What are my chances so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior in my undergraduate courses and my current cGPA is a 3.05 sGPA 3.0, but I still have over 40 credit hrs. left to take to graduate, so that should give me time to bring that up considering that I make A's throughout those classes. Currently I am doing research at school, have shadowing experience with a family practice doctor, and plan on getting into different organizations at school to become more involved. I have worked full-time through school, which caused me to slack off on my studies and end up having a 3.05 gpa. If I continue on with all A's I'll end up having a 3.37cGPA and 3.6sGPA. What are my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school with what I have done and am planning on doing until I graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would not make excuses for the lower grades. You are going to be competing against plenty of people who work full-time and go to school and still manage 3.8+ gpa's. Not trying to be an a-hole about it..but just sayin!

So if you manage to pull off all A's, that would be great of course. If I were you, I would concentrate fully on academics at this point. If you can't study enough b/c of EC's then drop the EC's. At this point, raising your GPA is your main objective. If you can manage then more power to you.

It is impossible to say your chances without an MCAT score...but with your projected GPA you will prob need at least a 32-33 to be competitive considering your GPA's will be below the average at a majority of schools if not all of them.

Thanks for the response.. No I don't think your an A-hole, but time management was a big issue for me juggling work and school and I was told to put that in my personal statement so that med schools will know why I didn't perform as well. The school I'm applying doesn't have a minimum GPA requirement, but has a MCAT requirement of 24. The average GPA for the school is a 3.7, but they prefer to use the hollistic approach when choosing an applicant, so with the extra activites I've done,a 3.37 gpa, and at good MCAT score my chances seem to be better I think. Also I had 5 D's in classes earlier on during my freshman and sophmore years that I had to retake and make better in, which I did, and I hope that that doesn't hold me back.

I am currently a senior in my undergraduate courses and my current cGPA is a 3.05 sGPA 3.0, but I still have over 40 credit hrs. left to take to graduate, so that should give me time to bring that up considering that I make A's throughout those classes. Currently I am doing research at school, have shadowing experience with a family practice doctor, and plan on getting into different organizations at school to become more involved. I have worked full-time through school, which caused me to slack off on my studies and end up having a 3.05 gpa. If I continue on with all A's I'll end up having a 3.37cGPA and 3.6sGPA. What are my chances of getting into an allopathic medical school with what I have done and am planning on doing until I graduate?

Hey OP,

First off welcome to SDN!

Second, clarifying, you said with your 40 hours left of courses, your sGPA would jump from 3.05 --> 3.6? Did you just recently switch to pre-med and are now taking all your pre-med courses?

Third, could you provide a better breakdown? How many hours of volunteering do you have? Has your job given you good leadership experiences?

Best of Luck OP and I wish you the best in your endeavors!
LaughingMan