What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

becool5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know that this is a very difficult thing to ask given the craziness/uncertanity of the admissions process, but I was wondering if anyone could give some info on what my chances would be given my stats. I plan on applying to all of the DO schools except those that have rigid state residency requirements (I'm a PA resident):

School: University of Pitt
GPA: 3.25
Degree: BA in Anthropology
MCAT: 26

Activities: Resident Assistant (3 years), Golden Key National Honor Society, Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, Men's crew, Peer Mentor, Volunteer at Children's Hospital.

I have held numerous jobs in high school and I am working as a high school science teacher right now.

I'm not a graduate student, but I have taken a few post-bac classes at the University of Maryland as a non-matric. My GPA from 5 classes is 3.54.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

u got pretty solid stats to get you into a few DO schools, i wouldn't worry about that. if you consider taking the mcat again, a little higher score could open the door to various allopathic schools as well, if that's what you want. but over all, i think u should be in good shape. gluck!

Hi,
I noticed you didn't list shadowing a DO under activities. That is a requirement at a number of schools. VCOM for example will not make an exception to this requirement. I don't think WVSOM will waive this requirement either.

Also how long have you volunteered at the children's hospital? Is it awhile? Clinical experiences are very very important, expecially when your undergrad GPA is a bit on the low side. Do you have a free health clinic where you could volunteer?

The post grad GPA is good. Was it from taking higher level science courses?

I think overall you should be in great shape. Just make sure you have a killer personal essay that talks about why you are changing careers and why you are picking a DO education.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have excellent ECs and decent stats for DO schools. If you apply to almost all the DO schools, you should get into some school. It's just a matter of where you will get in.

Originally posted by Slickness
You have excellent ECs and decent stats for DO schools. If you apply to almost all the DO schools, you should get into some school. It's just a matter of where you will get in.

This is off topic but slickness have you decided where you are going to go to school yet?

Originally posted by Amy B
This is off topic but slickness have you decided where you are going to go to school yet?
Hey Amy B,
Well I'm waiting on Loma Linda post interview and I should find out within the next week or so. If I get in, I'll go to Loma Linda and if I don't I'll be going to COMP. Either way I take comfort in the fact that I can stay in southern CA. :)

Thanks for everyone who posted. I worked at the Chrildren's hospital for 2 years and also did a summer of volunteer work for a large hospital. It was a part of a summer pre-med volunteer program so I got a lot of shadowing experience. I do have a letter from a DO, however it is a generic letter. Hopefully I will get in. Also, I have always wanted to go to medical school. I teach at a private school and I did not graduate college with any education classes. I am basically teaching out of interest and to make a living (although it is a modest one). Also they have payed for my classes and they have been upper level science classes. I am doing much better in my classes now since I am able to dedicate a lot more time to my schoolwork. In college I took on too many EC's. Thanks again!

It sounds then, that you are right on it for a great chance of acceptance. Write a fantastic essay, knock them dead in your interviews and you will be on your way to becoming a doctor.

I wish you luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definately, if you are PA resident apply to PCOM....I am constantly amazed at how easy and open for this medical school's admission process, but WAY over 50% acceptance rate for instate residents!!!