What are my chances" thread for January 2007 MCATers ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are lost on what to do about your score and would like a "situational analysis", please post in this thread and those who are willing to advise will do so in this thread.

If you start your own thread it will be merged in with this compilation thread. So you mine as well save our time and just post here ;)

PLEASE ONLY POST IN THIS THREAD AFTER SCORES HAVE BEEN RELEASED! All other posts will be deleted.

Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait...you mean no one's posted here yet?

Guess I'll be the first then...

MCAT 34R (11/11/12)
GPA 2.93 (will go up some when I factor in my grades from paramedic school)

Nearly seven years of EMS experience including three as a paramedic on an ambulance.

I think I've got a pretty good chance, what do you all think?

Nate.

great MCAT, almost the same gpa as me but i havent applied yet. Apply early and good luck sir!

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA 3.67 going up
science GPA 3.92 (science double major)

Not great on the MCAT 28K (10V, 10B, 8P).

I only studied for a month, and could retake in August, (my honest guess is that I could bring it up to 32-34Q if I spent the summer studying) but then would miss out on volunteering in South Africa this summer. I don't know what to say about the WS, I really didn't think that was possible for me, (or anyone who could write a complete sentence:laugh: ).

I should be shadowing a DO soon, just waiting to hear back out availability. I have shadowed MDs a few times. Volunteered in ED ~40hrs, volunteer Red Cross (CPR/first aid), volunteer Habitat for Humanity, 3 years research on thrombocytopenia, optician 1 year, secretary pre-med group... other things that I don't feel like boring you with.

GPA 3.67 going up
science GPA 3.92 (science double major)

Not great on the MCAT 28K (10V, 10B, 8P).

I only studied for a month, and could retake in August, (my honest guess is that I could bring it up to 32-34Q if I spent the summer studying) but then would miss out on volunteering in South Africa this summer. I don't know what to say about the WS, I really didn't think that was possible for me, (or anyone who could write a complete sentence:laugh: ).

I should be shadowing a DO soon, just waiting to hear back out availability. I have shadowed MDs a few times. Volunteered in ED ~40hrs, volunteer Red Cross (CPR/first aid), volunteer Habitat for Humanity, 3 years research on thrombocytopenia, optician 1 year, secretary pre-med group... other things that I don't feel like boring you with.

personally i would find my top 3 choice DO schools and call about the writing sample score. some schools do screen on that but I'm not sure how strict the screens are. There are DO schools that don't look at writing sample scores and you should be a good candidate at those schools based on MCAT/GPA and ECs. If you are shooting for MD schools also then I would consider retaking but that is a question for the pre-allo forum since people do get into allo schools with your stats.

don't make jokes about your K on the interview trail. ;)

I got a 29S.... I have a 3.23 GPA (kinda low)... lots of EC volunteering/shadowing... currently doing research at OSU COM... working as a nursing assistant and just had job interview of ICU Cross Trained Tech.... My top goal is Western COMP (avg, MCAT 27 and GPA 3.5)... any thoughts? should I retake???

IMO you should be good if you apply early. Your stats kinda balance themselves (MCAT above avg., GPA below) and with the extra curricular you should be very competitive. I would be content with the MCAT score 29S. If you want to be absolutely sure you'd need to either retake some courses that are bringing down your GPA or take an extra year and do really well. However, taking into account the time and money, you would really have to consider the difference taking courses could make (i.e. 3.23 to 3.3 or 3.45?). Personally, I would just continue with what you're doing and apply unless you feel you have the time and commitment to make a difference in your GPA.

Good luck.

IMO you should be good if you apply early. Your stats kinda balance themselves (MCAT above avg., GPA below) and with the extra curricular you should be very competitive. I would be content with the MCAT score 29S. If you want to be absolutely sure you'd need to either retake some courses that are bringing down your GPA or take an extra year and do really well. However, taking into account the time and money, you would really have to consider the difference taking courses could make (i.e. 3.23 to 3.3 or 3.45?). Personally, I would just continue with what you're doing and apply unless you feel you have the time and commitment to make a difference in your GPA.

Good luck.

Thanks!!

Hi just a quick question on your thoughts

I got a V7 Bs10 Ps11 on Mcat

is this good enough to get into School such as western or touro in SF

or should I retake the MCAT

Also I sent a secondary for Western 2.5 weeks ago and didnt have a reply..does this mean im not getting an interview...any ideas?

