Hero6

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
I'm Hispanic, 27 yrs old, I have 2 kids and been married 7 years. Worked 30 hrs plus per week and attended school full time. Have 250+ shadowing hours and been involved in dentistry for the past 2 yrs through volunteering and temping with a dental office on top of the 250 shadowing. My grades aren't best though. Overall GPA 3.20. DAT AA 17, TS 16, org 17, gen 14, bio 16, RC 22, QR 15, PA 21. I've applied to Unlv, Tufts, Midwestern Illinois, Meharry, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston. I'm Texas Resident. What are my chances of interviews/acceptance? Should I apply to UNE? Any suggestion are appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Toothbrush Brother

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
EDIT: NVM see it now
Honestly, your chances are extremely slim to none. Your GPA is considered on the low side for Texas and your DAT is below average for all the schools you listed. Many schools will put your application aside if you get under 17 on any section of the DAT. You should retake the DAT and try to get a high score.

Reactions: MRZ8
OP
Hero6

Hero6

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
EDIT: NVM see it now
Honestly, your chances are extremely slim to none. Your GPA is considered on the low side for Texas and your DAT is below average for all the schools you listed. Many schools will put your application aside if you get under 17 on any section of the DAT. You should retake the DAT and try to get a high score.
Should I retake it now or wait and see what happens and go for either postbacc or 1yr masters to boost GPA and then apply again? My freshmen year is what is killing my GPA which was back in 2006....

Toothbrush Brother

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I think your best bet would be to go for either postbacc or masters to boost your GPA and then taking your DAT. I doubt you'd be able to study and take the dat within the next few weeks so this cycle is probably a lost cause.

OP
Hero6

Hero6

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Does a master with a thesis look better than non thesis? Any good postbacc programs aside from Baylor? I'm trying to have some of a plan for the next year or so for my family.....

Aug 4, 2015
Status
Dental Student
You probably need to retake the DAT to have a chance. You say that your Freshman grades bring down your GPA which I am sure is true; but your "low" DAT scores don't fit in with your narrative that you had one bad year of grades followed by a constant improvement.

Toothbrush Brother

2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Does a master with a thesis look better than non thesis? Any good postbacc programs aside from Baylor? I'm trying to have some of a plan for the next year or so for my family.....
This questions would probably be best answered by someone who's experience a master/postbacc program already. BTW, what is your science GPA?

OP
Hero6

Hero6

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
Still have two semester left and I'm on track on improving my GPA by .2 which will leave me at 3.4 for undergrad with biology major and three minors (chemistry, English, Spanish). Other than DAT what else needs improvement?

jsptr986

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2015
if you want a chance this year you need to retake the DAT. especially in tx, avg scores for accepted students are 19-20 and baylor is pushing 21.

mds7

5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2012
Status
Dental Student
I would retake DAT but Meharry dat is a 17 so I wouldn't totally give up all hope.

mds7

5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2012
Status
Dental Student
I think I have to have a lot of Spanish credits

OP
Hero6

Hero6

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
I would retake DAT but Meharry dat is a 17 so I wouldn't totally give up all hope.
I won't give up hope thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping that my EC and my recommendation letters speak for me. I do a lot of community service and one of my recommendations letters is from a prestigious Oral Surgeon.

OP
Hero6

Hero6

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
if you want a chance this year you need to retake the DAT. especially in tx, avg scores for accepted students are 19-20 and baylor is pushing 21.
I'm going to apply to the post bacc program for baylor.