MD What are my chances with my grades and extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsAllOgre

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm a Canadian student (in my 4th year) interested in applying to the US MD programs. I've been wondering if my grades and activities give me a competitive chance at the US schools and if so, which would be ideal for my stats? Or, if I should take a year off to boost my application?

My current stats:

sGPA: 3.80
cGPA: 3.87
MCAT: 513 (128 B/B, 130 C/P, 125 CARS, 130 P/S)

Extracurriculars:
- 5 Hours Shadowing Family Doctor
- 8 Hours Shadowing Neurologist
- 20 Hours Shadowing Pediatrician
- 1.5 years Volunteering in a Biochemistry Lab
- 40 Hours Volunteering at a Rehab Institute (Support patients w/ activities, interact w/ them, etc.)
- Events Director for UNICEF and Karate clubs in my University
- 2 Months working at a Children's Summer Camp
- 60 Hours Volunteering in a clinic in India
- 10 Hours Volunteering with Blind clients (Currently still doing)

I'm currently looking to apply to these schools and was wondering how my shot is for them?

George Washington
Chicago Medical School Rosalind Franklin
Central Michigan U
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
U Hawaii
U Connecticut
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Penn State
Oakland University William Beaumont (OUWB)
Michigan State U
West Virginia

Members don't see this ad.

your scores are pretty similar to mine. Also Canadian. I'd say your school choice is good, and your school choices are relatively safe, but idk... I have just recently asked the same question as you did on the "what are my chances?"

George Washington
Chicago Medical School Rosalind Franklin
Central Michigan U
Virginia Commonwealth
Wayne State
U Hawaii
U Connecticut
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Penn State
Oakland University William Beaumont (OUWB)
Michigan State U
West Virginia
I'm by no means an expert, so I would wait to hear from those much wiser and more experienced than myself, but I think some of these schools have pretty heavy in-state preference and may be unnecessary apps/donations. West Virginia is one in particular that stands out.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm by no means an expert, so I would wait to hear from those much wiser and more experienced than myself, but I think some of these schools have pretty heavy in-state preference and may be unnecessary apps/donations. West Virginia is one in particular that stands out.

the virginia schools take a good amount of out of staters i thought

robert wood is heavy nj so id take that out