Thanks

Bottom line. Your score is definitly good enough to apply and possibly get interviewed. However acceptances depend upon EC's and GPA as well. So how acceptance worthy you are depends upon your other areas. But I personally feel that your MCAT is good enough. ( assuming your GPA is > 3.2

Score is OK but its very, very late in the application cycle.

29 is good to go with all DO schools, good job! It really depends on whether you want to be a DO, MD, and which schools you want to go. 29 is definitely good enough for pretty much all DO schools, provided that your GPA is above 3.0. Start researching which schools you'd like to attend and give yourself a better idea where you stand number wise.

Score is OK but its very, very late in the application cycle.

WOW! Yea, it is REALLY late. As everyone else said, if you GPA and ECs are good, you have a great chance at getting into a DO school, but I think you may be too late for this year. Sorry. :oops: You could always try for Touro-NY since they are interviewing later than the other schools. Good luck!:luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
A good friend of mine has an interview at LECOM this friday. This person applied very late (and just heard about the interview recently). His MCAT was a 24 I believe. I am keeping my fingers crossed for him:luck: :luck: Point, he applied really late so you never know and his MCAT is lower than yours. good luck.

I took the MCAT in August and am trying to decide whether I should take it again. I'm applying for 2008. I got a 26P on my MCAT and have like a 3.3 average GPA (3.4 for science classes). Has anyone talked directly to the admissions offices about this question? I plan on giving some of the schools a call but wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation. Thanks!

i want to become a D.O. and TCOM is my number one choice and i know my scores are low, but thats just cause i got my act together rather late. but my GPA is a 3.2 (hopefully after this semester around a 3.35) and my mcat was a 27Q. Im gonna retake the mcat this july as I apply, and am shooting for around a 33-34.

My EC:
Pres. of a pre-osteopathic club
health councils
lots of volunteering
volunteer at the state osteopathic association
etc...

Ive just realized that I want to become a doctor so my grades have taken a turn for the better, and by the time I graduate Im hoping for around a 3.4-3.5 gpa.

i want to become a D.O. and TCOM is my number one choice and i know my scores are low, but thats just cause i got my act together rather late. but my GPA is a 3.2 (hopefully after this semester around a 3.35) and my mcat was a 27Q. Im gonna retake the mcat this july as I apply, and am shooting for around a 33-34.

My EC:
Pres. of a pre-osteopathic club
health councils
lots of volunteering
volunteer at the state osteopathic association
etc...

Ive just realized that I want to become a doctor so my grades have taken a turn for the better, and by the time I graduate Im hoping for around a 3.4-3.5 gpa.

You just realized you wanted to be a doctor and managed to become the pres of a pre-health club? Wow - you move fast!!!!

I think your stats are on par, make sure you compliment your ECs with clinical experience that shows your compasion. Also, do not mention the recently decided to become a doctor as a reason for the low grades early in college - just focus on the positives (the recent trends of improving grades).

Good luck!

I was just looking for some feedback on what my chances are of getting in to DMU or for that matter any DO school. I am finishing up my undergrad degree in biology right now. Stats: 3.43 GPA and a 26 O MCAT (8P/8VR/10B). My ECs are: ER volunteer, Day Camp Volunteer at Salvation Army, Student Senate, Tri-Beta biological honor society, Secratery of Sigma Zeta math and science honor society, Pre-med club, varsity baseball, shadowed an MD ear, nose, and throat surgeon, and I have worked at a group home for the last 6 months. I also have research experience under faculty supervision and am in the process of finishing the research paper and presenting the results to my peers and faculty. I know my numbers are not amazing, but I feel that I have a good deal of exposure to the medical community. Let me know what you guys think.

I was just looking for some feedback on what my chances are of getting in to DMU or for that matter any DO school. I am finishing up my undergrad degree in biology right now. Stats: 3.43 GPA and a 26 O MCAT (8P/8VR/10B). My ECs are: ER volunteer, Day Camp Volunteer at Salvation Army, Student Senate, Tri-Beta biological honor society, Secratery of Sigma Zeta math and science honor society, Pre-med club, varsity baseball, shadowed an MD ear, nose, and throat surgeon, and I have worked at a group home for the last 6 months. I also have research experience under faculty supervision and am in the process of finishing the research paper and presenting the results to my peers and faculty. I know my numbers are not amazing, but I feel that I have a good deal of exposure to the medical community. Let me know what you guys think.

