What are my chances with these stats? Advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basketballfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have not taken my MCAT yet because I switched majors so I have to stay another year, but going to take it in the spring (aiming at May) then I will apply next cycle.

I'm a senior at Ohio state but will be a fifth year senior.

Currently my cGPA is 3.56 and sGPA is 3.35. I received my first two Cs (C & C-) in what was my previous major (molecular genetics) will that have a big impact on my application? I was also going through some personal problems during that time so I couldn't concentrate as well. I then switch to microbiology and is now taking the major classes for that and doing better.

My ECs are decent as I'm president of a club in my school currently and had a few leadership position in previous years. I'm also a TA for a micro lab. I'm also volunteering at a clinic and tutor kids at Nationwide hospital. I did a year and a half as an undergrad researcher at my school and then I transferred to another lab and is currently working there. I'm shadowing an MD and only shadowed one DO so far.

If I were to apply next cycle what would my chances be like? Also, some DO schools don't take grades below a C, does that mean just the prerequisite classes such as gen chem, orgo, physics, and bio? Does my Cs in my mol gen classes affect it at all?

Thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad.

MD- almost totally hinges on your MCAT.
DO- good chances with a 26+

Members don't see this ad :)
Re-take the courses with poor grades at a community college if you can so you can get the grade replacement for the AACOMAs application. The AMCAS does not allow for grade replacement. Also for MD schools you need to have a 32+ for them to consider you. Also apply to IS and midwest region MD schools. You should have a shot at the region-friendly institutions.

Thank you everyone!

I'm also a nutrition minor and with the AACOMAS my science GPA should be higher since they take those in the science calculation. Will I have a better chance at DO than MD? I still have lots of classes left to take if I were to do well in those classes will my chances for MD be higher?

Thanks!

Thank you everyone!

I'm also a nutrition minor and with the AACOMAS my science GPA should be higher since they take those in the science calculation. Will I have a better chance at DO than MD? I still have lots of classes left to take if I were to do well in those classes will my chances for MD be higher?

Thanks!

Yes.

YES

I'm also a nutrition minor and with the AACOMAS my science GPA should be higher since they take those in the science calculation. Will I have a better chance at DO than MD?

YES
I still have lots of classes left to take if I were to do well in those classes will my chances for MD be higher?