substantially hurt my chances for acceptance, and I was wondering if I should retake the MCAT or apply to more medical schools or both. Would the August 22 MCAT be too late in the 2010 admissions cycle? Also, are there any medical schools that combine section scores from different test in calculating your final MCAT score, or do all schools go by your most recent score?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll be fine as you are considering that all the Florida schools and Tulane have a bottom tenth percentile for verbal of 8 or below. For Emory and Vanderbilt it's 9. I'd probably use the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum to pick out some other schools with a low verbal tenth percentile.

If getting into a more selective school is important to you, then retake immediately, and hope the score isn't lower.

I've heard there's a school that makes a composite MCAT from your best subscores, but I don't know which it is. Perhaps there's more than one.

I think you'll be fine as you are considering that all the Florida schools and Tulane have a bottom tenth percentile for verbal of 8 or below. For Emory and Vanderbilt it's 9. I'd probably use the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum to pick out some other schools with a low verbal tenth percentile.

If getting into a more selective school is important to you, then retake immediately, and hope the score isn't lower.

I've heard there's a school that makes a composite MCAT from your best subscores, but I don't know which it is. Perhaps there's more than one.

Yeah, your 8 will be okay in FL and at Tulane. Beyond that, I don't think your unbalanced MCAT will fare too well, especially with that 8.

There are schools that take composite MCAT, more than 1 from what I understand. I think there are some older threads on SDN that talk about this - check it out. And as always, call the school to confirm they still look at composite scores.