What are my chances & What steps should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAOrtho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i'm trying figure out what steps I should take to apply to medical school and if I'm fighting an uphill battle here:

I'm 31 years old(32 in Nov of 2016). I was an Ortho PA from 2007-2012, approximately 5 years working in 4 hospitals in clinic, on-call and first-assist settings.

Graduated with an undergrad GPA of 3.73 with a B.S. in Physician Assistant Studies. sGPA - around 3.8

From 2009-2011 I obtained an M.S in computer science, 3.3 GPA, with a few withdrawals on my transcript.
Been working for startups/agencies as a mobile/web developer since mid-2012. I have a lot of work to show for it and have started two software companies which I now run out of a home office.

From my undergrad pre-reqs, i'm missing Physics 2, Orgo 2, and Bio 1 and 2 Labs. Took the MCAT in 2010 and got a 28 - 9 verbal, 8 bio, 11 physical sciences without studying much and without those pre-reqs. Can't believe it's been that long.

I would like to spend the rest of my life as a Physician, since the computer science thing panned out really well and I no longer have to worry about loans. I'd like to take the new MCAT again without these pre-reqs now that I have time to study.

What's the latest that I take the MCAT so that I can start in 2017? I was thinking May of 2016, then finish the pre-reqs at a local college in Fall 2016 - AFTER applying to medical school for the 2016-2017 cycle. I'm pretty confident in doing well on the MCAT and applying without these pre-reqs, but just want to know if this is a good idea and I'm not doing anything that will jeopardize my acceptance for 2017. Am I totally crazy to think I have a shot at at starting in 2017 or at all? Also, I don't see D.O. as an option for various reasons, so allopathic or not at all.

Right now I'm using Khan Academy to get an overview of the material, then i'm going to dive in head first for a few months with the new Kaplan and EK books, first reading, then a couple months of just doing practice questions and tests.

Thank you in advance for any input and advice!

-R

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
June 2016, maybe July.

You're aware that many schools still require you to have the pre-reqs, right? Invest in MSAR Online to find out who does, and who doesn't.

I am a bit leery of someone taking the MCAT merely by self-study. This is a career-deciding, high stakes exam after all, and people who make poor choices tend to be punished by Adcoms.

What's the latest that I take the MCAT so that I can start in 2017? I was thinking May of 2016, then finish the pre-reqs at a local college in Fall 2016 - AFTER applying to medical school for the 2016-2017 cycle. I'm pretty confident in doing well on the MCAT and applying without these pre-reqs, but just want to know if this is a good idea and I'm not doing anything that will jeopardize my acceptance for 2017. Am I totally crazy to think I have a shot at at starting in 2017 or at all? Also, I don't see D.O. as an option for various reasons, so allopathic or not at all.

Right now I'm using Khan Academy to get an overview of the material, then i'm going to dive in head first for a few months with the new Kaplan and EK books, first reading, then a couple months of just doing practice questions and tests.

Thank you in advance for any input and advice!

-R

echo @Goro's point on MCAT, especially given you already have a 28 on record. Schools will see that score even though it is expired. You'd probably need at least a 31 equivalent given it is a re-take. The new test is heavy on biochem, and it is not clear that you have taken that as part of the pre-req.

In term of dates, if you take the MCAT by Apr/May, you can get your score back by June and have your AMCAS verified and submitted early. Personally I would not take MCAT later than June. Assuming everything goes well (and that is a big assume), it is possible that you start in 2017.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro @BluMist

I see, I really thought I could swing it since I have a lot of time, but if not then I'd have to take those classes in the spring 2016 and take the MCAT in late May/June.

Only about 8-10 credits including labs. I'll take your advice and do this, but it will decrease MCAT study time to take in Late May/June. It will be good for recommendations however.

So lets say I take these classes from Jan 20th to May, that leaves a month give or take for pure MCAT study to take in June or late May. So I'd be studying a lot while taking these classes. Probably makes a lot of sense.

Any other advice on how to study or proceed with the application given my non-trad status.

@Goro if the MCAT score is high enough will it still be considered a poor choice by Adcoms of not taking Prereqs? Or just depends on the schools/MSAR info? Just curious. You've already swayed me into taking it. Need to do this right the second time around.

Thank you - R

Oh and yes @BluMist I did take Biochem in 2004 and received an A. PA programs don't require Physics and Orgo 2, or bio labs, besides that they have all the other pre-reqs. But I took Physics 1 after graduating.

@Goro @BluMist

I see, I really thought I could swing it since I have a lot of time, but if not then I'd have to take those classes in the spring 2016 and take the MCAT in late May/June.

Only about 8-10 credits including labs. I'll take your advice and do this, but it will decrease MCAT study time to take in Late May/June. It will be good for recommendations however.

So lets say I take these classes from Jan 20th to May, that leaves a month give or take for pure MCAT study to take in June or late May. So I'd be studying a lot while taking these classes. Probably makes a lot of sense.

Any other advice on how to study or proceed with the application given my non-trad status.

@Goro if the MCAT score is high enough will it still be considered a poor choice by Adcoms of not taking Prereqs? Or just depends on the schools/MSAR info? Just curious. You've already swayed me into taking it. Need to do this right the second time around.

Thank you - R

For most schools in the US, these prereqs were required and not just recommended (according to the MSAR from 2 yrs ago). I highly doubt they changed the requirements since then to reduce the required prereqs. If anything, schools probably added social sciences as requirements now that they have been added to the mcat.