You have some great ECs, I think with a well written statement and good interviews you will get in. :thumbup:

Also, do not mention the recently decided to become a doctor as a reason for the low grades early in college - just focus on the positives (the recent trends of improving grades).

could you elaborate on that, I mean i realize dont say I was not motivated in school because i had no conviction, but would it be ok to say the conviction is what has helped with the higher grades?

seems obvious, but thought id ask cause im starting to think about my personal statement and I dont really know in what light to explain the new found good grades.

Also, do not mention the recently decided to become a doctor as a reason for the low grades early in college - just focus on the positives (the recent trends of improving grades).

could you elaborate on that, I mean i realize dont say I was not motivated in school because i had no conviction, but would it be ok to say the conviction is what has helped with the higher grades?

seems obvious, but thought id ask cause im starting to think about my personal statement and I dont really know in what light to explain the new found good grades.

The interview and personal statement are the only windows that the adcom has into your personality. Your decision to enter medicine should be well thought out and informed. If you were to say that you recently decided to go pre-med and that your gpa reflects that, the interviewers/adcoms may raise an eyebrow and say "Soo.... Coolcats only tries his hardest when it is necessary?" and question your dedication. I know this because it happened to me.

I had a similar gpa trend (3.0-3.2 for years 1-2 with 5 withdrawls, 3.8+ for years 3-4 with no withdrawls). An interviewer at one of the schools commented to me that my junior/senior GPA and MCAT score showed that I had the intelligence to succeed in medical school but that my poor gpa and W's early on show questionable dedication. I responded by saying that I am very serious about medicine, and that I did a lot of growing up while in college and that is what my GPA reflects. It worked out for me and I was accepted, but I cannot help but think the same thought process kept me from receiving a few more interviews.

My point is this: It may hurt you, it may not - but why even take the risk? Explain away your gpa with something else. This whole process is basically a job interview, you should maximize your positive qualities and minimize your negatives.

The interview and personal statement are the only windows that the adcom has into your personality. Your decision to enter medicine should be well thought out and informed. If you were to say that you recently decided to go pre-med and that your gpa reflects that, the interviewers/adcoms may raise an eyebrow and say "Soo.... Coolcats only tries his hardest when it is necessary?" and question your dedication. I know this because it happened to me.

I had a similar gpa trend (3.0-3.2 for years 1-2 with 5 withdrawls, 3.8+ for years 3-4 with no withdrawls). An interviewer at one of the schools commented to me that my junior/senior GPA and MCAT score showed that I had the intelligence to succeed in medical school but that my poor gpa and W's early on show questionable dedication. I responded by saying that I am very serious about medicine, and that I did a lot of growing up while in college and that is what my GPA reflects. It worked out for me and I was accepted, but I cannot help but think the same thought process kept me from receiving a few more interviews.

My point is this: It may hurt you, it may not - but why even take the risk? Explain away your gpa with something else. This whole process is basically a job interview, you should maximize your positive qualities and minimize your negatives.

I agree. If you want to address your weakness in your first couple of years, you have to do it without an excuse (I didn't know I wanted to practice medicine is unfortunately an excuse), and make sure to state what you've learned... how you've grown into a better student.

You could say that you realized after your second year that you weren't doing something right, that you had to refocus your approach at studying and exams, and that it was going to take more effort and dedication to achieve your goal of practicing medicine. Mention whatever strategic change it is that you do now that makes you perform better in school.

If you don't mind me offering it, my advice - if you're not already doing so - as you finish your undergraduate is to focus on lecture notes and put your textbook aside as often as possible (unless the professors openly stress a high % of questions will be from required readings). This one change in my study habits increased my marks substantially.

Keep working away and you'll be in good shape. :thumbup:

Good luck.

thanks guys

ya ive sadly figured that out seemingly the hard way. I have always been the idealistic student who likes to know everything before walking into the test, so I would read the book and take notes over all the reading etc etc.... and sadly thats not the way to play the game. ive been the top of my classes ever since I started studying only the notes.

thanks again guys