MD What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

Hey everyone.

I'm a junior majoring in Exercise Science at the University of Idaho. My cGPA right now is a 3.5 and my science GPA is a 3.3. I still have to take a year of physics, physiology, biochem, microbio, and Orgo 2 before I take the MCAT in 2015. I have 2 summers of clinical experience with 150+ hours of shadowing, medical missions trip to Ecuador as a lab tech, and am president of a club. I am also helping with opening a free health clinic this spring in my community. With that being said, my top school is Medical College of Georgia due to family ties in the state. It's also where I would like to start my own practice. What are my chances for acceptance? Also, any advice as to what else I should add to my resume.

Appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone.

I'm a junior majoring in Exercise Science at the University of Idaho. My cGPA right now is a 3.5 and my science GPA is a 3.3. I still have to take a year of physics, physiology, biochem, microbio, and Orgo 2 before I take the MCAT in 2015. I have 2 summers of clinical experience with 150+ hours of shadowing, medical missions trip to Ecuador as a lab tech, and am president of a club. I am also helping with opening a free health clinic this spring in my community. With that being said, my top school is Medical College of Georgia due to family ties in the state. It's also where I would like to start my own practice. What are my chances for acceptance? Also, any advice as to what else I should add to my resume.

Appreciate any help!
MCG historically hasn't been very friendly to OOS applicants (who've represented only 5% of the class). Do you have a parent residing in the state? Or are you willing to spend a year as a nonstudent establishing residency (or whatever it takes) to gain greater consideration?

Since their average stats are cGPA 3.7/MCAT 30.47, do what you can to get straight As from this time forward. Also, read the school's mission statement and tailor your ECs to establish a "fit" with their goals.

Thank you for the advice! I am definitely considering taking a gap year to work for my uncle's practice and establish residency in Georgia so that I can gain that preference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never been a fan of this "ties" business. To me, ties mean you grew up there or spent a significant amount of time there, or your wife will have a job there this fall. As such,m I do not think your chances for MCG or Mercer are very good. The sGPA is of some conern right now, so I think if rock the MCAT, the low-tier schools are yoru best bet.

Then there's also PCOM-GA, which you'd be lock for. VCOM-SC is right next door too.

Hey everyone.

Appreciate any help!

I actually plan on being married right after I graduate during my gap year so she would have a job if I made the decision to move. But even if I earned As in Biochem, physics, calc 2, phys, orgo 1 and 2, Stats and scored a 30 on the MCAT, I wouldn't have a good chance?