What are my chances with 5 "Ds" on my transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Posted a similar thread in the non-traditional forum, but I'm not sure which is the best place to post, so I'm gonna post an abbreviated version here too.

I will be 24 years old next month, and graduated with a 3.8 GPA in a BA program in Economics and International Relations including A’s in statistics and econometrics. Took absolutely no science courses in college, so I’d need to do a postbac program.

Major problem is, even though I graduated with a 3.8 (84 credit hours) (, I transferred from another 4 year university where I had a 2.7 (60 credit hours) including five “D” grades (computer science, calculus, accounting, business, and one other class). Am I totally screwed for medical school, even if I get a 3.8-4.0 in a postbac program and do decently well on the MCAT?

If it helps, I’m a Texas resident, which opens up 8 out of state shielded medical schools to me, but again I worry about my D’s from when I was a freshman/sophomore. I'm also a first generation American and first in my family to attend college (race: white non-hispanic).

Say I got a good science GPA in a postbac- if I applied to all 8 Texas schools, another holistic 8 out of state schools, and another 8 D.O. schools, would I stand a decent shot at getting into 1-2 of them?

P.S. I'm only considering American schools at this point.

Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Posted a similar thread in the non-traditional forum, but I'm not sure which is the best place to post, so I'm gonna post an abbreviated version here too.

I will be 24 years old next month, and graduated with a 3.8 GPA in a BA program in Economics and International Relations including A’s in statistics and econometrics. Took absolutely no science courses in college, so I’d need to do a postbac program.

Major problem is, even though I graduated with a 3.8 (84 credit hours) (, I transferred from another 4 year university where I had a 2.7 (60 credit hours) including five “D” grades (computer science, calculus, accounting, business, and one other class). Am I totally screwed for medical school, even if I get a 3.8-4.0 in a postbac program and do decently well on the MCAT?

If it helps, I’m a Texas resident, which opens up 8 out of state shielded medical schools to me, but again I worry about my D’s from when I was a freshman/sophomore. I'm also a first generation American and first in my family to attend college (race: white non-hispanic).

Say I got a good science GPA in a postbac- if I applied to all 8 Texas schools, another holistic 8 out of state schools, and another 8 D.O. schools, would I stand a decent shot at getting into 1-2 of them?

P.S. I'm only considering American schools at this point.

Thanks for the feedback!
Did you retake the D grades to take advantage of AACOMAS grade forgiveness (unfortunately, not applicable to TMDSAS schools)? If so, the Ds will not be included in your application GPAs for those DO med schools, giving you a decent chance for consideration at them. If you do well on your postbac and get a strong MCAT score to prove you "got it," an MD acceptance is not impossible. Of course all these opinions assume appropriate ECs, supportive LORs, clean legal record, and good interview skills to gain an acceptance.

@DokterMom for a perspective specific to Texas schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't done the math, but I don't see how your 84-credit 3.8 GPA could include the 60-credit 2.7 GPA time span. It doesn't, right? Doing a simple weighted average that combines the two, that would put you at about a 3.34, right? The TMDSAS acceptance rate for In-State applicants with a GPA of 3.31 - 3.4 was 21.4% , so not so hot. I'm not sure how TMDSAS handles post-bac classes that are not part of a designated MS or SMP program, but if they include those into your under-grad GPA and you can pull it up over 3.5 your changes increase pretty dramatically. AACOMAS grade-replacement sounds like a great idea or you, since your D's could disappear -- though it would be by taking classes you otherwise wouldn't be able to use for anything...

The other remedy for a bad start is a demonstrated track record of consistently high results sustained over time. You're 24 now. How long ago were those lousy results? Everyone was 'young and stupid' once, and if your poor performance was already 3-4 years past be the time you apply, with a huge preponderance of good stuff since then, then you'll just have to get by the auto-screen with a good MCAT and compelling statement.

I'd suggest reading the entire TMDSAS web site for information about how they factor in post-bac work. Worst case, there's always the 'academic fresh start' program, but if I'm not mistaken, that requires a TEN year wait for old stuff to disappear, which is a long time to wait.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful.

