What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studoc28

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be an entering junior, so applying without obtaining a Bachelor's degree. I have a 3.93 gpa, AA19, PAT 19. My DAT scores are low because I studied for two weeks, this was a last minute decision for me. I will be doing ochem research throughout this academic year. 225 hours of shadowing. Pre-dent, national honors club for bio, and just got accepted into my school's Honors program for my junior year. I work two jobs, one of which I am a manager and the other is healthcare related. I am also an URM (Hispanic + First-generation).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

IL resident

applying to Marquette, Michigan, Indiana, Texas A&M, and SIU

I hope you are not applying right at the very moment? People rarely get accepted w/o a bachelor's degree. You can get the ADEA guide and see how many people were accepted at each of those schools without a degree. What's the rush for anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Marquette had 1 last year, Michigan had 3, Texas 0, Indiana had 1 as well. If I could save a year of my life and a year of tuition/salary, why shouldn't I? I figured it was worth the opportunity, worst case I will retake the DAT next May and hopefully perform very well. Otherwise, my DAT is average for these schools (below for Mich) and my gpa is way above average.

For applying without a bachelor's, I think your DAT is too low. But if you're 100% set on applying right now, nothing anyone says here will stop you.

There are many reasons dental schools prefer to select applicants who will have a bachelors degree. UCSF and many other schools believes,
"A degree is strongly recommended because it provides you with a broad, liberal education. A degree also provides you with a major field of study." Thus there are normally none or a very minimal number of non-degree applicants selected, wouldn't you want something to fall back on if dental school does not end up working out? At the end of the day if you have the funds to spare then by all means apply, good luck.

In your opinion, would it make a difference if I retook the DAT in Late December/Early January, or is that too late into the application cycle?

Doesn't my GPA and background compensate for something?

In your opinion, would it make a difference if I retook the DAT in Late December/Early January, or is that too late into the application cycle?

Doesn't my GPA and background compensate for something?
I mean, I'm no adcom, but I think your DAT is perfectly fine if you were getting a bachelor's degree. Early admissions candidates seem to be held to a much higher standard even for consideration. And yes I think that's too late to retake for this cycle. Most schools want everything in by December I think.
I know you're not applying to Pitt, but these are their standards
http://www.dental.pitt.edu/admission-requirements

Thank you, that was helpful ^. Well, for Pitt I just meet the cutoff for AA, however, my GPA is well above. I guess the only thing I can do is wait and see. Worst case, I will be much more prepared for the DAT next May and apply with a better application for the following cycle!

Thank you, that was helpful ^. Well, for Pitt I just meet the cutoff for AA, however, my GPA is well above. I guess the only thing I can do is wait and see. Worst case, I will be much more prepared for the DAT next May and apply with a better application for the following cycle!
No, that's the AA for regular applicants. For early, it says:
"
Early admission will be considered for applicants who have:

• A minimum GPA of 3.9 (both science and non-science)
  • A minimum score of 23 on the DAT (academic average)
  • All pre-requisites complete prior to matriculation and the majority should be complete prior to application
Applicants who wish to be considered for Early Admission must write a letter of intent that is no more than one single-spaced page. The letter of intent should be sent via e-mail to the Office of Student Affairs."

Again, that's just one school, but these might be the stats of your competitors. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
As an entering junior, your chances are already incredibly low, as you'd be matriculating without a degree. On top of that, your DAT is subpar, so you are not a stand-out candidate.

I wouldn't waste your time or money applying this cycle. If anything, rushing to take the DAT in 2 weeks hurt your application by weakening the credibility of your high GPA (easy classes? grade inflation?).

Reactions: 1 user
Damn, where were you guys three weeks ago!? When I posted a thread asking if it was worth it. Pitts has higher stats than the schools I apply to aside for Michigan. I am being optimistic for Marqueete, IU and SIU. If my GPA is so much higher than average (my school is well-known in Midwest and well-represented ...not Loyola where they have the GPA inflation rumors), why wouldn't I have even have a chance? I know that applying early is very hard and unfortunately I did not have enough time to prepare, but these three schools all have an average acceptance of 19-19.8 for AA, and GPA 3.5-3.7. Unless you are implying that you think they put me in a different "pool" with only applicants w/o bachelor's.

I already submitted my app on August 6th, so I guess I will wait and see! Like I said earlier, worst case I will retake the DAT in May and now I have a much better idea how to prepare and hopefully maintain a 3.9+ GPA.

Damn, where were you guys three weeks ago!? When I posted a thread asking if it was worth it. Pitts has higher stats than the schools I apply to aside for Michigan. I am being optimistic for Marqueete, IU and SIU. If my GPA is so much higher than average (my school is well-known in Midwest and well-represented ...not Loyola where they have the GPA inflation rumors), why wouldn't I have even have a chance? I know that applying early is very hard and unfortunately I did not have enough time to prepare, but these three schools all have an average acceptance of 19-19.8 for AA, and GPA 3.5-3.7. Unless you are implying that you think they put me in a different "pool" with only applicants w/o bachelor's.

I already submitted my app on August 6th, so I guess I will wait and see! Like I said earlier, worst case I will retake the DAT in May and now I have a much better idea how to prepare and hopefully maintain a 3.9+ GPA.
I'm pretty sure they do put you in a different pool with only applicants without a bachelor's. When you think about it, it's easier to maintain a 3.9 GPA with fewer years of school. Senior year is likely when you'd be taking upper level classes, where as earlier in your academic career you'd be taking intro classes.

Most students apply following their junior year, right? So without stats from Senior year, but yes my junior classes should be slightly harder than sophomore year. Sophomore year I took Orgo 1, Orgo 2, microbio, physics 1, anatomy, and bio stats for science. Junior year I will be doing biochem, cell bio, genetics, physio, physics 2, and analytical chem.

Most students apply following their junior year, right? So without stats from Senior year, but yes my junior classes should be slightly harder than sophomore year. Sophomore year I took Orgo 1, Orgo 2, microbio, physics 1, anatomy, and bio stats for science. Junior year I will be doing biochem, cell bio, genetics, physio, physics 2, and analytical chem.
Right that's what I meant. My bad!