what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.match2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys , i have the following status : StepI 202,Step II 231 , Step III 220 , CS pass --- all first attempt and i will be graduating year 2015. ( i am a transfer student to the Caribbeam Medical School )
what are my chances in matching in IM or family Medicine ???
thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

If you do electives in the US and perform well, maybe do a bit of research you will have a good shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
-DELETED-

(I have offered similar advice on other threads regarding this topic. I've chosen that I am no longer going to honor this thread or this poster with a response.)

Last edited:
Agree with Skip Intro!! You need to have graduated (OP states - i will be graduating year 2015.)from an LCME med school before you can sit for Step III. See requirements below:
Eligibility - Step 3
To be eligible for Step 3, prior to submitting your application, you must:

• obtain the MD degree (or its equivalent) or the DO degree from an LCME- or AOA-accredited US or Canadian medical school, or from a medical school outside the US and Canada that is listed in the IMED,
  • pass Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS,
  • obtain certification by the ECFMG or successfully complete a "Fifth Pathway" program (see Special Announcement Regarding Fifth Pathway Certificates and Step 3 below) if you are a graduate of a medical school outside the United States and Canada, and
  • meet the Step 3 requirements set by the medical licensing authority to which you are applying.

Agree with Skip Intro!! You need to have graduated (OP states - i will be graduating year 2015.)from an LCME med school before you can sit for Step III. See requirements below:
Eligibility - Step 3
To be eligible for Step 3, prior to submitting your application, you must:

• obtain the MD degree (or its equivalent) or the DO degree from an LCME- or AOA-accredited US or Canadian medical school, or from a medical school outside the US and Canada that is listed in the IMED,
  • pass Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS,
  • obtain certification by the ECFMG or successfully complete a "Fifth Pathway" program (see Special Announcement Regarding Fifth Pathway Certificates and Step 3 below) if you are a graduate of a medical school outside the United States and Canada, and
  • meet the Step 3 requirements set by the medical licensing authority to which you are applying.
I have graduated medical school already since 2002 and in practice since then , I want to re join medical school though to pass hrs year of graduation cut off

I have graduated medical school already since 2002 and in practice since then , I want to re join medical school though to pass hrs year of graduation cut off

^^ Retracted! Wrong post.

Last edited:
-DELETED-

(I have offered similar advice on other threads regarding this topic. I've chosen that I am no longer going to honor this thread or this poster with a response.)

Last edited:
If you have been in practice, I'm not sure why you think you have to go back to medical school.

Register with the ECFMG, study for and take the tests, and get directly into a residency program. Any other way would be a waste of time and money.

-Skip
Skip ..I have done all that , done with steps , no gaps in cv , worked in jcia accredited hospitals , and have 6 publications . Guess how many interviews I got ? Zero. You know why because if my graduation year ... So I want to do this to be in the eye of program director (( fresh graduate )) now question is if you do that .. And with the above scores / credentials .. Will I have a chance in IM/FM? Thank you

Skip ..I have done all that , done with steps , no gaps in cv , worked in jcia accredited hospitals , and have 6 publications . Guess how many interviews I got ? Zero. You know why because if my graduation year ... So I want to do this to be in the eye of program director (( fresh graduate )) now question is if you do that .. And with the above scores / credentials .. Will I have a chance in IM/FM? Thank you
It's going to be transfers student kind of thing .. Only for the clinical rotations .

-DELETED-

Last edited:
-DELETED-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much , skip ..... But u have already sign ip with those , but again there is minimal chance for me with my low step 1 n year of graduation . U think I have a chance if I graduate from carrebians med schools n do rotation I. USA , get good LORs ??? With the same scores ?!!!!

They'll still see when you took the Steps and I don't believe you can retake them. I don't think it's worth the $$$

I can't retake them but I can change my YOG , get us hands on rotations and try for good LORs or even may be make connections along the way . What do u think ? I am heading right or not ?

