What Are My Chances? (Sorry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmpedUp

The Legend Still Lives
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been surfing Predents the last few days to see if my DAT renders a retake and it's still a dilemma to me as to whether I should schedule a test in 3 months and study. It's just that I want to get the whole picture, but I'm not really getting it from there. I mean, I want to begin writing my personal statement and get some papers together for the application, but the DAT is really standing in the way right now. Besides, I'm also preparing to graduate this semester. I am going to call several schools this week just to be safe, but I would really appreciate it if I can get your input on here.

Schools I'm interested in applying: Those that tend to take someone with a higher GPA and ignore individual score sections of the DAT and look at only the Academic Average and/or Total Science scores.

It doesn't matter where I go. It just matters that I go somewhere.

Sidenote: Opinions I've received so far have been mixed, including from a few SDN members that I contacted by PM.

----------------------
My DAT Scores
Bio 19
GC 21
OC 18
PAT 16
RC 16
QR 16

TS 19
AA 18

I'll admit that I didn't focus hard enough on RC and QR. However, PAT really surprised me, because I was getting higher scores on CDP.

My sGPA is 3.72 and oGPA is 3.77 (calculated using AADSAS's method)

Thanks to all that reply. Sorry for the repetitive question. A short or long (or whatever length) list of schools would be cool to see. Like I said, I'm just curious about my chances if I decided not to retake. Honestly, I'm a little worried that some of my science section scores I received on my DAT will take a hit on the retake...so yeah...just being extra careful here.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
your pat and rc are low, i would retake. you might score a few interviews because of your higher GPA or you might not hear anything at all.

your pat and rc are low, i would retake. you might score a few interviews because of your higher GPA or you might not hear anything at all.

All right.

Say if I got lower scores in the natural science sections and higher scores on PAT, QR, and RC....how would schools compute my DAT score? The one with the highest TS/AA or take the highest score from each section? That's what I'm confused about.

Off the top...Which schools would give me an interview? Also, which schools just look at the DAT Academic Average score?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been surfing Predents the last few days to see if my DAT renders a retake and it's still a dilemma to me as to whether I should schedule a test in 3 months and study. It's just that I want to get the whole picture, but I'm not really getting it from there. I mean, I want to begin writing my personal statement and get some papers together for the application, but the DAT is really standing in the way right now. Besides, I'm also preparing to graduate this semester. I am going to call several schools this week just to be safe, but I would really appreciate it if I can get your input on here.

Schools I'm interested in applying: Those that tend to take someone with a higher GPA and ignore individual score sections of the DAT and look at only the Academic Average and/or Total Science scores.

It doesn't matter where I go. It just matters that I go somewhere.

Sidenote: Opinions I've received so far have been mixed, including from a few SDN members that I contacted by PM.

----------------------
My DAT Scores
Bio 19
GC 21
OC 18
PAT 16
RC 16
QR 16

TS 19
AA 18

I'll admit that I didn't focus hard enough on RC and QR. However, PAT really surprised me, because I was getting higher scores on CDP.

My sGPA is 3.72 and oGPA is 3.77 (calculated using AADSAS's method)

Thanks to all that reply. Sorry for the repetitive question. A short or long (or whatever length) list of schools would be cool to see. Like I said, I'm just curious about my chances if I decided not to retake. Honestly, I'm a little worried that some of my science section scores I received on my DAT will take a hit on the retake...so yeah...just being extra careful here.

I'm just curious, when you first studied for the DAT how long did you actually study for? If you didn't study as well as you could of, I would go ahead and retake. But overall I think a retake is necessary. This is due to the low scores in QR,RC, and PAT.

Three 16s (with 2 in pretty important sections, PAT and RC) is not that great...I have seen people retake with better scores than that, so I would recommend you do the same. Don't worry about your science scores going down, just study everything over again and don't go into it with the mindset of ONLY improving the sections you did poorly in. I also don't think schools will combine your DAT scores to get the best of all sections either. You have a couple months to study (plenty of time) and retake before the new cycle opens up in June, so get to it! Good luck :)

Also, do a search on the best DAT study materials (Cliffs AP Bio, Destroyer, KBB, CDP, Chad's videos, etc)- there is plenty of useful advice and you have more than enough time to get through it all and do well if you keep up a dedicated study schedule.

Average for many of the schools that you will likely apply to: GPA:3.6 19 DAT
You have 3.77 18 DAT...that's not too shabby. I would retake. But if you have everything else going for you AND you apply early, I would think that you will have a really decent chance.

Apply early
apply to several schools (Louisville, NYU, TUFTS, Buffalo, etc)
Get your ECs/LORs/etc together

I mean, your dat isn't horrible. Just a little below where it should be.

I would absolutely retake!!! I applied with a 3.95 cGPA and a 4.0 sGPA, but 17AA on the DAT and I only got 2 interviews and was put on the wait list at both of the schools. You should invest in the ADEA book. Some schools only look at the most recent DAT. Others look at the highest score. I do not believe any of the schools average your scores, but I am not 100% off the top of my head.

I regret not retaking last year and you don't want to be in my position next year wishing you had!!!