I decided to check my 1st and 2nd school transcripts to get the exact grades, and the situation is a little better than I thought.

Here it is:

Total:
School 1 credits attempted: 57
School 2 credits attempted: 75

A's: 28
B's: 9
C's: 3 (one C includes Algebra and Trig I. Not sure if this counts towards science GPA?)
D: 5

D classes:

Algebra and Trig II: D (Then retook next semester and got a C)
Microeconomics: D (Then retook at next school and got A)
Accounting: D- Never Retook
Computer Science: D- Never Retook
Calculus I: D- Never Retook but Plan to Retake at Post-Bac.

So that being said, I'm guessing this at least boosts my chances more than I thought for a D.O. program and maybe an MD program?

Unless I'm mistaken, since 3 of those D's are replaced, to a D.O. committee, I really only have 2 Ds on my cumulative GPA (just accounting and comp sci, since I plan to re-take Calc in Postbac) and no D's or any bad grades yet on my science GPA.

What kind of MCAT score will I realistically need to have a shot at a D.O. or lower-tier MD?

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
Algebra and Trig II: D (Then retook next semester and got a C)
Microeconomics: D (Then retook at next school and got A)
Accounting: D- Never Retook
Computer Science: D- Never Retook
Calculus I: D- Never Retook but Plan to Retake at Post-Bac.

Unless I'm mistaken, since 3 of those D's are replaced, to a D.O. committee, I really only have 2 Ds on my cumulative GPA (just accounting and comp sci, since I plan to re-take Calc in Postbac) and no D's or any bad grades yet on my science GPA.
Yes, that's true, as DO schools don't include math in their science GPA.

Use this to figure your AACOMAS GPAs now and as you project them after the postbac:
DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

You could use the same calculator to get a ballpark figure for AMCAS GPAs by including all grades earned + projected postbac.

Thanks Catalystic.

Ok, so I ran the numbers, and assuming I made no mistakes:

Assumptions: 8 classes post-bacc (Calculus plus the sciences), Recieve ALL A's (possible I suppose)

AMCAS GPA:
Cumulative: 3.43
Science: 3.16 (C's and D's from freshman/soph year kill this figure)

AACOM GPA:
Cumulative : 3.53
Science: 4.0

TMDSAS (Texas): Even worse than AMCAS GPA due to "D" in Computer Science.

I hope my calculations were right. So it looks like I'm a decent chance at DO schools, and can pretty much forget MD schools with a 3.16 science gpa (still assuming I made all A's in my postbac, don't forget).

Thanks!!

Last edited:
What kind of MCAT score will I realistically need to have a shot at a D.O. or lower-tier MD?
Ok, so I ran the numbers, and assuming I made no mistakes:

Assumptions: 8 classes post-bacc (Calculus plus the sciences), Recieve ALL A's (possible I suppose)

AMCAS GPA:
Cumulative: 3.43
Science: 3.16 (C's and D's from freshman/soph year kill this figure)

AACOM GPA:
Cumulative : 3.53
Science: 4.0

TMDSAS (Texas): Even worse than AMCAS GPA due to "D" in Computer Science.

Are there are any holistic MD schools where I wouldn't get screened out with a 3.43/3.16 or should I just not bother and instead apply to every DO school?
If your assumptions prove to be true:

For DO, an MCAT of 26 might get you an acceptance to an established AACOMAS school. A slightly lower one might get you in the door of one of the newer ones.

For MD, I suggest applying (at a minimum) to those having an SMP, as they are friendly to late bloomers. As you cruise through this forum, you will likely pick up on the names of more schools that will consider the entire application, like Rosalind Franklin in Illinois (which also has an affiliated SMP). An MCAT score of 33+ would be a good goal. YMMV (your mileage may vary). Keep in mind that some MD schools will recommend/require Biochem and some upper-level Bio. Hopefully you already have the Behavioral Sciences needed for the new MCAT.

For TMDSAS schools, I have no idea how they will view you, but I intuit that a very-strong MCAT score would at least get you a more thorough review.