-DELETED-

Last edited:
What Beth said. You can't re-take the Steps once you've passed to try to get a higher score. It's not like the MCAT or GRE or the like. Plus, if you've already taken the Steps that by default you must already be ECFMG registered. (Which is why it's a little baffling that you've taken Step 3 already, because that means that you have to already have been licensed somewhere in the U.S. :confused:)

I think if you've already been practicing, your best bet is to try to contact programs directly, or with the help of an agency, and see if you can get a spot outside the Match. I think you will likely have to take what you can get, especially if you need a visa. Be prepared to have to have to relocate, literally, anywhere in the U.S. that has one open.

I don't think going back to medical school, which is what you are suggesting, is a viable option. Just my $0.02. Take it for what it's worth.

-Skip
Well , I don't need visa . I am us citizen now . I am not re doing medical school just last 2 years .. And this will give me a better chance to get residency .. I am open to do residency any where in the states literally any thing within primary care is gold for me .. Any program . But once I apply they filter me out bec of YOG mainly .. So u see

Carebbian school has more weight in program director eyes than other international medical schools ... ( correct me if I am wrong )

Carebbian school has more weight in program director eyes than other international medical schools ... ( correct me if I am wrong )

You are very wrong. Depending on the international school, most are seen as better than Caribbean schools because of the quality of education offered there or the prestige of that school in the country. Schools in the UK, Australia and Ireland are probably viewed in a more positive light due to the fact that they have higher standards of entry and provide a good western education often with better quality rotations that the rotations a lot of Caribbean students get.

-DELETED-

Last edited:
Clinical externship ( real one ) like clerkship is only possible before graduation , any externship after graduation is a lie coz u can't touch a patient without license ( bring resident ) the externship offered it's just business . I strongly disagree with u carrebians medical school comes after us medical school and no way any medical school ( international , not Australian or European ) is better simple because those schools gives u real 2 years hands on united state clinucal experince .
I would appreciate insight regarding my chances of matching rather than sway me away from doing the carrebians thing. Thank you !

-DELETED-

Last edited:
Clinical externship ( real one ) like clerkship is only possible before graduation , any externship after graduation is a lie coz u can't touch a patient without license ( bring resident ) the externship offered it's just business . I strongly disagree with u carrebians medical school comes after us medical school and no way any medical school ( international , not Australian or European ) is better simple because those schools gives u real 2 years hands on united state clinucal experince .
I would appreciate insight regarding my chances of matching rather than sway me away from doing the carrebians thing. Thank you !

I would dissuade you from going to any medical school seeing as you can't spell or type. Focus on doing externships/observerships and matching instead of going back to school. Honestly, if you really spell like you type I am worried for your potential patients and colleagues.

Reactions: 1 user
Why you want to go back to school after passing step 3? I don't get that... Why don't you try to get a limited license in state like Florida since you were a practicing physician and already passed step 3... I used to work with a physician that had 'limited' license and he was able to work in county health departments and prisons (jails) in the state of FL ...

I would dissuade you from going to any medical school seeing as you can't spell or type. Focus on doing externships/observerships and matching instead of going back to school. Honestly, if you really spell like you type I am worried for your potential patients and colleagues.
Well, the fact that a rude person like you can be some one`s doctor one day scares me. My typo errors are due the fact I chat from my phone and in a hurry as I am currently doing an observership .You should have admired the determination in me to be a practicing physician again and how much I am passionate about medicine .

Last edited:
I was under the assumption that once you have a medical degree, you can't go back and get another. I would be surprised if a carib school would be willing to enroll you, since you already have a medical degree. I am almost 100% certain that St G / Ross / AUC won't allow this. Whether a new degree at a "lower tier" medical school will help is unclear. I have never seen this done before, so it's hard to know how much it will help.

One option is NYCOM's emigre program.

I was under the assumption that once you have a medical degree, you can't go back and get another. I would be surprised if a carib school would be willing to enroll you, since you already have a medical degree. I am almost 100% certain that St G / Ross / AUC won't allow this. Whether a new degree at a "lower tier" medical school will help is unclear. I have never seen this done before, so it's hard to know how much it will help.

One option is NYCOM's emigre program.
Sir , since you are a program director , then you must know that applicant 5 years and above applications are filtered out . I came to USA as refugee , now I am green card holder , a physician and an old graduate which is Not my fault , what I am suppose to do ? Work at walmarts. I love being a doctor , I love taking care of people and make them better .
What you think I should do ?