What are my chances to get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovechemistry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have taken the MCAT twice and have received a 25. The first time I got (10PS, 6 VR, 9 BS, M) and the second time I got (8 PS, 6 VR, 11 BS, Q). I am a biology and chemistry major and have a 3.4 gpa. I have taken lots of advanced coursework and a few graduate level courses in biochemistry and biology. I have about 80 hours of doctor shadowing in family medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, otolaryngology, cardiology, general surgery, neurosurgery, and anatomical pathology. I worked at Kroger Pharmacy for a year. I have volunteered at a free health care facility for a year and gave a speech to women about breastfeeding and kangaroo care at a health care fair. I just started volunteering in the emergency room at a children's hospital. I also have volunteered at a dance marathon to raise money for a children's hospital, participated in St. Baldricks to raise money for children's cancer research, helped get food items for a charity that gives them to homeless people, and a few others I cant think of off the top of my head. I also have a semester of organic synthesis research with a prestigious professor in the field. I am also extremely disadvantaged with a poor family, rural town, and abusive family growing up. It is my goal to work in a rural under-served area when I am a physician. I have received interviews from the following schools: Indiana School of Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine, and Lincoln Memorial University-Debusk College of Osteopathic medicine. I believe I might get interviews also from the following colleges: Marshall University, Washington State University, Illinois School of Medicine, Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine, and NOVA. I recently interviewed at UK and was rejected today because of my low mcat score and not enough medical exposure lol.

Thanks for any opinions!
With that many interviews, and more potential interviews to come, unless you are terrible at interviewing, your chances of an acceptance are high.

Wow, I'm very jealous of you. I have no interview invites but a bucket full of rejected tickets to medical schools.

However, I think if you can kill your interviews, then I think you'll be fine. If you get an interview, it means you make the minimum requirement to be accepted. So, don't stress and prepare for your interviews. Other than that, I'll pray for you and I hope you get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have taken the MCAT twice and have received a 25. The first time I got (10PS, 6 VR, 9 BS, M) and the second time I got (8 PS, 6 VR, 11 BS, Q). I am a biology and chemistry major and have a 3.4 gpa. I have taken lots of advanced coursework and a few graduate level courses in biochemistry and biology. I have about 80 hours of doctor shadowing in family medicine, pediatrics, psychiatry, otolaryngology, cardiology, general surgery, neurosurgery, and anatomical pathology. I worked at Kroger Pharmacy for a year. I have volunteered at a free health care facility for a year and gave a speech to women about breastfeeding and kangaroo care at a health care fair. I just started volunteering in the emergency room at a children's hospital. I also have volunteered at a dance marathon to raise money for a children's hospital, participated in St. Baldricks to raise money for children's cancer research, helped get food items for a charity that gives them to homeless people, and a few others I cant think of off the top of my head. I also have a semester of organic synthesis research with a prestigious professor in the field. I am also extremely disadvantaged with a poor family, rural town, and abusive family growing up. It is my goal to work in a rural under-served area when I am a physician. I have received interviews from the following schools: Indiana School of Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine, and Lincoln Memorial University-Debusk College of Osteopathic medicine. I believe I might get interviews also from the following colleges: Marshall University, Washington State University, Illinois School of Medicine, Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine, and NOVA. I recently interviewed at UK and was rejected today because of my low mcat score and not enough medical exposure lol.

Thanks for any opinions!

I hope I can say this one day!
I really think you have a good chance at acceptance! Good luck on your interviews!

I got into the LMU-DCOM, a DO school. What do you think my chances are of getting into the MD programs?

I got into the LMU-DCOM, a DO school. What do you think my chances are of getting into the MD programs?

Congratulations on your DO acceptance!
I hope you can get into a MD program but unfortunately with a 6 on the VR you might have to retake the MCAT especially since in your most recent score 2 of your 3 MCAT sections are pretty low (PS and VR). I think you have a good shot at getting accepted to other DO programs though. I hope you get into a MD school, best of luck :thumbup:

Honestly, I'm surprised that you even got the interviews at the MD schools. The rejections should be a sign that that road will be a difficult one.

I think your numbers are fine for any DO school. Good luck!

I got into Indiana University School of Medicine. I hope this gives hope to those with stats and situation like the one I was in. To get into this medical school out of state...I am absolutely shocked and thrilled!!! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
I got into Indiana University School of Medicine. I hope this gives hope to those with stats and situation like the one I was in. To get into this medical school out of state...I am absolutely shocked and thrilled!!! Good luck to everyone!

1000 congrats!!!

Are you an URM?

Dude. I just looked at your stats too.

Wow. :thumbup:

I also got into the University of Louisville School of Medicine today! :) People in my situation...there is hope!

To tell the truth,if you're not a URM, I'm really surprised you're getting interviews at those allo schools with your numbers.

You should be fine for any DO school.

Hello,

Thanks for any opinions!