1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What are my chances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nickbytheglades, Aug 13, 2015.

1. nickbytheglades

Psychology Student
    I just finished my freshman year of college with a 2.7 GPA, I had multiple deaths in my family during my freshman year which caused my grades to suffer. I am about to start my sophomore year taking Gen chem 1 and Bio 2 with labs. i am excited and anxious but I'm afraid that my 2.7 might have ruined my chances of getting into med school. Straight As are the goal and i have been able to properly grieve with my family over the summer and I feel ready but that 2.7 is just really hard to look at.

ill take any kind of feedback, or thoughts my fellow pre-meds might have.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J Senpai

J Senpai Grab my arm. Other arm. MY other arm.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Shaky grades freshman year are recoverable. Do well from here on out, and you'll be alright.

If you made a D or F in a prerequisite course such as Bio I, you'll need to retake.

I'm sorry to hear about the deaths in your family. Best of luck.

Cyberdyne 101, Spector1, Goro and 2 others like this.
  4. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery
    Rocket Scientist Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The reality is that every single pre-med's 'goal' is to get straight A's. The key is to actually do it. We care about your academic prowess, ie. how well you will be able to survive and thrive in medical school and beyond. The general rule of thumb is that poor grades followed by an upward trend with the last 3 semesters being strong will alleviate most adcom's concerns. If you have a poor Freshman year and a good explanation (like you do) and the rest of your grades are normal pre-med (ie. 3.7+), nobody is going to bat an eyelash.

nickbytheglades and Goro like this.
  5. GiveMeThatMD

GiveMeThatMD Consider this thread DERAILED.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    It's just your freshman year. It may be a big deal, but it surely isn't the end of the world. @mimelim is right on the money with this one. Do well the rest of undergrad, knock ECs out of the park, and explain the situation as interviews come. Absolutely stress about killer grades and you'll do just fine!

6. SmurfingReviews

Medical Student
    You have 3 more years to make up. As others mentioned, you have a chance to explain your first year, and likely that when you are invited to the interview that they will ask about your grades during that time so be prepared. Stay strong, focused and motivated and you will do great. Keep strong, and sorry about your loss.

nickbytheglades likes this.
  7. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sorry to hear about your losses.

Retake those <Cs, especially the Sciences. You have plenty of time to recover your GPA. Just make sure you have above average ECs just in case. Good luck!

8. nickbytheglades

Psychology Student
    thank you for the advice, I wasn't sure which path to take my freshman year and through all the death and sickness I realized that I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. i'll try my hardest to maintain a great science GPA and rock the MCAT when the time comes. do you recommend that I mention the situation that caused my GPA to suffer in my personal essay to med schools?

9. mimelim

mimelim Vascular Surgery
    Rocket Scientist Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No. If specific secondary prompts ask, yes. Outside of that, no.

Goro likes this.