What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllUnits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so hopefully am doing this right. I've been reading the forums for a while and would like your opinions on my credentials and what I might be missing, any advice, etc. I'm 36 and so I'd like to start working as soon as possible, which is why my top 2 choices are MSWs. If I got into an MSW, I would likely pursue a doctorate later, after LCSW licensure (Social Work at Smith, so I could continue working).

I plan on applying to:

- NYU MSW (first choice)
- Smith MSW (second choice)
- UConn PhD, Clinical Psychology
- Amherst PhD, Clinical Psychology
- Columbia MSW
- Yale PhD, Clinical Psychology (just for kicks, because I live in New Haven)
- UConn, PhD, Marriage and Fam Therapy
- Hartford U PsyD
- backup: Boston U MSW online; UConn MSW; Southern CT MSW

I am interested both in clinical practice and research. My interested are humanistic, psychoanalysis, psychodynamic. Definitely not exclusively CBT, experimental, or neuro.

My credentials:
- undergrad at Columbia U (years ago) and UMass (diploma from UMass continuing education) Major: Psych/ Minor: Philosophy
- GPA: 3.97, Psych 4.0
- beginning a directed study with a UMass prof this summer and will be conducting my own research
- clinical exp: will have 2 years of weekly volunteering at suicide-prevention service (over 300 hours)
- research exp: 2 semesters in Yale research lab as RA (PI writing letter)
- other: will be doing one more internship, likely at Yale satellite working directly with people in more clinical setting (possibly running a skills group) OR will be doing Yale 8-week clinical internship next summer
- references (who's offered to write so far):
- Yale lab PI
- UMass professor supervising directed study
- UMass sociology professor (which might help for social work?)
- volunteering supervisor
- current employer: Yale dean​
- attending conferences and talks, most at Yale, some have option for CMEs
- several scholarships won
- articles published (non-journal, kind of psychology-ish and personal essay) in national magazines, showing I can write (sometimes, kind of)?
- have 14 years working experience in healthcare, highest level managing department for NYC HMO
- other: non-US born, LGBT (I think this is irrelevant, but some programs are specifically saying they want diversity)
- all my research and volunteering experience is recent. Last 2-3 years prior to application.

- taking GREs this summer, so those could go either way

Any thoughts, advice, critiques, ideas about what I am missing and what I should be adding, or tough love on what I can forget, will be appreciated tremendously!

Thank you,
A-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One thing I'll quickly say--the ability to work while attending a Ph.D. program is typically nil. Particularly if you're on some type of assistantship (e.g., TA, RA) that includes a stipend and tuition remission, they're likely going to require that you run all non-school work by them, and I've not often seen such work approved. Beyond that, just the time commitment of a typical doctoral program would make it difficult. Seeing patients on nights/weekends would likely be the best bet, but that might leave you fairly exhausted.

Between the GPA and research experience, your stats overall look solid, though. If you do well on the GREs (I'm still horrible at interpreting the new scale, but I'd say aim for at least 310+), I'd imagine you should be competitive at numerous doctoral and masters programs.

Forgot to say that all my research and volunteering experience is recent. Last 2-3 years prior to application.
One thing I'll quickly say--the ability to work while attending a Ph.D. program is typically nil. Particularly if you're on some type of assistantship (e.g., TA, RA) that includes a stipend and tuition remission, they're likely going to require that you run all non-school work by them, and I've not often seen such work approved. Beyond that, just the time commitment of a typical doctoral program would make it difficult. Seeing patients on nights/weekends would likely be the best bet, but that might leave you fairly exhausted.

Between the GPA and research experience, your stats overall look solid, though. If you do well on the GREs (I'm still horrible at interpreting the new scale, but I'd say aim for at least 310+), I'd imagine you should be competitive at numerous doctoral and masters programs.

Thanks so much! It seems that the Smith PhD in Social Work allows one to keep a private practice, but who knows how that would work out in reality. Good point, thank you.

Forgot to say that all my research and volunteering experience is recent. Last 2-3 years prior to application.

Thanks so much! It seems that the Smith PhD in Social Work allows one to keep a private practice, but who knows how that would work out in reality. Good point, thank you.

Ahh, yep, for a social work Ph.D. it might be entirely possible; I have no experience/knowledge in that area. I was speaking solely to clinical/counseling/school Ph.D. programs.