What are my chances - Sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Assaivivace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First generation college student
Hispanic.Speak Spanish fluently.
GPA: 3.297
From rural Wisconsin.
Have a full, service-based scholarship to a decent university in the midwest.
I'm a sophomore, was a non-science major, non-prehealth but transferred into Biomedical Sciences with a minor in Psychology.

Freshman Year:
English 1 - A
Theology 1 - A
French 1 - A
History 1 - A
Finite Math - C

2nd Semster
English 1 - A
Bio (not gen Bio, b.s. one for core req) - B
French - BC
History BC
Calc - W. (again, family emerg. and something had to give..)

Summer: General Biology 1 - B
General Biol 2 & Chem 1 - W (withdrew due to family emerg.)

Sophomore year, 1st semester (hopefully)

Anatomy (4 credit course with lab, pretty much taught at a graduate level) - A
Philosophy 1 - A or AB
Chemistry 1 - C or BC (probably a C)
French - BC (poss. B)
Psychology - BC

Second Semester sophomore year,there is a good chance I will have the opportunity to take Gross Anatomy.

Basically, my grandmother has severe Alzheimer's and is dying. This is pretty much why my grades have been going down. Between trips back home, and other distractions, I haven't been able to focus on anything except for Anatomy, which I'm obsessive about.

Extracurriculars.. I have a ton. Leadership positions in 4-5 student organizations. Pre-health honor society member. Service based scholarship requires I do 300 hours a year. Strong involvement in service and social justice on campus and around the city. No clinical experience yet, since I just decided over the summer I wanted to pursue a career in health care so I'm working on it. Working on getting research experience next semester.

I figure by the end of Junior year I can bump my GPA back up to a 3.6-3.7.

If I can improve my grades drastically, bump up my extracurriculars to be more health-care oriented, get some shadow experience in, and rock the MCAT, realistically, do I have a shot at some decent MD schools? Any MD schools? Ideally want to apply to Loyola, Med College of Wisconsin, maybe Madison... Creighton, etc.
Yes and Yes.

You might consider taking a leave from college before your GPA suffers further, until your family situation is more stable, so you will have less GPA damage to repair. It is important to demonstrate an understanding of your limitations.

If I get a C in Gen Chem 1 but an AB or A in Chem 2, and orgo should I retake Chem 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not if you understood it well enough to do well on the MCAT, as the good grade in the second course of the series "redeems" the lower grade sufficiently.

That statement is comforting :)