What are my chances with MCAT and GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishjj06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT scores back on July 21st and ended up with: PS: 9 VR: 8 BS 13, I have a 3.98 science GPA and a 3.91 overall GPA. I ended up with a 30Q. I have some descent activities including teaching Sunday school and some restoration projects as volunteer work. I have also done around 120 hours of shadowing both DO and MD. I have also been working on an in depth research project over the past year. I was just wondering how bad my VR: 8 and PS: 9 hurt me. Also, does my BS: 13 help me? I was also wondering if the spread of my scores hurt; ranging from an 8 to a 13... dont most schools like to see a nice even spread? I do not plan on retaking the MCATs before applying and was wondering what my chances are for this application cycle. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

you have a chance. i personally know someone who has a 3.8 and 29 mcat who got into 2/16 OOS schools applying late (august mcat). he went to an ivy league undergraduate school, but he was definitely not special or urm.

you just need to apply intelligently and broadly. and write LOI's when the time comes.

I wouldn't retake unless your score is directly attributable to something that happened that day (sick, power went out, etc.), which is probably not the case with a 13BS. As anxiousteen said, just apply intelligently. Check the 10th percentile for the MCAT subsection score for schools you're interested in...not just the mean composite score. In general, don't apply if you're below the 10th percentile.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my MCAT scores back on July 21st and ended up with: PS: 9 VR: 8 BS 13, I have a 3.98 science GPA and a 3.91 overall GPA. I ended up with a 30Q. I have some descent activities including teaching Sunday school and some restoration projects as volunteer work. I have also done around 120 hours of shadowing both DO and MD. I have also been working on an in depth research project over the past year. I was just wondering how bad my VR: 8 and PS: 9 hurt me. Also, does my BS: 13 help me? I was also wondering if the spread of my scores hurt; ranging from an 8 to a 13... dont most schools like to see a nice even spread? I do not plan on retaking the MCATs before applying and was wondering what my chances are for this application cycle. Thanks.

It's going to be tough with the VR of 8 unless you did really well on the College Boards. I know someone who got 12's on the sciences and a VR below 9 but he got into medical school. Unfortunately, he couldn't graduate.

Thanks for all the feedback, if I apply to around 15 schools, I should end up with some interviews right?

You should be fine. Apply early and apply broadly! 15 schools sounds good, but if you can, you might want to add just a few more - doesn't hurt. Good luck!

congrats on BS and your gpas- very nice.

but honestly im a little concerned with the 8 and 9. that might just be me being picky, though. if you are applying to a school with mcat averages above 31-32 i think you'd be in some trouble. i would try and stick with schools with an mcat range similar to yours but maybe 5 max that have above a 32 mcat average