What are my chances (thank you in advance!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zastrownaut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been stalking the forums for a year now, and need your guys' advice!

I am 4th year neuroscience major with a 3.07 oGPA, and 2.92 sGPA. I have 17 more quarter units left, and I calculated if i can get atleast a 3.5 from here on out, I can raise my sGPA to above 3.0.

DAT: 22AA, 23 TS, 19 PAT

Extracurriculars:
1. President of pre dental club (Fundraiser chair 3rd year)
Traveled to Nicaragua, Honduras and Mexico to provide free dental care and oral hygiene education to locals in Spanish
2. Volunteer and shadow at a free clinic that also provides free dental fairs.
3. Work at a recruiting and staffing firm as a recruiter during summers.

Shadow Hours (~160 hours)
90 hours for dentists, 40 for orthodontists, 10 oral surgeon, 10 endodontist, 10 hygienist)
Volunteer Hours: (~300 hours)

I plan to apply by the end of June. Will applying early help my chances? Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you apply any sooner? what's your ethnicity if I may ask...

I think if you can apply sooner that'd be better due to your 3.0gpa, but the DAT looks pretty good with a 22 and someone reasonable resume...

you should probably apply to as many as schools as you can..
im guessing around 20 if ur at a 3.0

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you apply any sooner? what's your ethnicity if I may ask...

I think if you can apply sooner that'd be better due to your 3.0gpa, but the DAT looks pretty good with a 22 and someone reasonable resume...

I'm vietnamese, and grades post for us around the middle of June. I thought anytime in June was still considered early?

I'm vietnamese, and grades post for us around the middle of June. I thought anytime in June was still considered early?

Yeah, but if you could turn it all in the FIRST week, you have a good fighting chance. One of the best things I'd do is borrow and buy the ADSAAS book that they come out with every where that gives you all the details about every dental school and their acceptance rates and etc. and find the ones where the GPA is low. Start there with what schools to apply too. Also I'd apply to Roseman and other private schools. I know Roseman does interviews by DAT score level. So they grab all their applicants and start ranking them from highest to lowest dat scores and then start sending interviews. With that DAT score, you should atleast get an interview there. Cheers.

I would guess like 30% chance at mediocre schools and very low to no chance at good schools. You have 10 hours with hygienists? If you observed them occasionally while in a dental clinic, you shouldn't count those.

Yeah, but if you could turn it all in the FIRST week, you have a good fighting chance. One of the best things I'd do is borrow and buy the ADSAAS book that they come out with every where that gives you all the details about every dental school and their acceptance rates and etc. and find the ones where the GPA is low. Start there with what schools to apply too. Also I'd apply to Roseman and other private schools. I know Roseman does interviews by DAT score level. So they grab all their applicants and start ranking them from highest to lowest dat scores and then start sending interviews. With that DAT score, you should atleast get an interview there. Cheers.
Thanks man, this was really helpful. My pre-health advisor told me to get the ADSAAS book as well. Any other DAT focused schools at the top of your head?

Thanks man, this was really helpful. My pre-health advisor told me to get the ADSAAS book as well. Any other DAT focused schools at the top of your head?
I think your DAT is slightly above or above average already. If it was me, I wouldn't retake the DAT but to improve the GPAs and/or more shadowing hours. Get more volunteering too if you can because schools like ASDOH likes that.

You can get in with your GPA and DAT but make sure you apply to at least 15 schools. Look in the ADEA book to see which OOS schools to apply to.