What are my chances? Thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmegill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying MD
B.S. in Nutrition and Food Science at UVM
3.7 GPA
29Q MCAT
140 hrs volunteering at boys and girls club
50+ hrs of shadowing
part time job in nutrition at hospital for over a year
one summer of EMT volunteering on an ambulance
very good LOR
4.0 GPA my last 2 semesters, graduated a semester early taking 18 or 19 credits each semester (paid for the extra credits)
TA for a semester
For my semester/year off I am doing research in surgery and nutrition in New Zealand

Thanks for any help
- Rob

Members don't see this ad.

Applying MD
3.7 GPA
29Q MCAT
50+ hrs of shadowing
very good LOR
4.0 GPA my last 2 semesters, graduated a semester early taking 18 or 19 credits each semester (paid for the extra credits)
TA for a semester
For my semester/year off I am doing research in surgery and nutrition in New Zealand

Thanks for any help
- Rob

Your GPA is great. Your MCAT is fine as well for low tier/mid tier schools, but not good enough for top tier schools. Good ECs as well. you're a pretty well rounded applicant so I'd say your chances are good as long as you apply to many low tier schools.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the new zealand research position? I'm applying in May and will be taking a gap year, and would love to do something like that. let me know please, thanks.

I composed a long, well written, professional email saying that I just graduated and looking for research experience. Then I sent it to about 40 professors, faculty, and doctors. About 9 replied, and 3 of them offered me a position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I composed a long, well written, professional email saying that I just graduated and looking for research experience. Then I sent it to about 40 professors, faculty, and doctors. About 9 replied, and 3 of them offered me a position.

Awesome. thanks bro, and congrats!

Wherever you want to go, just look up faculty in the med school / university in the city you are interested. Find faculty in areas you are interested, and send them an email. Several might just ignore it, but they also may respond and be happy to help

Applying MD
3.7 GPA
29Q MCAT
50+ hrs of shadowing
very good LOR
TA for a semester

Thanks for any help
- Rob
Chances of success for All Applicants with your stats has historically been 58% for MD schools. Your chance is likely to be lower due to the surge in med school applications that we are seeing because of the challenging job market for recent grads. Be sure that lots of the schools on your list are a match for your stats. Dream schools are fine, but shouldn't dominate and can afford the extra fees.

Did you interact with patients while employed at the hospital?

Have you considered retaking the MCAT to boost your odds, or are you convinced that a 29 is your peak?

Besides the research, you might consider additional nonmedical community service while in new Zealand (unless your active clinical experience is weak, in which case I'd fix that). It's not that what you have isn't a goodly amount, but if you want pertinent activities to mention besides the research that might help sway adcomms in update letters, for Secondary essays, and for interview conversations. If worse comes to worst and you have to reapply, you want your application to be clearly stronger on the second go round.