MD what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notadoctorx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these are probably very annoying, and I understand that no one is actually able to determine my eligibly based on a few stats but I would really like some feedback.

So let's start with my GPA
my first years GPA is 2.08
2nd year I failed one class, got 2 INC and received a D in my other so like 0.2 ...
year off
3rd year 4.0
4th year 3.9
5th year 3.8 (in 5th now and its looking like a 3.8 maybe 3.9 but let's be real)

MCAT 41
Physics
Chem 3.7
Bio (my school offers it in 2 parts so you don't have to take it back to back), first time I failed the first half (in 2nd year) then I got an A on the first part and a A+ on the second half. so I'm not sure about this. Failure had nothing to do with the material but my personal problems and health).
Orgo 4.0
English
Psych 4.0

I'm completed my honours at the moment so I have some research.
I also volunteered with a few profs on their research in my last 2 years.
I volunteer at a hospital 5 hrs/a week (since 2012).
I am the athletic trainer for our varsity football team which is a 10 hr/week commitment (since 2012)
I work about 25-30 hours a week at a investment firm. (since 2012)
Member of bio club at school (since 2011)

My sciences are strong for the most part and my MCAT is VERY good but AHHHH :(

Clearly I got my **** together in 2012 but is it too late, I understand and appreciate that some of my earlier choices may unfortunately impact the rest of my life but I would like to know if anyone else can perhaps give some advice/guidance. I decided not to apply yet because 1) I don't think I'll get in anywhere and 2) I want to at least try and add some stuff to make me more competitive.

I'm 24 female, brown (arabic decent with an a-rab last name), from Canada (also studying in Canada) and fluent in English and French.

I really like USC and UChicago which aren't the best but they are still really good schools so I don't know if I have a chance.
In the next 12 months is there anything I should try and add to my portfolio? Are there any schools where my application may be more appealing?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

So what is your cGPA and sGPA? What happened to the INCs? Did you finish the courses or did they turn into Fs? Are you a US citizen and if so what is your state of residence?

The INC turned to Fs which I retook and got 4.0 and 4.3. My university replaces the grade but I know AAMC uses both so I'm unsure about my GPA and also it's on a 4.3 scale. I think I would break with a 3.3 I HOPE because of my 5th year.

(2.08+2.08+.2+4.0+4.0+3.9+3.9+3.8+3.8)/9 semesters gives roughly a 3.1-maybe lower given your school's 4.3 scale. With that upward trend, though, and your stellar (absolutely stellar) MCAT, you would have a better chance at schools that focus more on reinvention and dedication. There are examples of those schools in other threads on the forum.
The other major hurdle, it seems (aside from the Canadian part which isn't your fault), is a seeming lack of clinical experience on your application. There is 5 hr/wk hospital volunteering, but are you helping with patient transport or are you answering phones? Reading books to kids in the pedICU or handing out blankets? You really should beef that up to show that not only are you smart enough to be a physician, but that you also can do the hands on stuff.

Just my opinion.
Good luck!