I would absolutely retake!!! I applied with a 3.95 cGPA and a 4.0 sGPA, but 17AA on the DAT and I only got 2 interviews and was put on the wait list at both of the schools. You should invest in the ADEA book. Some schools only look at the most recent DAT. Others look at the highest score. I do not believe any of the schools average your scores, but I am not 100% off the top of my head.

I regret not retaking last year and you don't want to be in my position next year wishing you had!!!

I second this. The ADEA book is a good resource to check up on average scores for different schools and their policies. I would retake because of the low PAT score. Considering your scores on the science section those could use a little pumping up too, imo.

ONE 16 might be OK (as with my DAT in the QR section), but I just can't imagine three flying. PAT and RC are important sections to a lot of schools. Anything below a 19 or 20 in either of these sections is putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.

That totally blows.

But I guess I'll pencil in a retake in early August or something. That's okay right?

Meanwhile I'm going to write my personal statement and my resume (for letter writers). Grab a Destroyer and Achiever (since I've done all the TopScore tests) and practice with CDP (5 tests left). I already have Cliff's AP Bio, Kaplan Review, and a few other books. Good plan?

Not going to lie though...In the past, I haven't done very well with standardized tests. Not sure how much I'll improve on the retake, even with all the practice in the world. That's just how I feel about it. But I'll keep working hard and maintain a positive attitude throughout and do my personal best. Crazy how some people (from my school) I know slacked in some classes (~2.9-3.2 GPA) were able to pull 90th percentile scores on the DAT without really studying. I don't know how they do it!! Is it by luck or chance?

Last edited:

WHOA!

how many schools did you apply to? which schools did you interview at?

You really need to get all section at 18+... maybe ONE 17 is ok, but any more than that is questionable...

Say if I got lower scores in the natural science sections and higher scores on PAT, QR, and RC....how would schools compute my DAT score? The one with the highest TS/AA or take the highest score from each section? That's what I'm confused about.

Off the top...Which schools would give me an interview? Also, which schools just look at the DAT Academic Average score?

It takes adcoms months of agonizing whom to interview but you believe that your SDN colleagues can predict in no time flat? Your DAT scores are out of sync with your gpa which might make one wonder if it is a question of some serious grade inflation.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527651

It takes adcoms months of agonizing whom to interview but you believe that your SDN colleagues can predict in no time flat? Your DAT scores are out of sync with your gpa which might make one wonder if it is a question of some serious grade inflation.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527651

Fair enough. But would grade inflation apply to me or my school? I can say, from personal experience, that I never had it easy here. I'm just a bad standardized test taker!! simple as that lol.

I'm totally convinced that I need to retake though.

I definitely would suggest you retake your DAT. The low RC and PAT will hurt you.

What was your strategy on RC? Did you feel like it was hard? Try the search and destroy method (if you arent already)

I didn't really have a strong PAT (18) and AA 20 with Bio 18 but my GPA is 3.7

I think the 18 Bio and 18 PAT hurt my interview prospects because although I submitted my application in July & took my DAT in Mid Aug--- all my interviews were Post Dec 1.

I definitely would suggest you retake your DAT. The low RC and PAT will hurt you.

What was your strategy on RC? Did you feel like it was hard? Try the search and destroy method (if you arent already)

I didn't really have a strong PAT (18) and AA 20 with Bio 18 but my GPA is 3.7

I think the 18 Bio and 18 PAT hurt my interview prospects because although I submitted my application in July & took my DAT in Mid Aug--- all my interviews were Post Dec 1.

Yeah, I tried S&D. It helped for about 2 passages, but when I encountered the infamous "Piano," I had to change up my strategy a little bit...I ran out of time on that because the questions were soooo off the wall (and I know absolutely NOTHING about pianos and music)...I guessed on about 5 or 6 questions in that passage and marked C for the remaining 7 left (because of time). I think if I had a different passage, I would've gotten something in the neighborhood of 18 or 19 in RC. I felt very confident about my answer choices on other passages though.

Honestly, I don't know what happened on PAT (I felt like I got an 18 or 19 on the real thing)...the tests didn't look that much different than CDP...I guess more practice should help...

Have you received any acceptances so far?

And QR..well...I need more practice on timing and strategy.

I was told during my interviews that my GPA is very good but my DAT is acceptable but doesn't make my application stand out. Also having only 50 hrs for shadowing is just okay.
They advise me to try to retake the DAT and do more shadowing if I don't get in this cycle. But fortunately, I got into one. So if you can, I would try to retake it.

3.92 overall gpa, 4.0 sci gpa and 4.0 graduate gpa
20 Bio
20 Chem
20 Ochem
20 TS
23 PAT
21 RC
19 QR
20 AA

DAT average score is keep getting higher!

umm yeah...those scores don't look that bad. i thought 19 was mediocre?

but i would think that with everything else being above average that they'll let you slide in with a lower/mediocre DAT score...c'mon now, it's just a 5 hour test...the GPA and EC's took years of hard work. lol i guess they don't give people breaks anymore. it's whatever. im expecting higher scores next time around. i know my weaknesses and that's what im going to address first.

congrats on your acceptance though.