What are my chances? Should I retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midwest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a nontraditional applicant and am debating whether or not I should retake the MCAT. I have a 3.5-3.7 GPA and a 25-28 mcat.
I was disappointed with my score. I feel like I could improve my score if I retook in August. But that will put my applications in a lot later.

Any advice? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here's my 2-cents: Look at the schools that you are interested in and see what is typical for them. There's no reason not to retake a 25. It's the national average, so I'm guessing with a retake there is a good chance that you will improve. However, if a 25 is fine for the DO school you're interested in (which for many it probably is), then why bother retaking? Focus on convincing the adcoms in your secondaries.

Hello. I am a nontraditional applicant and am debating whether or not I should retake the MCAT. I have a 3.53c/3.62s and a 25 mcat.
I was disappointed with my score as I scored between 27-29 on my practice exams. I feel like I could improve my score to at least a 27 if I retook in August. But that will put my applications in a lot later.

Any advice? Thank you!

Your GPA looks great and your MCAT isn't terrible. I'm not sure I would recommend a retake to improve your score by two points at the risk of submitting your application in September. Try to stay away from schools that focus heavily on MCAT scores such as Nova. You should be fairly competitive considering it is still early in the cycle and, if you apply broadly, you will likely get some acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! It is a hard decision for me so I appreciate the help. I am still debating whether a application with a (potentially) higher MCAT but submitted in late September is better than my application with my current MCAT submitted now.

Does anyone know if I can submit my preliminary application and secondary applications now and just indicate that I am retaking it? (I already have it verified)

Thanks.

Congratulations on your acceptance. Apply broadly. And make sure you don't get shifty eyed when you talk about osteopathic medicine.

Hello. I am a nontraditional applicant and am debating whether or not I should retake the MCAT. I have a 3.53c/3.62s and a 25 mcat.
I was disappointed with my score as I scored between 27-29 on my practice exams. I feel like I could improve my score to at least a 27 if I retook in August. But that will put my applications in a lot later.

Any advice? Thank you!

I had a 3.5c/3.4s and a 25 (7/7/11) and I got interviews at LECOM-B, LMU, PCOM-GA, WCU, ACOM, and CUSOM. Only went to 3/7 interviews and got accepted at all three places. As long as ur okay with newer schools I think you'll be fine. I submitted late July and got verified in August too so I was late in te cycle. It all depends on where u want to go

Concur.

Here's my 2-cents: Look at the schools that you are interested in and see what is typical for them. There's no reason not to retake a 25. It's the national average, so I'm guessing with a retake there is a good chance that you will improve. However, if a 25 is fine for the DO school you're interested in (which for many it probably is), then why bother retaking? Focus on convincing the adcoms in your secondaries.

I had a 3.5c/3.4s and a 25 (7/7/11) and I got interviews at LECOM-B, LMU, PCOM-GA, WCU, ACOM, and CUSOM. Only went to 3/7 interviews and got accepted at all three places. As long as ur okay with newer schools I think you'll be fine. I submitted late July and got verified in August too so I was late in te cycle. It all depends on where u want to go

Congrats! :)

If you don't mind me asking, approximately when was your first interview invite?*

Where did you interview/decide to attend?