What are my chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basid85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I currently have a 3.1 science gpa and a 3.58 overall. I haven't taken my DAT yet, just wondering if I have any chance of getting into a New York dental school and what DAT score should I aim for?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you take a look at the 2015 Guide to Dental School Admission that is stickied on this forum you can find out all the info that you need. Also don't try to shoot for a score, it is more that you want to be able to consistently execute a competitive score on your practice exams when you are studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I currently have a 3.1 science gpa and a 3.58 overall. I haven't taken my DAT yet, just wondering if I have any chance of getting into a New York dental school and what DAT score should I aim for?
Thanks

Sorry to say this, but, this post is meaningless without a DAT score

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks

Nobody can tell anything just by your gpa. Admissions looks at much more than that such as DAT, ECs, work experience, volunteering, etc.

1) You still have work to do.
2) Look into schools other than NYU as well.

Aim for the highest possible score... What do you mean what you should aim for? Always aim for 30.

Reactions: 2 users
Eh nothing wrong with being somewhat reasonable. I aimed for 25.

Reactions: 1 user
Every morning during the summer in which I studied for the DAT, I ran 25 hill repeats, took 25 sips out of the water fountain, tried to round anything into groups of 25, used anything that was number 25 including the locker at the Prometric Center. I just wanted to stamp the number 25 in my head because that was what I was aiming to get.

You already know what my Academic Average ended up being ;)

Did you go bald by the end?

Reactions: 1 users
Every morning during the summer in which I studied for the DAT, I ran 25 hill repeats, took 25 sips out of the water fountain, tried to round anything into groups of 25, used anything that was number 25 including the locker at the Prometric Center. I just wanted to stamp the number 25 in my head because that was what I was aiming to get.

You already know what my Academic Average ended up being ;)

Goshdarnit. I went about my studying all wrong. No wonder.

Did you go bald by the end?
My hairline has actually receded a tiny bit, but I'm not too worried about it. I don't know if my student loan payments or hair will last longer, but by that point I'll be totally okay with going stubble and shaved head; the Jason Statham look.

th

Edit: SDNers who have met me in real life on the interview trail can attest to the fact that I kind of look like a less handsome version of this already...

th

Edit: SDNers who have met me in real life on the interview trail can attest to the fact that I kind of look like a less handsome version of this already...

He speaks the truth, people :thumbup: Hahaha

But you're far too humble, @rxdmx372, you're obviously wayyyyyy more attractive than that guy;)

Last edited:
If you're an URM, NYU will take you with a 17 AA.

Try to raise your science GPA. A very good DAT should help offset that low score.